PDA

View Full Version : Things to check/change when increasing lift from 4.5" to 6.5"?

Mudderoy
04-22-2013, 09:28 AM
I purchased and installed a Rough Country 4.5" lift about 5 years ago. I started with 32x11.5 tires. Later added Bushwacker flares. Clearance was pretty good, so I moved to the 33" tires I wanted originally but knew wouldn't fit with my budget limited configuration.

Now the 33's are a bit close, too close to wheel, the next step? 6.5" lift!

In my mind it was as simple as just dropping the leaf to the last hole on the shackle and replace the coil springs. Buzzzz wrong.

It appears (from looking at it) that the front is higher than the rear, and technically speaking the front has 4.5" coils, and the leaves are set to 5.5".

Now I can through money at the situation and be covered but I'd really like to get a good idea of where I am right now.

Is there a way to figure out how much actual lift I have in the front and the back?

If so, once I have that measurement I'll know better if I really will have a 6.5" front and back, or if I need to get some adjustable shackles for the rear.

I hate to install the 6.5" coils and then wait a week, or so, for the other parts to arrive.

Also what else needs to change with the 2" increase in lift?

Upper and lower control arm adjustments?

Track bar changes?

bluedragon436
04-22-2013, 09:37 AM
I would say pick up the adj shackles anyways... that is what I have in the rear with my 4.5" springs.... Def look into picking up new shocks when you can that are setup for the 6.5" lift... so they won't stop your flex as well as so you won't compress them too much when you do flex... You will def need to adj the control arms, as the height will pull your front axle rearward... as that is how mine is right now, until I can get some adj arms or long arms or something and that is on a setup for 4.5" control arms... As far as trac bar, yours should be able to be adjusted to the needed length..

As far as measuring I have always read to read from the center of hub to bottom of flare... but you can't do that as you have the cutout flares, not stock... so about all I can think of is to have people who know what kind of lift they have to measure from ground to say bottom of frame, or something like that to give you and idea where you are lift wise...

msmoorenburg
04-22-2013, 09:45 AM
Here is my r/c spring measurement after settling

http://i1135.photobucket.com/albums/m639/sellitx/photobucket-11409-1355145005228.jpg

4.3LXJ
04-22-2013, 10:09 AM
Here ya go Tony. It will be a little more difficult due to your flares, but you can use a level to the seam in the fender.

http://www.xjtalk.com/showthread.php?t=8144

Mudderoy
04-22-2013, 10:52 AM
I would say pick up the adj shackles anyways... that is what I have in the rear with my 4.5" springs.... Def look into picking up new shocks when you can that are setup for the 6.5" lift... so they won't stop your flex as well as so you won't compress them too much when you do flex... You will def need to adj the control arms, as the height will pull your front axle rearward... as that is how mine is right now, until I can get some adj arms or long arms or something and that is on a setup for 4.5" control arms... As far as trac bar, yours should be able to be adjusted to the needed length..

As far as measuring I have always read to read from the center of hub to bottom of flare... but you can't do that as you have the cutout flares, not stock... so about all I can think of is to have people who know what kind of lift they have to measure from ground to say bottom of frame, or something like that to give you and idea where you are lift wise...

Well that's the throw money at it solution. $150 for adjustable shackles...

Mudderoy
04-22-2013, 10:57 AM
Here are the measurements that I think will be the most useful to me...

http://i1135.photobucket.com/albums/m639/sellitx/photobucket-11405-1355144862996.jpg

http://i1135.photobucket.com/albums/m639/sellitx/photobucket-7159-1355144880101.jpg

Maybe we should start a thread that takes measurements further forward based on the line on the fender and the ground. Add in winch or no winch. Spare tire carrier or no spare tire carrier. Also Tire size and lift size (if known).

XJ Wheeler
04-22-2013, 12:34 PM
Tony, i think for a better answer to your question of what you need to change a list of current parts would be helpful for everyone to know.

Although, i'm not surprised you're having fitment problems with 33s, my 31s rub at full stuff and i also have 4.5" which is really 5"f - 5.5" r and trimmed fenders.

LizardRunner
04-22-2013, 01:03 PM
At 6.5" lift you will definately need Long arms front and rear.

XJ Wheeler
04-22-2013, 03:07 PM
Tony, i think for a better answer to your question of what you need to change a list of current parts would be helpful for everyone to know.

Although, i'm not surprised you're having fitment problems with 33s, my 31s rub at full stuff and i also have 4.5" which is really 5"f - 5.5" r and trimmed fenders.