PDA

View Full Version : Operation Air horn

Mudderoy
04-26-2013, 10:21 AM
Operation air horn has commenced.

I've been sitting on an Viair air tank and a dual trumpet air horn for a while now, and boy was it uncomfortable.

Originally I was planning on doing the air horn on the cheap. Install the tank and fill it from the compressor at home until I got around to buying a onboard compressor. I couldn't find the fittings I wanted so the project was put on hold.

I finally decided to order the air compressor, a Viair 450c 100% duty cycle air compressor. It came in last night.

So along with the 15,000 other things I need to do to the 98 I'm going to try and get the onboard air system installed, a-pillar air pressure gauge and air horn hooked up this weekend.

Good timing really since I started working on re-wiring my overhead switch panel yesterday evening. I already have a switch for the air compressor on there just have to hook it up.

Pressure sensitive cut off switch should be in today.

Brasscatz
04-26-2013, 07:56 PM
I was just wondering the other day if you had any progress on this thing.

Mudderoy
04-26-2013, 08:02 PM
I was just wondering the other day if you had any progress on this thing.

With a little luck I'll have several things completed this weekend.

Paddletrucker
04-27-2013, 07:50 PM
I can't wait to see where you mount everything. I've got train horns on my semi, 7 of them.:D:D Loud is an understatement. I like loud.

I'd love to do something like that on my jeep, but naturally, I can't do 7 horns. LOL

4.3LXJ
04-27-2013, 08:04 PM
I can't wait to see where you mount everything. I've got train horns on my semi, 7 of them.:D:D Loud is an understatement. I like loud.

I'd love to do something like that on my jeep, but naturally, I can't do 7 horns. LOL

Seven horns on the roof would blow it backwards when you pull the lanyard :rolleye0012:

bigjim350
04-27-2013, 08:31 PM
Sounds like a cool project. Friendly word of advice here: When your done with it don't honk em at me ;)

Mudderoy
04-27-2013, 08:43 PM
Sounds like a cool project. Friendly word of advice here: When your done with it don't honk em at me ;)

Thanks for the advice, but anyone paying more attention to their phone than their driving in the fast lane is fair game. Plus you'll be on camera! :camera: :popcorn:

Paddletrucker
04-27-2013, 11:05 PM
Seven horns on the roof would blow it backwards when you pull the lanyard :rolleye0012:

The only ones on the roof are the stock truck horns, just two.

The train horns are under the sleeper and under the hood, strategically pointed to the areas I don't like people to be hanging around in. LOL They're not chrome, but painted red so they wouldn't look good mounted outside. I bought them from a shop that was going out of business. YOu can get them for $200 or so from 4-State Trucks in Joplin, MO. The same place that does the Trick My Truck Show. I think that's where mine came from originally. The ones on their site look like the ones I have.

There's two pointed left and two pointed right on each side of the truck under the sleeper. Under the hood, there are two on the driver's side mounted on the inside of the hood, on the side and above the fender, pointed forward and one mounted on the passenger side the same way pointed forward.

This is the sort of thing I was thinking for my Jeep after I get it lifted. I'm waiting to see where Tony mounts his first. LOL

http://www.4statetrucks.com/exterior/semi-truck-black-3-trumpet-train-horn-heavy-duty-air-compressor_30734.asp

bigjim350
04-27-2013, 11:09 PM
Thanks for the advice, but anyone paying more attention to their phone than their driving in the fast lane is fair game. Plus you'll be on camera! :camera: :popcorn:

Even so, you honk at somebody with air horns, they write down your LP, the police will be giving you the citation as causing the accident.

Mudderoy
04-28-2013, 02:32 AM
The only ones on the roof are the stock truck horns, just two.

The train horns are under the sleeper and under the hood, strategically pointed to the areas I don't like people to be hanging around in. LOL They're not chrome, but painted red so they wouldn't look good mounted outside. I bought them from a shop that was going out of business. YOu can get them for $200 or so from 4-State Trucks in Joplin, MO. The same place that does the Trick My Truck Show. I think that's where mine came from originally. The ones on their site look like the ones I have.

There's two pointed left and two pointed right on each side of the truck under the sleeper. Under the hood, there are two on the driver's side mounted on the inside of the hood, on the side and above the fender, pointed forward and one mounted on the passenger side the same way pointed forward.

This is the sort of thing I was thinking for my Jeep after I get it lifted. I'm waiting to see where Tony mounts his first. LOL

http://www.4statetrucks.com/exterior/semi-truck-black-3-trumpet-train-horn-heavy-duty-air-compressor_30734.asp

Yep mounting them is going to be an adventure.

Mudderoy
09-07-2013, 12:21 AM
Are there any do's and don'ts for an on board air system?

For example.

I have the Viair compressor that has a braid steel line, and it can screw directly into the 2.5 gallon Viair tank but, naturally, they aren't going to be mounted that close to each other, so I'll have to run a line.

I was planning on just using compressed air hose, 3/8" you know the "red" stuff? Mounting the compressor in the engine compartment, and then running the hose down along the unibody to where I'll have the air tank mounted under the rig.

I mean as long as the air hose is rated for 150+ psi I should be good, right?

I do have a air pressure cutoff switch, also from Viair, so I'll be using that to power the air compressor, switch in the cab to turn it on and then let it handle the air pressure in the tank.

So I guess the size of the line doesn't change the pressure, just the volume of air that can be delivered in a certain amount of time. Will 3/8" be large enough to run between the compressor and the tank?

Now my plans are to run a air pressure gauge, air horn, a couple of quick disconnects for airing up the tires, and eventually the ARB air locker I have sitting here. I'm assuming they make some sort of "Y" or a block I can tie all this stuff into? I think the air locker will be pretty easy since the tank will be located near the rear diff anyway.

Now the air pressure gauge, does that have to be run from the tank or can I "T" it into the line that will be going between the compressor and the tank? If I have to run a line back that's fine, just figured if I could save a connection point on the tank that way.

4.3LXJ
09-07-2013, 12:32 AM
Lots of questions Tony. But first you might want to investigate a "manifold". It is a little block of aluminum that is drilled and tapped with 1/8 pipe thread. You can mount your pressure switch if you need one, a pressure relief valve which you didn't mention. But they are handy if the switch stick on you. and you can T off it for your air chuck. 3/8" line is about right unless your air horn needs 1/2" for a little extra volume. ARBs use very little air. But I found that the red line I had was crap. It deteriorates in engine heat. I use the black line I got from Sears and no problems after several years.

Mudderoy
09-07-2013, 10:35 AM
Lots of questions Tony. But first you might want to investigate a "manifold". It is a little block of aluminum that is drilled and tapped with 1/8 pipe thread. You can mount your pressure switch if you need one, a pressure relief valve which you didn't mention. But they are handy if the switch stick on you. and you can T off it for your air chuck. 3/8" line is about right unless your air horn needs 1/2" for a little extra volume. ARBs use very little air. But I found that the red line I had was crap. It deteriorates in engine heat. I use the black line I got from Sears and no problems after several years.

Ahhh turns out I do have a pressure relief valve. I thought it was just for dumping the contents of the tank but a little research indicates it's an automatic pressure relief valve as well. The one I have is 175 psi.

Mudderoy
09-13-2013, 03:56 PM
http://youtu.be/x2alD4hETNU