PDA

View Full Version : Liftgate rattle

93xj97347
05-01-2013, 03:30 AM
Is there a way to adjust the latch on a 93 so my liftgate will close all the way? Im tired of the rattle

XJ Wheeler
05-01-2013, 05:30 AM
Well, first. What's the condition of your weatherstripping? The liftgate is suppose to close tightly down on that, to give a good seal. If its deteriorated the liftgate will not be up against it, thus loose.

But if its good, you can adjust the latch pin slightly. There are two nuts on the bottom of it securing it to the rear body. You may be able to slip a wrench through the body and above the bumper to loosen it enough to move. Otherwise you may be able to get to it from below, in front of the bumper. A trailer hitch will throw a wrench in your path though. Easiest way to actually get to it... With the bumper off. But that adds removing the bumper, so not easier. If memory serves me correctly its a 13mm wrench/socket for the nuts in the latch pin.

As far as adjusting the latch's position. I don't know. To my knowledge, you can't. The bolt holes for mounting it don't look to be enlarged or anything to allow adjusting and the mechanism is riveted to that. :banghead:

4.3LXJ
05-01-2013, 09:00 AM
There are two rubber bumpers that you can put a couple of washers under to shim them out a little. That won't cure it, but it does help

93xj97347
05-01-2013, 11:23 AM
Thanks I'll try that. The 3 bolts that hold that hold the latch in place are so rusted that the have actually started to flaik apart so I cant change out the latch yet