PDA

View Full Version : 18 years ago today, my life changed forever.

prerunner1982
04-19-2013, 01:18 PM
18 years ago today at 9:01am, my life was forever changed when the city shook and 168 innocent lives were taken including 19 children. I never thought that I would have to raise my kids explaining that the worst act of domestic terrorism in American history happened in their "backyard".
I was 14 at the time and was just leaving gym class when the building shook. I continued on to my next class at the end of a hall with a set of south facing doors, and that is when I saw the mushroom cloud.
My stepmom worked in the building right behind the Alfred P Murrah building and had a 9am meeting there, however one of her coworkers stopped to talk making her late to the meeting. She knew and worked with many people that lost their lives that day. When she got home that day her Chevy Blazer had all of its windows but was covered in sheets of 1/4 inch glass from the surrounding buildings.
If you ever get the chance to visit the Bombing Memorial I would advise you to do so, it can be a very emotional place. I however have yet to bring myself to go through the museum. There is a section where you can listen to the seconds before the blast on a recording of a meeting that was taking place in the building at that time.

http://c1038.r38.cf3.rackcdn.com/group1/building6583/media/alfred_p._murrah_federal_building_before_destructi on.jpg
http://www.theamericaspostes.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/Oklahoma-City-terror-attack-and-The-Alfred-P.-Murrah-Federal-Building-two-days-after-the-bombing.jpg

nateyz2000
04-19-2013, 01:49 PM
I had the opportunity to visit the memorial. It was emotionally beautiful...

XJ Wheeler
04-19-2013, 03:25 PM
Wow, man. She was blessed for sure. Can't even imagine.

bluedragon436
04-19-2013, 03:30 PM
I've wanted to go to that memorial a well as the one up in NY for 9/11... Both incidents piss me off more than anything else... but those innocents that lost their lives still deserve to be visited and remembered..

Brasscatz
04-20-2013, 03:45 PM
I have a couple friends that were just down the block when it happened. Very scare time indeed. Now, we have Boston going on. When are people going to realize that shootings and bombings are NOT the right thing to do?

bluedragon436
04-20-2013, 04:37 PM
I have a couple friends that were just down the block when it happened. Very scare time indeed. Now, we have Boston going on. When are people going to realize that shootings and bombings are NOT the right thing to do?

Depends on which people you are referring too... and what their thinking and reasoning is in the first place... because in some cases to them it is the right thing to do... just to the rest of the world that is in their right minds... it is complete stupidity...