PDA

View Full Version : Ripped it out Pt1

Infidel Edition
05-10-2013, 10:10 PM
I had planned on bed-lining the inside before I even got it home. But it was gonna be later in the summer.
I hit the pick'n pull today and found a couple solid rear hatch supports and a replacement cig lighter for $15.
Not sure if I ran into one of you Portland buys there... but maybe.
I was looking for a dash (the pad looks like a rat has been eating away at it) AND I found 2 that were the right color... but had some %-&*$ getting it out.
Also want a wire harness before I go there.

At any rate, I decided today was the day to rip the old stanky carpet out of the back.
It hasn't rained in a week... and it was still wet.
:bang:
I hate grabbing stanky wet carpet!
Tomorrow is 'attack the surface rust' day ~ and clean out the funk.

THERE WERE FREAKING SPIDER NESTS!
It ain't a hotel!

Anyway, soon as I clean up the rust and seal it nice... I'm gonna pull the from carpet and do the same.
Then, bed liner the entire thing.

Infidel Edition
05-10-2013, 10:13 PM
BTW~ I was at the Pick'N Pull on Foster (by Willamette National) round 11 today looking at those couple xj's if that was you

Infidel Edition
05-11-2013, 08:07 PM
Today was just the rear cargo area de-rusting the floor
After the carpet was pulled up... I used the scrapper to break up the rust/glue spots

Then I hit it with a sander after I swept and wiped it down

I wiped it with a cleaner solution and the applied the rust reformer (just Rustoleum brand)

...I'm gonna let that set and then pull off the side panels and hit it with a scuffing pad ~ and then bed liner the rear cargo section.
I'll pry rubberize the sections behind the panels.

...not sure I'll get there tomorrow as my wife ~ the mother of my children ~ has already planned out my day. And it doesn't include my jeep :P

4.3LXJ
05-11-2013, 08:55 PM
It is called honey do. It happens a lot

XJ Wheeler
05-12-2013, 04:15 AM
Ah yes, good ol rust. No! Bad rust... Go away... :D

Been dealing with some myself. A grinder with a wire wheel is my weapon of choice, although some of it really needs a cutting wheel instead. Now, i guess I've never been learned on the subject but is a rust converter/reformer necessary? I've never used it and always wondered.

Good work so far, what kind of bed liner are you going with?

4.3LXJ
05-12-2013, 09:04 AM
If it is getting to thin, then yes or if it has a hole. If you paint over rust, it will bubble the paint up and start all over again

Infidel Edition
05-12-2013, 12:00 PM
Ah yes, good ol rust. No! Bad rust... Go away... :D

Been dealing with some myself. A grinder with a wire wheel is my weapon of choice, although some of it really needs a cutting wheel instead. Now, i guess I've never been learned on the subject but is a rust converter/reformer necessary? I've never used it and always wondered.

Good work so far, what kind of bed liner are you going with?

There's a couple rust chemicals out there. Since I used a wire wheel and cleaned a bunch of the surface rust off, I just used the rustoliem (sp?) spray on. It helps convert some / but mostly treats the metal so it'll be ready for bed liner.
There's more industrial stuff that will actually cover that rust back to solid metal. ~I'd use on deeper rust spots or 'end sections' that are a pain to swap out. It makes the metal almost like new.

For the bed liner... I'm gonna go with an aerosol based for the inside. I used Rust'o??? on my K5 and it did great. Remembering I didn't pack a lot of heavy metallic items in it. If you haul things that would be in the bed of a truck... you might want something stronger.

XJ Wheeler
05-12-2013, 05:49 PM
I've been wire wheeling it and painting it -primer+paint. Is that not sufficient?

4.3LXJ
05-12-2013, 07:47 PM
This is what they told me when in the six fathom navy. If you leave any rust, it has air in it that will cause more. Since iron expands when it oxidizes, it starts bubbling the paint and breaking the seal. So it needs to be removed or neutralized.

Infidel Edition
05-12-2013, 10:21 PM
I've been wire wheeling it and painting it -primer+paint. Is that not sufficient?

Long as you get all the rust out (in Texas) you should be fine.
On surface rust that is.
Deep rust will make a come back. And most rust treatments aren't that spendy... the rust'o I used was $5 for enough to do the entire cargo area. It seals the metal just a little better and actually chemically turns any remaining rust into ~ well un-rusted paintable metal (or left black is fine too).
A lot of deep rust... I'd go with a brush on rust treatment. $10-20 for the cargo area.

Even when its dry in Portland, it's wet. Hadn't rained in a week and the carpet was still wet when I pulled it. And the rust was scaled in big patches. So I scraped out what I could. The wire wheel on the drill... then a once over with a high grit paper on the orbital.
Finally a liberal coat of rust reformer... 30 min and the rest of the can.

I don't want it coming back under the bed liner.

Infidel Edition
05-13-2013, 12:32 PM
Pondering a mod...:hmmmm2:
As long as I'm going to bed-line the entire floor, I was thinking about pulling the plastic panels off the sides and cutting out some sheet metal (thin guage / but not too thin) and bed lining the sides as well.
Roughly, from the back hatch to the rear passenger doors. :drinking:

** not my jeep... but a before/after "gutted" pic.

The panels would patch the side sections / be bed lined also / removable with screws....

I think I'm filling my "to do/wish list" for this and the next weekend. :pray:
***That is pending the wife's list/funeral services I get tasked too...

Infidel Edition
05-14-2013, 09:55 PM
I'm leaning toward pulling the plastic :turd: molding completely out of the cargo area and
Cutting out some diamond tread to cover the gaps.
They measure ~ 15" X 28" roughly at the widest points.:thumbsup:
Home depot has an alum sheet of 36" X 36" for $38 +\-
Gonna have to see how solid that is...

XJ Wheeler
05-14-2013, 11:01 PM
Would definitely be unique and cool if you can pull it off.

Infidel Edition
05-16-2013, 09:37 AM
I pulled out the plastic molding from the 2 sides and the inside perimeter of the hatch opening. Otherwise, there would be a permanent 1/2" gap all around the floor when I get it done.
Then I went to work on the section under the back seat... and need a different sized star socket to pull the seat-belts up. :mad:
...but it was raining and I didn't feel like running to the store to pick on up.

I noticed a couple of the drain plugs were looking worse for the wear and did a google search to pick up a set.
Not sure how many there are, but the kit with 6 of them ran $5 / the kit with 16 ran $7 ~ and the kit with 24 ran $9...
So I ordered the $9 set
http://www.ebay.com/itm/24-Body-Floor-Drain-Plugs-Fit-Jeep-CJ5-CJ7-CJ8-Scrambler-Wrangler-YJ-Cherokee-XJ-/330919427866?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Year%3A1989%7CMake%3AJeep%7CModel%3ACherokee&hash=item4d0c55bf1a&vxp=mtr

I'm guessing I'll have a few extras.
So the concept is simple... when they're not in ~ liquid can drain out.
But I'm not sure if that's for the "power cleaning" then put 'em back...
Or if some people just run with them out so the muddy water can leave on it's own. ** assuming you don't have carpet sopping that water up like grandma's biscuits.

Kind of wondering if there's a good 1 way valve that would do the trick to let water out...

4.3LXJ
05-16-2013, 09:57 AM
You have other drains in the cab. But they are under the carpet too. You can spot them from underneath. Perfect thing to do when it is raining :D

Carves
05-16-2013, 10:06 AM
Kind of wondering if there's a good 1 way valve that would do the trick to let water out...

I've used marine bungs in past vehicles that didnt have carpet.

Theres a few types in the link that might give you some ideas.

https://www.whitworths.com.au/main_departments.asp?cat=156&cat1descr=Hull/Deck%20Hardware&cat2=395&cat2descr=Bungs,%20Scuppers/Self%20Bailers

Infidel Edition
05-16-2013, 12:19 PM
I've used marine bungs in past vehicles that didnt have carpet.

Theres a few types in the link that might give you some ideas.

https://www.whitworths.com.au/main_departments.asp?cat=156&cat1descr=Hull/Deck%20Hardware&cat2=395&cat2descr=Bungs,%20Scuppers/Self%20Bailers

hadn't thought about boating parts:D
The BungPlug would be nice under the seat / or at the two rear corner's for cleaning it out

But what I was really thinking was a valve like

At least under the seats.
But I gotta wonder if it would readily drain out ~ without any extra help that is...

Infidel Edition
05-16-2013, 09:12 PM
Got after the rust under the back seat today.

Cleaned the dirt and crap like I did in the cargo area...

Found a nice hole starting... I'll fix that later. Not too bad.

Liberally applied the rust reformer here too...

And repeat on the other side.

Infidel Edition
05-19-2013, 08:34 PM
I'm calling this the end of part 1
Got the carpet out of the cargo area / under the back seat
Dealt with the rust...
... and 1 - 2 coats of bed liner
2 full coats in the back ~ wheel well to wheel well...
And 1 coat of undercoat + 1 coat of bed liner under the seat.

**part 2 is gonna be pulling the carpet from the front / deal with rust... / and 2 full coats of bed liner...

***part 3 is when I'm gonna cut out the aluminium diamond tread side panels....
And a final 2 coats of bed liner

Infidel Edition
05-19-2013, 08:37 PM
... wrong pic of the under seat section...
This is the finished pic