PDA

View Full Version : Test Driving 4wd in the City

abebehrmann
05-10-2013, 10:04 AM
Hi Guys,
This might be a stupid question, but in the coming weeks I plan on test driving a number of 4wd XJ's a lot of which are located in cities. I was wondering, what is the best way to test that the 4wd system is working properly when there is only dry pavement for as far as the eye can see? The last XJ I test drove was (luckily) fairly close to a park with a big gravel lot but I don't think I'll be as lucky next time.
Thanks in advance for all your advice,
Abe

Mudderoy
05-10-2013, 10:18 AM
Hi Guys,
This might be a stupid question, but in the coming weeks I plan on test driving a number of 4wd XJ's a lot of which are located in cities. I was wondering, what is the best way to test that the 4wd system is working properly when there is only dry pavement for as far as the eye can see? The last XJ I test drove was (luckily) fairly close to a park with a big gravel lot but I don't think I'll be as lucky next time.
Thanks in advance for all your advice,
Abe

Wait for more opinions that just mine, but if it's a NP242 you'll be good on dry pavement if you slide it into Full Time 4wd. Now Part Time 4wd will be tricky. The problem comes when you make turns. Going straight you should be fine on dry pavement.

I would think about the only thing you could test on drive pavement is if the chain and gears are in good shape. Certainly a stretched chain and worn gears will lead to popping as the chain skips over the gear teeth.

The only thing is I don't know how you'll be able to tell if the 4wd is actually working.

Brasscatz
05-10-2013, 12:08 PM
I was going to say the same thing as Tony. find a parking lot and drive in a straight line slowly. Turn the wheel only for a quick second (crawling at a snail's pace) and you'll feel it if you're in 4x4.... but only do it for a QUICK second! Other than that, keep it straight as an arrow!

4.3LXJ
05-10-2013, 12:38 PM
Abe, there is one way to test it in the driveway. Put it into 4WD and jack up one front wheel and try to spin it. If it doesn't spin, it works. But bear in mind that you will probably have to have the engine running if it is the NP231 transfer case since there is a vacuum engagement of the axle lock on most of these models. So you can see if the factory jack, which should be there anyway works too.