PDA

View Full Version : Cut and roll

SeniorGustas
05-01-2013, 06:22 PM
Does anyone have a link to how to cut and roll the back quarter pannel? my rear fenders have had this done but im seeing alot of jeep that have the rear quarter done and i was wondering how to do it! thanks guys heres what one looks like with a bumper, http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l265/paralies/My%202000%20XJ/DSC06479.jpg

XJ Wheeler
05-02-2013, 02:14 AM
I'm actually in the middle of doing kinda a different cut and fold mod on my quarter panels. Due to rust i couldn't use most of the original metal so i had to do it differently. This is the write-up that got me started. http://www.ajsoffroadarmor.com/pages.php?pageid=12

Here's my passengers side, still working on the drivers side. By the way, the drivers side is harder due to having the fuel filler on that side.

http://i1108.photobucket.com/albums/h401/xj-wheeler/Stormy%202/2013-04-20211351.jpg

SeniorGustas
05-03-2013, 04:17 PM
did you add something to it? the silver part to looks far to new! thanks for the write up. couldnt find it for the life of me!

SeniorGustas
05-03-2013, 04:24 PM
is the "pop riviting" that they talk about nessassary?

XJ Wheeler
05-03-2013, 04:54 PM
Thanks! I did have to weld a plate to the bottom due to rust. But it should look mostly like the regular way.

I think some way to reconnect the two pieces is necessary. You wouldn't really want the panels flapping around, and to help seal it up. Whether its riveting or welding is up to you. Maybe even screwing it together might be good enough. Welding i would think is stronger, but riveting is easier.

SeniorGustas
05-03-2013, 04:57 PM
never done either really.. ha when i cut and rolled my fenders i didnt do anything else. wouldnt this be simallar to holding it up?

XJ Wheeler
05-03-2013, 05:43 PM
Well, with the fenders its just a little bit to hang over and double panels. The quarter panel is single panel and much larger, so it would probably flap/move while driving. And the gaps would let dirt, mud, water, and just plain ol junk up in there to hold moisture. Then you'll have a rust problem. And trust me, after dealing with that you don't want to.

Unless you have a buddy or someone to weld it, the riveting would probably be the way i would recommend for you. Its super easy and cheap to do.

SeniorGustas
05-03-2013, 05:48 PM
how do you go about it? i may pick up some self drilling screws and then put some body filler in the cracks so nothing can get in there. im planning on do it when i get of work today. in about 2 hours

XJ Wheeler
05-03-2013, 06:10 PM
I chose to weld, but i didn't have clean metal so getting that new plate on there it seemed like the best option for me.

Good luck on doing it in two hours, I've been at mine for three weeks. But again, I've had a LOT more to do than the usual cut and fold. One of the great things i found while doing it though, is if you don't have enough time it doesn't immobilize the vehicle. I've been driving mine off and on throughout the project. But i wouldn't suggest cutting it up and not getting back to it for a week either.

Try to get the gaps as tight as possible, so you're not putting more filler. The thicker it is the more likely it is to crack later.

I'm gonna try to remember to check back periodically tonight in case you need an extra set of eye or something. Good luck, bud.

SeniorGustas
05-03-2013, 06:22 PM
Thanks man i appreciate. ive got more then two hours im just off work in two hours. Do you think its worth making another thred about it? and taking pictures of the process or should i just do it?

XJ Wheeler
05-03-2013, 07:06 PM
If you want to, either new thread or this one would be fine.

Sorry about the two hours thing. I'm tired. Lol ;)