PDA

View Full Version : Runs like death

jx664sd
04-27-2013, 10:43 PM
Ok so here it is. I recently went through a puddle that blew my motor and I went to the junkyard to buy new one. After installing the junkyard motor I got the Jeep started but it runs rough. It misfires and bucks then shuts off for about 20 minutes. I believe that it was the timing so I reset the timing and reinstalled the distributor. When I install the distributor I noticed that it would not one of with the number one post on the distributor cap its it's about a quarter inch behind. I know the distric annoying be installed one way so at this point I believe my timing chain might be stretched. Any thought or ideas on the subject would be so helpful. I have been at it for two weeks now. I live in san diego ca so if there are any xj pro's out there that would be awesome but any advise will help.

bigjim350
04-27-2013, 10:51 PM
The distbutor can actually be installed way off if the the oil pump shaft is off. Best thing to do is get the the #1 cyl to TDC then get the rotor pointed right at it, may have to use a flat tip screwdriver to get the oil pump shaft pointed at it as well. Ive had this problem before. Have you put a timing light on it?

jx664sd
04-28-2013, 08:52 AM
I have it set at 4°as per the book instructs. When i drop the distributer in in sits just behind the number 1 post and will not start. When i set it a tooth forward it starts but does what i discribed.

4.3LXJ
04-28-2013, 09:23 AM
Better do what Jim says. Find TDC and go from there