PDA

View Full Version : Spark plug thoughts

dagod16
05-11-2013, 06:30 AM
Before I change my spark plugs does anyone have any thoughts as to a brand they love or hate. What should I avoid? What is cheap quality? What is good!!!

Your thoughts please. The manual says get inexpensive plugs because performance wont change with the expensive plugs but some brands work better than others.

Thanks again.

I'm able to do so many repairs and upgrades myself because of this site!!

Thanks

Rob

OrangeXJ
05-11-2013, 07:55 AM
I would go with Champion I've had good luck with them

cpttuna
05-11-2013, 08:30 AM
Your info says you have an 01 like I do. therefore I recommend NGK ZFR5N. The original plugs recommended were Champion RC 12ECC later superceded by the above. There should be a recommended plug listing on the inside of your hood.

Brasscatz
05-11-2013, 02:57 PM
I'm sure it's different for different people, but the vast majority of XJ owners say that Champion copper spark plugs are what our Jeeps do best on. I can attest that the Accel tune up kit that I used still gives me a misfire even when gapped properly. I will be switching to Champion copper plugs for sure.

dagod16
05-11-2013, 06:52 PM
Under the hood it says RC12ECC with a .035 gap. It does not specify a brand. Does NGK or champion break more than others? Ive never had one break.

Also does anyone put di a electric grease on the back end of the pug after install to make sure it's a good connection?

Also how long does the spark plug bar last? Ya know that thingy that replace spark plug wires.

Yes mine is a 2001

bulrid8
05-12-2013, 12:48 AM
Never put dielectric grease on connection. It is only meant to be used on rubber boot. It does not allow good eletrical contact. So, if you put it on the end connector, you get a bad connection!

dagod16
05-12-2013, 01:15 AM
Hmmm. I thought thats what it is used for?

Why would I put it into the boot then if it is bad for the connection?

Hmmmmm

bigjim350
05-12-2013, 01:20 AM
ummm yeah dielectric grease is a good idea to use on spark plug wires. Provides a better connection, not real sure what the other guy is talking about.

bulrid8
05-12-2013, 06:41 AM
ok, Dielectric grease does not provide a better electrical connection, it is used on the rubber boot for sealant and lube.

http://www.wisegeek.org/what-is-dielectric-grease.htm

If you want to actually use a grease on the connection itself, then you want electric grease.

http://www.sanchem.com/aSpecialE.html

Just trying to let people know. Have seen problems caused from to much dielectric grease used in boots and it caused connection problems. Take what you want from it.

dagod16
05-12-2013, 10:01 AM
Very interesting hmmm.

Do I need this di a electric grease at all?

bulrid8
05-12-2013, 06:10 PM
Yes, you want it on the inside of the boot. It helps seal out water and keeps boot from sticking to plug. They come off easier next time around.

Best way is to wipe some on the ceramic part of the plug before putting wire on.

XJ Wheeler
05-13-2013, 12:20 AM
I use Bosch Platinums in mine and it does great, but i also have an upgraded ignition system. I put dielectric grease on my plugs as well, i usually just stuff a clump in the boot as deep as pinky will go so it gets on the metal.

dagod16
05-13-2013, 04:47 PM
I'm confused..... If I am not supposed to put dieletric grease on the plug then why am I putting this stuff in the boot. Won't it still get on the plug?

XJ Wheeler
05-13-2013, 05:01 PM
I'm confused..... If I am not supposed to put dieletric grease on the plug then why am I putting this stuff in the boot. Won't it still get on the plug?

I put it deep in the boot so it DOES get on the connector. Its a good way to help a connection and stop corrosion from cutting down the current.

bluedragon436
05-13-2013, 05:03 PM
I ended up putting a decent amount on the little tab on the top of the plug that way it would get in to the connector once I put the plug in all the way... Figured other wise it'd probably be all down the side of the ceramic of the plug... Can't wait to get home from this trip... so I can swap in some new plugs... hoping it'll help the current starting issue I've started having!!

dagod16
05-13-2013, 05:55 PM
Ok so you guys are saying that the grease doesn't need to be all over the plug. Just a dabble on the end right before I push it in the hole : )))))) Sometimes a little lube helps get things started.

LizardRunner
05-15-2013, 08:31 AM
ok, Dielectric grease does not provide a better electrical connection, it is used on the rubber boot for sealant and lube.

http://www.wisegeek.org/what-is-dielectric-grease.htm

If you want to actually use a grease on the connection itself, then you want electric grease.

http://www.sanchem.com/aSpecialE.html

Just trying to let people know. Have seen problems caused from to much dielectric grease used in boots and it caused connection problems. Take what you want from it.

Yep, dielectric grease is a moisture barrier, I use it on battery posts after cleaning and retightening the terminals. It also is good for keeping rubber parts pliable as an exterior coating. It is not good for making a connection just protecting that connection. I'm just speaking as an electrician.

dagod16
05-15-2013, 09:17 PM
Ok thanks everyone