PDA

View Full Version : Gears/Bearings

BlackYeti
04-24-2013, 12:49 PM
I have vibrations at 68 mph +. It has an SYE with a rebuilt front driveline. I also have a rotational tick around 5-15 mph that goes away with the front shaft. The tick is there even if I swap drivelines front to rear.
Laying under my XJ last night I noticed some up and down play (less than a 1/16") on my front yoke.
I also noticed that my rear U-joint is not tight in the yoke. (the joint has about 1/8" of movement within the caps)

I have shimmed the rear 2.5 deg and I can reach 70 mph now with no vibes. I could go to 4 deg shim but I am sure I need to replace the yoke on my 8.25 first.

What do I need to do to replace the rear yoke?
Can I replace the front bearings without doing a full gear setup?

Have you seen any good package deals on 4.56 gears lately?

XJ Wheeler
04-24-2013, 10:12 PM
I wish i knew more about this area but to me it sounds like you need to take care of that play with the rear u-joint.

I'm sure others will come on with better answers, Steve (4.3lxj) has limitless knowledge on the subject.

4.3LXJ
04-24-2013, 11:39 PM
Thanks Jake. Not feeling too well though. Been avoiding the tech stuff. But I need a pic for that one anyway

XJ Wheeler
04-25-2013, 01:47 AM
Thanks Jake. Not feeling too well though. Been avoiding the tech stuff. But I need a pic for that one anyway

Hope ya feel better, buddy. Not meaning to thread jack but nothing serious, right?

4.3LXJ
04-25-2013, 02:20 AM
Kinda, leg is messed up. Big infection in it and all swelled up. It has been going on for last couple of months. It finally got bad enough the doc could figure it out. I wussed out and took some pain meds so I'm not very sharp tonight.

XJ Wheeler
04-25-2013, 05:50 AM
Kinda, leg is messed up. Big infection in it and all swelled up. It has been going on for last couple of months. It finally got bad enough the doc could figure it out. I wussed out and took some pain meds so I'm not very sharp tonight.

Ouch, bud. Be praying for ya. Doesn't sound fun, infections have a weird way about them.

No worries, i'm never sharp. :rolleyes:

Feel better soon, not sure our jeeps can survive without ya. ;)

BlackYeti
04-30-2013, 10:00 PM
Hope your feeling better Steve.

I have done some more searching and it seems there are several methods to replace the yoke. I am fairly mechanically inclined but have never really messed with differentials and the such. I don't have the funds or time to learn how to properly set up gears, pinion bearings, and crush sleeves. Not to mention shims.

What have you guys done in this situation to get the yoke replaced?

I am hoping to regear to 4.56 in the next couple years when I have the cash saved up.

Help me please...

4.3LXJ
04-30-2013, 10:49 PM
Leg is still messed up, but less than 1/16" is OK. But you can tighten the nut on the yoke a little. But don't over tighten so it rotates stiffly. That will give you bearing noise. You may need a new yoke. IIRC the 8.25 uses shims on the pinion bearings, so take the nut off, remove the yoke and put new ones on. I use an impact on the highest setting for this, but a big cheater bar with all you have is OK too

BlackYeti
04-30-2013, 11:40 PM
Well, there is probably more like an 1/8 of play in the u-joint within the caps. If that makes sense. I am sure I need to replace the yoke itself. Should I worry too much about the crush sleeve? Or just take it off counting the turns and get it back to where it originally was. Have you had any experience doing it this way?

4.3LXJ
05-01-2013, 09:07 AM
Counting turns is not how to do it. When you install the new yoke, you torque down the nut until you do not get in and out movement of the pinion shaft. When you are doing this, you must not get it too tight. A small "rattle" which is just a few thousandths movement is what you want. That allows for a little expansion and such from heat.