PDA

View Full Version : Dana 30 knocking

CrazyCory
04-23-2013, 02:12 PM
OK so it seems like i have a new question everyday. Now that I know the trick to getting my xj out of 4wd I have another concern. This past weekend i was playing in some sand and only while in 4wd I would get a bad knocking sound from my dana 30. Not sure what this is but it dosent sound good. If you need any info to help me out please ask. I dont want to put it in 4wd till i get this fixed. Thanks.

4.3LXJ
04-23-2013, 02:13 PM
The first thing to check is the axle U joints. They can go dry and bad over time

CrazyCory
04-23-2013, 02:17 PM
The first thing to check is the axle U joints. They can go dry and bad over time
but wouldnt that cause it no knock even in 2wd

4.3LXJ
04-23-2013, 02:23 PM
Not necessarily. No pressure on it in 2WD

CrazyCory
04-23-2013, 02:25 PM
ok that makes sense how would i check them with out tearing anything apart.

4.3LXJ
04-23-2013, 02:31 PM
Start by looking. A dry U joint sometimes will have red dust around the seals on the caps. Also, put it in 4WD and let it idle. Have someone drive while you walk along side. You will narrow it down to which side it is that way.

CrazyCory
04-23-2013, 02:39 PM
Start by looking. A dry U joint sometimes will have red dust around the seals on the caps. Also, put it in 4WD and let it idle. Have someone drive while you walk along side. You will narrow it down to which side it is that way.
Great i will give this a shot. I will let you know. ill prolly try it this weekend.

denverd1
04-23-2013, 02:42 PM

yup. Did a while back and discovered the CV joint in front shaft was shot. Cheap parts and an easy fix. My 30 still has arthritis, but I got that problem out of the way... It all sounds like your front axle from drivers seat.

Mudderoy
04-23-2013, 02:42 PM
OK so it seems like i have a new question everyday. Now that I know the trick to getting my xj out of 4wd I have another concern. This past weekend i was playing in some sand and only while in 4wd I would get a bad knocking sound from my dana 30. Not sure what this is but it dosent sound good. If you need any info to help me out please ask. I dont want to put it in 4wd till i get this fixed. Thanks.

If you have the ability to record a video and upload to youtube you can post it here.

The "knocking" you are hearing is there any vibration, or jumping/jarring with the sound? I was thinking the chain in the transfer case when I started reading your post.

denverd1
04-23-2013, 02:44 PM
and since he's had t-case linkage problems, I thought it might be the case grinding when not fully disengaged.

CrazyCory
04-23-2013, 02:49 PM
and since he's had t-case linkage problems, I thought it might be the case grinding when not fully disengaged.
well i have this issue when fully in 4wd just moving around in the sand. and its a loud knock.

CrazyCory
04-23-2013, 02:52 PM
also dosent seem like it jumps at all but its hard to tell when going through sand thats all rutted. im already bouncing everywhere

Mudderoy
04-23-2013, 03:11 PM
also dosent seem like it jumps at all but its hard to tell when going through sand thats all rutted. im already bouncing everywhere

If it was the chain, you'd feel it. Do what Steve is telling you, but now I'm wondering if it's the spiders in the diff.

89Laredo
04-23-2013, 03:53 PM
Spiders would do it all the time, not just in 4wd.

denverd1
04-23-2013, 04:07 PM

put it in 4wd on pavement, just don't turn the steering wheel. should let you diagnose things a lot easier