PDA

View Full Version : Bigger

SeniorGustas
04-25-2013, 05:57 PM
just graduated high school!! :beer: hell yeah got 1,000 dollars as a graduation present and am working alot this summer until september when i go to boot camp. Im planning to spend most of my money on my jeep build. I'm upgrading my lift from 3 inch. it mainly going to be off road use.. i need opinions on weather i should do 4.5 or 6..? i want to run 33s maybe 35s.. i needs to be streetable to get me to the mud but thats about it! looking for flex too thanks y'all

XJ Wheeler
04-25-2013, 05:58 PM
Congrats!!!

And i say 4.5" so you don't have to deal with the steering. You may or may not need to at 6".

SeniorGustas
04-25-2013, 06:19 PM
Thanks man! any brand ideas? im sitting at 3 inchs now. think it would make a difference if i went shackles and spacers rather then 4.5 coils and leafs? moneys not a huge issue right now.

SeniorGustas
04-25-2013, 06:20 PM
BTW if anyone has jeep parts for sale im interested in almost eveything aftermarket

4.3LXJ
04-25-2013, 08:40 PM
Congrats on the graduation. My advice would be to get a standard 4.5" lift and sell your 3" stuff. Do it right the first time and you will save time and money in the long run.

bigjim350
04-25-2013, 09:09 PM
I say go 6.5". Your steering will be fine. Not many people get a lift and wish they had gone lower. Lots of people have bought a lift and wish they went higher

Sent from my nerdy smartphone

XJ Wheeler
04-25-2013, 09:46 PM
Rough Country seems to be a good bang for the buck and several people on here have their kits.

Mountain Goat
04-25-2013, 10:24 PM
That $1,000 will be gone soon:D

SeniorGustas
04-26-2013, 12:26 PM
That $1,000 will be gone soon:D

Yeah.. haha i use to be a hard core gamer too sold my tv xbox and ps3 for another 1200 on craigslist. any opinions on the long arm vs short arm if i go 6 inchs?

SeniorGustas
04-26-2013, 12:27 PM
hey how do i go about changing my profile picture?

LizardRunner
04-26-2013, 12:49 PM
at 6" you will need long arms

4.3LXJ
04-26-2013, 12:52 PM
You do it in the User CP

XJ Wheeler
04-26-2013, 12:54 PM
At 6" either long arms or short arm drop brackets is best.

For the profile pic, go to "user cp" at the top of the page and then once it go to that page click "edit profile picture".

Mudderoy
04-26-2013, 01:05 PM
Yeah.. haha i use to be a hard core gamer too sold my tv xbox and ps3 for another 1200 on craigslist. any opinions on the long arm vs short arm if i go 6 inchs?

Recently heard from two people I interviewed on the XJ TALK SHOW! say that long arms are really all they are cracked up to be. Short arms with drops are fine.

You might consider getting a good set of adjustable uppers and lowers (I recommend a :xjtalk: vendor Ironman4x4fab.com) and a set of drops.

SeniorGustas
04-26-2013, 05:08 PM
Recently heard from two people I interviewed on the XJ TALK SHOW! say that long arms are really all they are cracked up to be. Short arms with drops are fine.

You might consider getting a good set of adjustable uppers and lowers (I recommend a :xjtalk: vendor Ironman4x4fab.com) and a set of drops.

I've heard nothing BUT good things about ironman 4x4. Did you mean to say that long arms are really *not* all they are cracked up to be? I appreciate all the help gentlemen! Love this forum, looking back i asked some dumb questions hahaha never got any grief always super helpful people here. THANKS :D

nickyg
04-26-2013, 06:44 PM
Love this forum, looking back i asked some dumb questions hahaha never got any grief always super helpful people here. THANKS :D

Congrats on the graduation, There's never a Dumb question.. I know I asked a lot of Noob stuff too and evreyone jumps in and helps me out. (thanks guys)
If it's on your mind, type it out..

bluedragon436
04-26-2013, 06:56 PM
Congrats on your graduation... and GL on the fight to your next one from Boot Camp... What boot are you headed too??

As far as lift... You can always pick up a 4.5" from RC for a really decent deal... and if you decide you want more later you can always add spacers and adj. shackles and go higher that way... I am running 7+"of lift on my 98 and haven't had to do anything to the steering, other than a drop pitman arm... But you can always upgrade that and do OTK steering kits, or 1-ton steering kits to just have a better setup, but isn't really required..

4.3LXJ
04-26-2013, 07:21 PM
I've heard nothing BUT good things about ironman 4x4. Did you mean to say that long arms are really *not* all they are cracked up to be? I appreciate all the help gentlemen! Love this forum, looking back i asked some dumb questions hahaha never got any grief always super helpful people here. THANKS :D

This really needs to be qualified. Long arms are a great idea especially at taller lifts of 6" and up. What Andy was referring to was the binding when articulating with the Y link setups. That is where you use a long arm of say 32 - 35" and a stock length top link that hooks into it to form a Y. This is the cheapest and for that reason most popular long arm set up. To avoid the binding, one needs a true four link or three link on the long arm set up. Very few manufacturers offer the true four link and they are expensive. Personally I used a modified Y link for about a year by only using one top link. In essence I had one Y link and one straight link. This works OK and does not give problems if everything is tight. The only drawback is that you need good bushings in that short link because they take a beating. I currently use a three link set up with all links being full length. Either one will give you non binding articulation.

bigjim350
04-26-2013, 07:57 PM
A short arm lift will be fine at 6" especially if its a mainly offroad rig. Mine is on short arms at 6.5" and does well on and offroad. I have tons of up travel and down travel, my arms have never limited my flex offroad. Now if it were mainly a on road rig then yeah long arms do ride very nice on the street. My ride is more stiff than stock, but not unbearable. Oh and I dont have drop brackets, just adjustable short arms.

SeniorGustas
04-29-2013, 05:47 PM
I'm going to San Diego for the USMC boot camp. As far as the lift goes flex wise do shackles and coil spacers effect it at all. say you had a four inch coil and two inch spacer, would you get less flex then a 6 inch coil. right now im considering a 2 inch coil and shackle to sit at about 5 inchs of lift and running 33s. any opinions. if i get negative reviews i will probably go the 4.5 inch rough country with a 1inch spacer and 1 inch shackle..

4.3LXJ
04-29-2013, 06:16 PM
Unless you bottom out the coil, there is no difference. The amount of travel is determined more by the shock than anything else, assuming equal spring rates

SeniorGustas
04-29-2013, 06:38 PM
cool im picking these up for 30 bucks tomorrow http://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/pts/3772768039.html i believe im going to need brake lines and longer upper and lower control arms first right? anything else im missing?

4.3LXJ
04-29-2013, 08:29 PM
If yoiu are aiming at 6", then yes

denverd1
04-30-2013, 03:45 PM
Isn't an SYE recommended above 4.5"? Maybe you could get away with a front DS back there, but I think you need to address your rear shaft

Mudderoy
04-30-2013, 04:10 PM

Yep, I was pretty shocked. Check out the interview with Richard Gauthier (aka: Goatman) 2nd place finisher in King of the Hammers! Episode 68, http://www.xjtalkshow.com/index.php/2013/02/episode-68-february-17th-2013/

SeniorGustas
04-30-2013, 05:20 PM
If yoiu are aiming at 6", then yes

well currently i have the super basic 3 inch lift rough country sells. it was just the coils shocks and aal i believe. so stock everything else. haha that guy decided that 30 was too low for him after he agreed on it. Does anyone know where to get a decient coil spacer and shackles? im actually shooting to go around 5inchs. Yeah i spaced on the SYE. ALSO i had another issue arise awhile back my rear wheel beering decided to explode and im not lock so my tire refused to spin. soo making a stupid mistake as i do when im learing i replaced the intire axel. The guy told me it was 4:10 gears and i believed him so i installed the axel and wasnt the same gears. I sold my pervious axel (the one the died) and sold it as 4:10 i was talking to the guy i sold it to a buddie of mine who said it was 3:55.. which i did my research shouldnt be correct because the factory 2.5L 4cyl came with 4:10s right? it had the toe package which i believe was stock? idk im confused and i think i should address this situation before lifting more. he did sell me the Dana 30 that came with the 35 thats just sitting in my garage its a disconnect so im not sure if i should just swap that in and call it good? haha Any advice here would be greatly appreciated.

4.3LXJ
04-30-2013, 05:33 PM
You have several issues here to address. First, here is how to tell what your axle ratio is.

http://www.xjtalk.com/showthread.php?t=13203

Next, 3" is the limit for stock front suspension links. You will need lower links for sure and probably uppers as well. I couldn't get mine to go far enough for a 5" lift. You will also need a track bar for that lift height. Plan on that SYE. There are lots of extended shackles out there from all the manufacturers. Plan on brake lines too

SeniorGustas
04-30-2013, 05:57 PM
Bad idea to reuse the diff fluid? haha i have like 1/4 of quart maybe? haha. Thanks that link helps alot.

SeniorGustas
04-30-2013, 05:59 PM
You have several issues here to address. First, here is how to tell what your axle ratio is.

http://www.xjtalk.com/showthread.php?t=13203

No tag :bang:

4.3LXJ
04-30-2013, 07:06 PM
The best way then is to pull the cover and count the ring teeth and divide by the pinion count

SeniorGustas
05-01-2013, 04:12 PM
got a package in the mail! brand new set of 4.5 inch rear leafts and 1.75 inch coil spacer. need to order control arms and brake lines then will upload some pictures of my new found height.