PDA

View Full Version : If it wasn't for bad luck..........

RVXJ
05-06-2013, 06:11 AM
I've had my 97 XJ at the Gear guy's shop for over 6 weeks. Had some 4:10's installed. Finally got it back. So this last Saturday decided to install my PowerTrax locker in the rear. Got everything drained and pulled and the powerTrax all greased up ready to go in..... Didn't fit. What the.... Turns out I have a 27 spline rear end. Don't know why. Maybe some previous owner changed it or perhaps it was a very early 97 model. I don't know but it sucks. I have a 29 spline PowerTrax with no place to go. Guess I'll try the Aussie in the front next Saturday. :confused:

4.3LXJ
05-06-2013, 06:49 AM
You can still have that rear locker. Just get some 29 spline axles shafts out of a wrecking yard, throw some new bearings on and you will have it.

Mudderoy
05-06-2013, 09:22 AM
You can still have that rear locker. Just get some 29 spline axles shafts out of a wrecking yard, throw some new bearings on and you will have it.

Wow that's great. I figured he was screwed. I mean you can get a whole axle for $125(ish)...

bigjim350
05-06-2013, 10:09 AM
A 29 spline lunchbox locker wont fit in a 27 spline carrier.

prcjeep
05-06-2013, 10:16 AM
if you dont mind waiting... and youre in or around the Houston area, there are several pull your own parts junk yards that have XJ's frequently. Memorial Day is a Half off weekend. That means you can pick up a used 97+ 29 spline 8.25 for about $55 plus core charge... If you get real lucky yuou could find one that's limited slip

I will be scouting the junk yards the next couple of weekends as Ive got a front end repair to do on the womans DD.

RVXJ
05-06-2013, 07:12 PM
Yep, I will need axles and a carrier. Unfortunately, I am nowhere near Houston. I am in West Texas, Odessa to be exact. I will keep my eyes open for a part out a little closer to home. As for now, I am signed up for the Jeep Jamboree at Palo Duro the weekend of the 16th - 18th of this month. I'm going to try to install the Aussie locker and new axle seals in the front this next Saturday to get me through that weekend and then find something to correct the rear end.

ArmyGuy45
05-07-2013, 06:55 AM
Well, at least you changed the fluid on your dif.:p

Brasscatz
05-07-2013, 10:05 AM
if you dont mind waiting... and youre in or around the Houston area, there are several pull your own parts junk yards that have XJ's frequently. Memorial Day is a Half off weekend. That means you can pick up a used 97+ 29 spline 8.25 for about $55 plus core charge... If you get real lucky yuou could find one that's limited slip

I will be scouting the junk yards the next couple of weekends as Ive got a front end repair to do on the womans DD.

Let me know when you go, if I have time I'd like to tag along

prcjeep
05-07-2013, 10:11 AM
Let me know when you go, if I have time I'd like to tag along

Will do!

RVXJ:

I read the West Texas as East Texas. My bad lol