PDA

View Full Version : Rear hatch won't close

apw5746
04-24-2013, 03:33 AM
Hi All,

New guy here. Own a 99 4x4 XJ sport, and plan to leave it completely stock as it's my DD. Most of what I've searched for focuses on not being able to open the rear hatch and how to do the necessary adjustments to cure this. It's possible I'm not searching correctly too. However, I'm having the opposite problem. My locking mechanism is in the closed/locked position and I'm unable to close the hatch.:bang: Anyone have a fix that works, and where can I get a new locking assembly?

apw5746

Mudderoy
04-24-2013, 03:40 AM
Hi All,

New guy here. Own a 99 4x4 XJ sport, and plan to leave it completely stock as it's my DD. Most of what I've searched for focuses on not being able to open the rear hatch and how to do the necessary adjustments to cure this. It's possible I'm not searching correctly too. However, I'm having the opposite problem. My locking mechanism is in the closed/locked position and I'm unable to close the hatch.:bang: Anyone have a fix that works, and where can I get a new locking assembly?

apw5746

Have you opened it up and had a look? There is a little threaded rod that connects the lock to the latch. It's just pushed into place so it's possible that it isn't connected or perhaps the plastic clip that attaches that rod to the lock isn't connected. Better have a look so you'll know what you need to replace, if anything.

bigjim350
04-24-2013, 03:50 AM
Just pull on the part of the latch that locks onto the latch pin while your pulling the handle

Sent from my nerdy smartphone

Dyne
04-24-2013, 04:57 AM
i've had this happen a couple time (first time leaving a rest stop on I-84!) what seems to happen is when you go to close the hatch, if it somehow bounces or doesnt close right, the latch will "close" without hitting the pin in the bed of the heep. both times i just took my leatherman and stuck the needle nose pliers up into the latch (botton of the hatch) and got it back into the open position. just make sure it isnt locked, first time i had to do it, it took me a while because i'd locked it at some point. force it into the open position while "opening" the handle. hopefully i explained it well enough, if not i'll try taking some pics for reference.

4.3LXJ
04-24-2013, 09:40 AM
I don't want to sound insulting, but have you just pushed the button to open it? I trip the latch manually all the time when I want to leave the hatch open and not run the dome light

apw5746
04-24-2013, 02:53 PM
I don't want to sound insulting, but have you just pushed the button to open it? I trip the latch manually all the time when I want to leave the hatch open and not run the dome light

No, I take no offense to what you said, or feel your insulting me. At 67 I've better things to worry about. :D

I wish it was something simple, but it's not. Prior to it not closing at all, I had the common "hatch won't open" problem. I've looked at the fix, and was going to do it, but that's when the darn thing decided to lock on me. Actually, I think I caused it to lock when I was messing around with the locking mechanism.:hitsfan:

The post before made before yours by Dyne, I believe, is very similar to what I'm experiencing. I used my leatherman the way he described, various sizes of screw drivers, etc., and I think I've made the problem worse. If I'd had a hammer, I'd really done some damage. In order to get home without the hatch opening in the wind and spilling all the contents in the back, I undid the lift supports.

I surrender. :sign0181:

Pat

PS: I notice your location is Chico. I grew up in Stockton and went by there visiting friends all up and down hwy 99. Now that I've grown up, being a gold prospector & fly fisherman, I miss northern California, but not the state's politics and such.

4.3LXJ
04-24-2013, 02:58 PM
Don't get me started on politics. It looks like you will have to take the panel off and get into the mechanism.

XjJeepacorn
04-24-2013, 05:02 PM
Are you sure it's a mechanism problem? It may just need some lube lol

XjJeepacorn
04-24-2013, 05:04 PM
Oh when mi e gets stuck shut I try pushing in and then pulling up but if that fails I get someone to pull on the out side and I kick with both legs from the I side! It's never failed, if the latch is stuck and won't shut try soaking it with pb blaster and push it to the open position with a flat screw driver and then lube it up with some grease :)

apw5746
04-24-2013, 07:27 PM
I thought I hit the button for thanks, but this forum is different than all the others I use. Guess prospecting forums are simple and straightforward just like the users. So :thanx:

Anyway, I just got through soaking it good with PB blaster. I'll let it soak overnight, then try to open per your suggesting. If it works, I'll lube it up and pray :pray: for the best.

Again, thanks from a senior citizen. AKA "old fart.":male:

Pat

Dyne
04-25-2013, 04:01 AM
could you take some pictures of it so we could get a better idea of what we're dealing with? manually forcing it open should have worked unless its rusty or something else in it is broken. if all else fails you could always replace the entire mechanism, shouldnt cost too much to pick a new unit up from u-pull

apw5746
04-25-2013, 08:50 AM
I'm not that good at uploading pictures, but will give it a shot. I just took out the trash and am starting my am routine.:morningcoffee: Cat demands more attention at the moment.pussy I soaked it with pb blaster last night and I will attempt to pry it open shortly. If it opens I'm off to the jeep bone yard here locally for a new/used paet.

Mudderoy
04-25-2013, 10:02 AM
Are you sure it's a mechanism problem? It may just need some lube lol

If I had a nickel...

XjJeepacorn
04-25-2013, 11:30 AM
If I had a nickel...

I'm not that cheap lol!

XjJeepacorn
04-25-2013, 11:31 AM
I thought I hit the button for thanks, but this forum is different than all the others I use. Guess prospecting forums are simple and straightforward just like the users. So :thanx:

Anyway, I just got through soaking it good with PB blaster. I'll let it soak overnight, then try to open per your suggesting. If it works, I'll lube it up and pray :pray: for the best.

Pat

Hey start with the easy first right? If that doesn't work then take it apart!

XjJeepacorn
04-25-2013, 11:44 AM

Pat

Hey start with the easy first right? If that doesn't work then take it apart! Make sure you work it back and forth so lots of lube gets all over everything, after all liberation is what makes your jeep go round! Lol also at the same time you should be able to notice if the mechanism its self is loose while you are doing this. I like to lube everything doors hood grease fitting etc when i when do oil changes. Hence oil lube and filter lol most places leave out the lube even though they say they do

apw5746
04-25-2013, 03:53 PM
Nothing seems to work. Star bolts won't budge, nor will latch pop open.:bang::bang: I'm ready to drive it over a d**n cliff!

NW99XJ
04-25-2013, 04:15 PM
Sounds like the mechanism is jammed.
You'll be able to get to its guts from the inside, and release it, then clean, lube, and adjust it as necessary.

Here's the post I did on the mechanism adjustment found in the "Articles" section on the main page.

Hopefully the pictures at least will help:

Mechanisms wear out, it's only a matter of time.
As it so happens, my rear lift gate release mechanism (the thingy that allows you to open the rear gate) stopped working, or was at the very least being very temperamental.
I've been in the doors of many vehicles, and am familiar with how all the rods, and levers, and linkages all work.
So I figured that the mechanism that latches the rear gate closed, and releases to allow you to open it, would have SOME sort of adjustment to it, and if it didn't, I was going to make it.
Here is a write up of how I adjusted it on my 99 XJ, (this should be pretty much the same for all 97-01's, I cannot speak for how it is set up on older Cherokees.)
>
There are several Phillips head screws that hold on the interior panel on the rear gate/hatch, it is easiest to get to all these, and to remove the panel with the hatch open,
if yours is stuck closed you may still be able to do this, but it may be a bit more cumbersome and time consuming.
Once all the screws are removed, there is only pressure clips holding the panel onto the hatch, use a panel popper, or light force with your hand to remove the panel a little at a time.
Once off you'll have access to the inner workings. The large opening to the right of center is where you'll be working through:
http://img99.imageshack.us/img99/1490/rearhatchadj001.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/99/rearhatchadj001.jpg/)

Using a smaller flat head screw driver, or equivalent tool,
Slide the retaining clip off of the linkage that connects the handle/lock mechanism to the release mechanism
(mine was green yours may be a different color.)
http://img685.imageshack.us/img685/6002/rearhatchadj002.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/685/rearhatchadj002.jpg/)

You'll want to apply force from the right to the left to remove the clip, it will simply rotate off of the linkage with a little pressure:
http://img3.imageshack.us/img3/4146/rearhatchadj003.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/3/rearhatchadj003.jpg/)

Once the clip side of the retainer is off of the linkage, pull/pry the end of the linkage out of the retainer all together (it should come straight out)
http://img338.imageshack.us/img338/8117/rearhatchadj004.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/338/rearhatchadj004.jpg/)

Now that the linkage is free, you can make the necessary adjustments. In mine, it is set up so that as you rotate it, the threads engage a forked clip, and will move the rod up and down accordingly.....
I adjusted mine all the way up (so that the majority of the threads would be protruding above the forked clip) - This gave the handle much more leverage on the release mechanism.
http://img820.imageshack.us/img820/199/rearhatchadj005b.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/820/rearhatchadj005b.jpg/)

Now that your linkage is adjusted, it may be a good time to do some up-keep on the actual release/latching mechanism.
There are three Torx head screws holding the mechanism in place in the hatch.
Remove these three, and the mechanism can be removed from the hatch as a whole.
http://img829.imageshack.us/img829/4088/rearhatchadj006.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/829/rearhatchadj006.jpg/)

In mine there was a small wired connector/sensor attached to it. This is easy to remove and there is plenty of slack on the wire to do so.
This mechanism is not a serviceable part, in the sense that you cannot take it apart and replace anything in it.
You can however spray it down liberally with lube, blow it out with an air gun, and grease it.
This is what I did before re-installing it, and putting everything back together.
>
The assembly process is reverse of the un-install:

Re-attach the wired plug/connector to the mechanism.
Re-install the mechanism,
-(its a good idea to tighten the two flat head Torx screws FIRST - the countersinks that these go into will help ensure the mechanism is centered in it's location)
Push the linkage securely back into the retainer.
Rotate the retaining clip back onto the linkage rod.
TEST the operation.
-(If you need to make any adjustments - the panel is already off, and you will have easy access)
Re-install the interior panel - make sure not to over tighten the screws, as the plastic can break.

NW99XJ
04-25-2013, 04:17 PM
Also, once your in there, and can manually disengage the mechanism from the inside,
get a screw driver in on the outside and work that hook back and forth real good while lubing it up real good with some PB Blaster or something.
This will help free it up.

apw5746
04-25-2013, 04:38 PM
Hey start with the easy first right? If that doesn't work then take it apart! Make sure you work it back and forth so lots of lube gets all over everything, after all liberation is what makes your jeep go round! Lol also at the same time you should be able to notice if the mechanism its self is loose while you are doing this. I like to lube everything doors hood grease fitting etc when i when do oil changes. Hence oil lube and filter lol most places leave out the lube even though they say they do

It's tighter than a drum (the latch that is). My next door neighbor has lots of power tools, including the star bit I've used before to tighten the two bolts in the picture back when I first got this thing. I'll blast it again in a few and approach him when he gets home this evening. If I still can fix it:mad0090: I'm not sure what I'm going to do then, other than carp and bitch:rant: and kick the tires. Probably hurt my foot. Then I'll really have something to complain about. If you can't tell - I'm in a foul mood.:bang:

XjJeepacorn
04-25-2013, 05:10 PM
Lol muah ;)

I didn't see the picture! It's not showing up on the app maybe that's the reason I'm the only one who suggested lube lol!

apw5746
04-25-2013, 06:25 PM
Lol muah ;)

I didn't see the picture! It's not showing up on the app maybe that's the reason I'm the only one who suggested lube lol!
I just went on the forum and I viewed them - strange. Mines a 99xj like yours. If you lift your tail gate, (on the Jeep) it's where the two star bolts are, right in between. The locking mechanism. On the morn or the 24th, I really did something stupid and pushed it into the locked position. I have the Midas touch in reverse. I think I'll simmer down and have one;:beer: even though I don't drink.

Pat

Dyne
04-25-2013, 08:25 PM
well i hope you get it fixed one way or another. its odd that using a screwdriver while "opening" the latch isnt working (unless it did break) anyhow good luck with it!

apw5746
04-26-2013, 08:43 PM
I'll start over as I lost everything I previously input when I accidently hit the delete button:bang:

I finally got the piece out that's been giving me a headache. It's not an easy fix, and if I took it to the stealership to get it fixed.....there goes a house payment!!

If you look at the writeup and pictures NW99XJ posted in this thread, and my two pictures; you'll see where my part came from. There is a solenoid (see where my letter opener is pointed, that appears to be part of the part, so I'll head to the jeep bone yard tomorrow and hopefully they'll have what I need.

Many thanks to all, your comments were appreciated.:thumbsup: Much thanks to NW99XJ whose pictures were invaluable!!:congrats: By chance does your user id mean the Pacific Northwest? Kudos if it does - my ex wife is from Seattle.

Since this is my only form of transportation, other than my feet and bicycle,:smiley-laughing021: I guess I'll no longer dog my 99, but give it TLC.

Pat

apw5746
04-26-2013, 08:48 PM
Oops, I goofed - no letter opener in the picture. How 'bout opposite the yellow mark.

apw5746
04-27-2013, 05:18 PM
all fixed. putting back on the trim is a two person job though.

NW99XJ
04-27-2013, 07:12 PM
.........Many thanks to all, your comments were appreciated.:thumbsup: Much thanks to NW99XJ whose pictures were invaluable!!:congrats: By chance does your user id mean the Pacific Northwest? Kudos if it does - my ex wife is from Seattle.

Pat
Hey Pat, I'm glad all that was of some use to you....thats why I document everything I do on/to the Jeep so extensively, and post it up....is in the hopes that I can help someone else out with the same task.

As for my user name, you guessed it!...I'm pacific NW born & raised.
I currently live just outside of Portland Oregon, but I grew up and went to school in the Puget Sound area. Just North of Seattle in the Kirkland area.

Glad everything turned out well for you.
Take care!
-Josh