PDA

View Full Version : Vehicle chip keys

OrangeXJ
04-24-2013, 05:27 AM
For those of you that have those high dollar "chip" don't think your car can't get stolen I had one. They found my truck two weeks after ins payed it off ( in good as shape as I parked) and a got a replasment. I I went to the auction lot to get what was left of personal things. First thing I looked a was to see how bad where you key in was torn up. Still in working order. I talked to several people including the deputy that was guarding the place. They all had cars stolen that have chip keys the deputy thinks there must a "master key" for each brand. Get an alarm that kills the ingnetion No spark no start.

Brasscatz
04-24-2013, 08:02 AM
Could be a thief with dealership connections too. On most newer model vehicles, all you need is the last 8 of the VIN and you can get a key cut. This will not work on the chip however, but like you said if there was a master chip, they could put it on the key they just cut. Might be worth sticking a business card or something over the VIN plate on the dash. My Jeep actually has VIN etching on the windows, so that wouldn't work for me.

Mudderoy
04-24-2013, 01:36 PM
It's the same issue with malware and viruses on computers. They attack the most common, Windows. If Ford comes out with a theft deterrent system then a thief only has to know that one system for all the Ford vehicles (certain years I'm sure). Anything you can do to make it non-standard means it will be harder for someone to steal your vehicle.

Personally I have added one of the following;

1) Coil voltage relay.
2) Fuel Pump voltage relay.
3) Neutral safety switch relay.

gary63
04-24-2013, 07:35 PM
Mudderoy is right you need to change things up.The factery fobs will open multable cars of the same brand.As for the chips they are changing types and adding more bits and all they will end up with is a key that cast you more $$$$.And for the push button start they are :turd: all you have to do is scan the fob and get to the car before the owner.so put your owne set up on in and around and don't tell unknown is the best.

msmoorenburg
04-25-2013, 07:19 AM
Cover the vin is best. I've had numerous keys cut by a a dealer buddy (no questions asked and it only cost me a whopping 7 bucks). But that's dealing with the anti-theft part on Chrysler products. It requires the dealer to program the key to the car. As far as Ford (at least the 06 in my backyard it doesn't have anti-theft chip in the key and it starts just fine.