PDA

View Full Version : **oil leak help**

rm2406
05-02-2013, 11:49 AM

hello all, as always i get the best advise here...
my jeep has been leaking small amounts of oil from what looks like around the neck of the distributor.. above the neck its bone dry.. also sending unit is bone dry.. oil filter adapter is not leaking either as i verified these things already.. is there any seals that could possibly leak from distributor and if so is there a procedure for replacing it??
sorry second picture is sideways.. dist cap is to the right. also valve cover is dry..

Mudderoy
05-02-2013, 12:24 PM

hello all, as always i get the best advise here...
my jeep has been leaking small amounts of oil from what looks like around the neck of the distributor.. above the neck its bone dry.. also sending unit is bone dry.. oil filter adapter is not leaking either as i verified these things already.. is there any seals that could possibly leak from distributor and if so is there a procedure for replacing it??
sorry second picture is sideways.. dist cap is to the right. also valve cover is dry..

Hmmm there is a little "O" gasket that goes there, but I can't see you having a leak there unless the gasket is missing or your crankcase is getting pressurized from blow by.

Have you ever had the distributor out? Those rings can fall off pretty easy.

rm2406
05-02-2013, 12:47 PM
Hmmm there is a little "O" gasket that goes there, but I can't see you having a leak there unless the gasket is missing or your crankcase is getting pressurized from blow by.

Have you ever had the distributor out? Those rings can fall off pretty easy.

no. distributor has never been out.. what would cause blow by?? wouldnt blow by oil enter the air filter though??

Mudderoy
05-02-2013, 01:13 PM
no. distributor has never been out.. what would cause blow by?? wouldnt blow by oil enter the air filter though??

Well if the oil isn't coming from the oil filter adapter, or from the valve cover then it must be coming out from the distributor seal. The only way I know (others will chime in soon) the only way it's coming out of there is if the crankcase is under pressure. Maybe a bad PCV valve or blow by from the pistons.

rm2406
05-02-2013, 01:21 PM
how can i check the PCV valve?? is it the one up front or back of valve cover?

Mudderoy
05-02-2013, 01:26 PM
how can i check the PCV valve?? is it the one up front or back of valve cover?

On my 1998 it's the one in the back. They are like $4 I'd just replace it. Get the front pass thru too. You may need the grommets the fit into. They get brittle over time.

rm2406
05-02-2013, 01:34 PM
do the grommets pull straight out or twist and turn?? also whats my worst case scenerio here u think?? also ive noticed while driving my oil gauge is pretty high in the first start of the day then slowly after a bit of driving it settles.. it doesnt pegg out or anything just almost hits the last white mark before pegging out..

Mudderoy
05-02-2013, 01:40 PM
do the grommets pull straight out or twist and turn?? also whats my worst case scenerio here u think?? also ive noticed while driving my oil gauge is pretty high in the first start of the day then slowly after a bit of driving it settles.. it doesnt pegg out or anything just almost hits the last white mark before pegging out..

My 98 (after we took it out of the Jeep) had about 180k miles. We tried prying the grommet out, broke in pieces, but not enough to get the PCV out, then went after the PCV, it broke! I had two of the straight through ones so we just used those on the new engine until I had time to get the PCV and replace it. Removing the new one was easy. lol

rm2406
05-02-2013, 01:48 PM
ok. so i guess i'll start with checking the pcv valve first.. im gonna also try to post better, clearer pix..

Mudderoy
05-02-2013, 02:01 PM
ok. so i guess i'll start with checking the pcv valve first.. im gonna also try to post better, clearer pix..

I'd get a couple more opinions before you do anything.

rm2406
05-02-2013, 02:09 PM
I checked over everything again and its definetly coming out the dist neck somehow..hmm more searching the web.

rm2406
05-02-2013, 10:20 PM
Checked the bolt holding distributor down and it was tight. Also checked the pcv/ccv tubes and were clear. checked the elbows on valve cover and they were clear also. I put my hands around the neck of the distributor and they got oily.. the cap is dry around the whole outside. Does this sound like maybe the distributor to block gasket or is there somewhere else in that immediate area that could leak???? Any thoughts are appreciated.

4.3LXJ
05-02-2013, 10:53 PM
Yes, probably just needs a new gasket

rm2406
05-02-2013, 11:05 PM
Is there a way to change the gasket without fully removing the dizzy??

4.3LXJ
05-02-2013, 11:33 PM
No, you will have to pull it

rm2406
05-03-2013, 10:23 AM
is this normal pressure for oil?? it almost hits 80 then after driving about 10-15 mins it settles around 40.. im just trying to rule out pressure in crankcase and narrow it down to dizzy seal.. any thoughts anyone???

dagod16
05-04-2013, 07:50 AM
Thats not 80. Looks like about 60 to me and its normal
Change your distributor seal.