PDA

View Full Version : Welcome BigJonMX!!!

4.3LXJ
05-02-2013, 04:57 AM
Hi BigJonMX, :welcome: to the :xjtalk: forum!

We would love to know more about you and your Jeep. How you found us, etc...

Be sure and check out our XJ TALK SHOW! (http://podcasts.xjtalk.com) It\'s about Cherokees! It\'s like a radio talk show, but from the Internet.

Check out our sister sites, http://www.WranglerTalk.com/ and http://www.di-dah-dit.com/

BigJonMX
05-02-2013, 05:25 AM
Hello you'all.
I bought my first jeep about 5 years ago, and i totally love it. Best car i've ever owned.
Its a second hand, in good nick, with an engine rebuild/replacement.
Over the years i've had a few problems fixed in different garages (water pump - twice, starter motor, basic maintanence).
I've been doing all the body fixups myself, including recarpeting the ceiling !!!
Now i want to get my hands dirty on the engine. a couple of months back i started getting a power dropoff when passing 2000rpm, so i thought a fuel filter change would be in order.
BUT - different people tell me very different things about my pride-and-joy. Some say its original parts, others say its not.
So i need some help on identifing components, and the correct specs of parts.

I hope you can help as i want to make my xj shine like its new !

First, the engine. Other than having jeep written on it, all i know is its a 2.5 turbo diesel. Is there a serial number or something i can find?

Second the fuel filter. Many sites say i should have an inline fuel filter (about 6cm long, and costs $10ish). What i have is a fancy spin-on water seperator fuel filter (like a racor 230r2, $160ish). Of course mine is unbranded/unmarked. So i dont even know what GPH i should have, or micron size?

I hope someone can point me in the right direction with all this. Thanks.

Mudderoy
05-02-2013, 07:01 AM
Hello you'all.
I bought my first jeep about 5 years ago, and i totally love it. Best car i've ever owned.
Over the years i've had a few problems fixed in different garages (water pump - twice, starter motor, basic maintanence).
I've been doing all the body fixups myself, including recarpeting the ceiling !!!
Now i want to get my hands dirty on the engine. a couple of months back i started getting a power dropoff when passing 2000rpm, so i thought a fuel filter change would be in order.
BUT - different people tell me very different things about my pride-and-joy. Some say its original parts, others say its not.

First, the engine. Other than having jeep written on it, all i know is its a 2.5 turbo diesel. Is there a serial number or something i can find?

Second the fuel filter. Many sites say i should have an inline fuel filter (about 6cm long, and costs $10ish). What i have is a fancy spin-on water seperator fuel filter (like a racor 230r2, $160ish). Of course mine is unbranded/unmarked. So i dont even know what GPH i should have, or micron size?

First off, :welcome: to :xjtalk: Second off, 2.5 turbo diesel, wow I wish we could have had the option for diesels here in the U.S. This should be interesting finding out more about something I've never seen.

4.3LXJ
05-02-2013, 10:40 AM
Welcome Jon. What part of the world you in?

I haven't experienced the Jeep turbo diesel, but been around a few diesels. First off, what is your normal RPM range? I think your problem could be one of two general things. Inadequate fuel or air. So, you should probably take a look at that turbo and inspect the vanes on the impellers. If it has an injector pump, then you might think about that. Some have adjustments on them. If you can undo a fuel line and it flows freely, then that part is OK

NW99XJ
05-02-2013, 11:24 AM
TURBO DESIEL?!?!?!
(lucky)
Those are pretty Rare herein the States,
Cant wait to see the progress on this one!
We like pictures around here A LOT!
Post some up!
See ya around!

Carves
05-02-2013, 09:30 PM
Hello you'all.

Welcome aboard.

What you should have in there is the turboed VM motor ... which was a jeep option just about everywhere ... except in the U.S.

Engine model and serial numbers ... should be under the dipstick on the left hand side of the block.

Your best bet for engine specific info, would probably be a Brit forum - as its apparently, a common use engine in different vehicles there.

... and theres quite a bit of diesel info on the australian jeep forum, in various threads such as these two ....

http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=60368
http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=96380

Whilst the 2.5T engine may be an oddity to most on this forum ... Theres a lot of long term experience amongst the members ... in regards to the rest of the vehicle ....

So dont go running away somewhere else and forget about XJTalk - just coz you have a funny engine .. ;);) .. :D

XJ Wheeler
05-03-2013, 09:23 AM
I wonder if you're related to another member on here... BigJim. Same first name. Hmmm.

Just kidding with ya. Welcome to the site, Jon. Hope we can help ya find your fix, for the jeep that is. ;)

BigJonMX
05-16-2013, 03:47 AM
Thanks everyone for the welcomes.

i have some pics i'll try uploading them...

BigJonMX
05-16-2013, 04:05 AM
thanks for the tips. i've uploaded some pics of the engine - they are (public) in My Album. not sure where that is though :(

Can anyone tell me whats the thing on the left ? (haha great description eh!)
In the middle of the pic, theres a palm-sized silver disk. looks like a 1950s UFO on its side. It recently started leaking oil (playing catchup to the rest of the engine :rolleye0012: ). can i leave this as low priority?

And whats with this power drop off? i read many websites for petrol / gasoline engines. but suggestions like 'check spark plugs' or 'check cat converter' dont apply as i dont have 'em.
i tried NO air filter = no difference
i bypassed fuel filter = no difference (replaced them anyways, as very old).
pulling off a few cable revealed no hinderence or blockage...

wheres the turbo when its at home?
(and i'll see if theres a serial number on the block).
:D

XJ Wheeler
05-16-2013, 06:15 AM
This pic?

BigJonMX
05-17-2013, 03:04 AM
thats the one - thanks for displaying it.
Do you see the small metalic disk thingy in the middle of the picture. Strangely it has a small tube connected to the computer? the rectangular box next to the air filter.
i've looked for labelled diagrams, but havent found any answers yet.

Carves
05-17-2013, 04:36 AM
Your oil leaking UFO might be your problem.

Im presuming its the EGR Valve going by the images in the factory manual.

This is what the EGR system does ....

EXHAUST GAS RECIRCULATION (EGR) SYSTEM GENERAL INFORMATION

The EGR system reduces oxides of nitrogen (NOx) in the engine exhaust. This is accomplished by allowing a predetermined amount of hot exhaust gas to
recirculate and dilute the incoming fuel/air mixture.

A malfunctioning EGR system can cause engine stumble, sags or hesitation, rough idle, engine stalling and poor driveability.

Going by the pics Im looking at,

The tube isnt connected to the computer ... but an Electric Vacuum Modulater, mounted alongside the computer.

The EVM should have two tubes ... one to the EGR Valve and the other running off to the Vacuum Pump.

So a vacuum leak inspection might be worthwhile.

I think fitting a blanking plate on the EGR Valve is a common occurrence - as the EGR Valve its a typical eco-freak fitting that causes more engine problems than the number of whales it saves .. ;);)

BigJonMX
05-18-2013, 04:14 AM
thanks for the reply.
i now know what its called and what its doing. cheers. :beer:

this could indeed be the cause of my problems. i've reading about this egr value, and many people actually remove or block it off to solve other problems. my only concern is the temperature as i'm running a turbo.

i think i'll start by cleaning it...

MrJefe
05-18-2013, 06:14 AM
Hey BigJonMX!

Welcome to :xjtalk: ! Looks like your settling in quite well and have some great collaboration thus far.

I look forward to hearing more about your project build. Sounds very interesting.

Take care brother!!:thumbsup:

BigJonMX
05-29-2013, 03:56 AM
So i've still got this power drop off happening.

Annoyingly its intermittent. Sometimes i'm roaring about, bouncing along dirt roads, of drilling along the highway (noisy buggers this old xj's).
Other times i have trouble getting past 2000rpm, and i max out at 100km/h, which around here means even the buses overtake!!

i bypassed the air filter.
i bypassed (and replaced) the fuel filter.
got the fuel pump and fuel flow checked.
bypassed the erg valve (and after a week reconnected it)
= no difference.

My mate keeps suggesting its the turbo.
Any other ideas?
:pray:

4.3LXJ
05-29-2013, 08:47 AM
Turbo?

BigJonMX
07-10-2013, 07:43 AM
thansk for the ideas.
i've been fixing some other issues lately... And next the headlight switch (again)

But i reckon the next job will be the turbo...

xj4life2
07-10-2013, 08:21 AM
Not familiar with that motor but if it has an intercooler , be sure its not clogged , other than that , back to checking out the turbo itself. Could also be an injector issue.

Carves
07-10-2013, 09:12 AM
Have you got yourself a factory workshop manual yet ??

Theres a bunch of possibles, listed for your symptoms.

Things like ...

... an airleak between the turbo and manifold,
... The wastegate not functioning properly ... I think its vacuum operated ??,
... and as mentioned above ... maybe an injector pump issue.

@ 4.3LXJ

Yep ... Turbo .... He's got the little 2.5l VM Motori diesel - that was factory fitted in XJs.