PDA

View Full Version : A/C Woes

defibvt
05-07-2013, 12:52 PM
Here is the back story. My a/c went out completely, nothing worked, just hot air. :( I had it diagnosed by a local reputable shop and was told that the compressor had disintegrated and that there were metal shavings throughout the system. :confused:

So, I got the bright idea that I could change out the whole system and fix it myself. :cheerleader: My buddy and got it all done after about 3 weeks of working on it on our spare time. :rolleye0012: Our biggest conumdrum was what the D and S meant on the compressor. After some research, a phone call to the dealership, I was told the the D was for discharge and it was the high side and that the S was for suction and the low side. After all lines were hooked up, PAG oil put in the system, and R134a put in the system we figured we had it licked.

But no :bang:, For some reason the compressor does not want to kick on. Remember this is a new compressor. We jumped the compressor and are able to get to engage and work but hooking up to the OEM wiring does not work.

Today I changed out the relay under the hood and nothing happened. I am stumped. Any ideas are appreciated?

NW99XJ
05-07-2013, 01:02 PM
There is a pressure switch that controls the clutch on the compressor......
If you did not evacuate (pull proper enough vacuum), and then let it sit for long enough to verify that you do not have any leaks,
then you would not be able to fill the system enough with the proper amount of Freon.....
If the system does not see the proper pressure of Freon, then the switch will not trip, thus....not allowing the compressor to turn on.

Now with that said.... by jumping the switch and getting the compressor to kick on, COULD mean that you potentially have a bad pressure switch in the system.
This is of course assuming you pulled vacuum, verified no leaks, and charged the system up to the recommended level.

4.3LXJ
05-07-2013, 01:54 PM
X2 on that. The pressure switch will not let the compressor come on if it is low on charge. Also, it is very important to have it vacuumed down before charging. Otherwise the refrigerant will not behave properly

defibvt
05-07-2013, 01:59 PM
I didn't put in the description but we did evacuated or put the system under vacuumed. We did check for leaks and found none. Where would one find the pressure switch and secondly where does one source one of these pressure switch.

4.3LXJ
05-07-2013, 02:08 PM
The pressure switch is found on the accumulator located on the frame rail. It has two prongs and a plug that covers them

Mudderoy
05-07-2013, 02:29 PM
The pressure switch is found on the accumulator located on the frame rail. It has two prongs and a plug that covers them

Its what the plug that you jumper to make the compressor come on is normally connected to.

What all did you change?

defibvt
05-07-2013, 02:32 PM
What did I change?

Everything, hoses and all.

defibvt
05-07-2013, 02:33 PM

Will I be able to get this part from the dealer?

Mudderoy
05-07-2013, 02:33 PM
What did I change?

Everything, hoses and all.

evap, condenser?

How long was the drier open to the air?

defibvt
05-07-2013, 02:39 PM
evap, condenser?

How long was the drier open to the air?

Forgive for screwing up the terminology but if the evaporator is behind the dash then that wasn't replaced but flushed thoroughly with acetone. The drier was open to air with 10% humidity for about 5 minutes while being hooked up. If the condensor is in front of the radiator then that was replace along with the expansion valve and all the hoses.

Mudderoy
05-07-2013, 02:59 PM
Forgive for screwing up the terminology but if the evaporator is behind the dash then that wasn't replaced but flushed thoroughly with acetone. The drier was open to air with 10% humidity for about 5 minutes while being hooked up. If the condensor is in front of the radiator then that was replace along with the expansion valve and all the hoses.

Yeah I get the evap and condenser confused all the time. Okay that's the direction I was going, about the metal shavings in those parts. I don't "think" they could get in the evap but thought I'd ask the question about what all was replaced.

Oh you know what? I think I'm assuming it's not cooling. I guess it could be just not turning on and off by itself. Is that the only issue? Pushing cold air into the cabin while jumped?

defibvt
05-07-2013, 04:01 PM
Yeah I get the evap and condenser confused all the time. Okay that's the direction I was going, about the metal shavings in those parts. I don't "think" they could get in the evap but thought I'd ask the question about what all was replaced.

Oh you know what? I think I'm assuming it's not cooling. I guess it could be just not turning on and off by itself. Is that the only issue? Pushing cold air into the cabin while jumped?

It does cool when we jump the switch and engage the compressor ourselves. I am going to replace the low pressure switch and see what happens. My local dealer says these are no longer made but I found one on PartsGeek. It should be here soon.

Mudderoy
05-07-2013, 04:15 PM
It does cool when we jump the switch and engage the compressor ourselves. I am going to replace the low pressure switch and see what happens. My local dealer says these are no longer made but I found one on PartsGeek. It should be here soon.

Okay my mistake, yep I bet the low pressure switch will take care of the problem. I got panicy when I read they don't make them any longer. I checked on RockAuto.com and they have them for my 98. About $15. :D

defibvt
05-07-2013, 06:27 PM
Okay my mistake, yep I bet the low pressure switch will take care of the problem. I got panicy when I read they don't make them any longer. I checked on RockAuto.com and they have them for my 98. About $15. :D

Dealer didn't have them for my year. PartsGeak did. Didn't check RockAuto because Parts Geek had them at $6.75.

bulrid8
05-07-2013, 10:22 PM
Just Cardiovert it. it will work!

defibvt
05-08-2013, 07:11 PM
Just Cardiovert it. it will work!

LOL. Thanks for the humor. I needed it.

bulrid8
05-08-2013, 09:53 PM
Figured you would get it.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

defibvt