PDA

View Full Version : Welcome Sawzall86!!!

BlueXJ
04-18-2013, 03:45 PM
Hi Sawzall86, welcome to the xjtalk forum!

We would love to know more about you and your Jeep. How you found us, etc...

Be sure and check out our XJ TALK SHOW! (http://podcasts.xjtalk.com) It\'s about Cherokees! It\'s like a radio talk show, but from the Internet.

Check out our sister sites, http://www.WranglerTalk.com/ and http://www.di-dah-dit.com/

Sawzall86
04-23-2013, 02:19 PM
Glad to be here. Picked up a '98 Cherokee Sport 4x4 for a steal. PO was going to scrap it, so I said I'd take it for scrap value and had a buddy tow me back to my shop where I could work on it in my down time. Didn't take long until I had a runner, new TPS and setting the timing correctly on the distributor had it going well. Went to add water to the rad and wouldn't you know, blown head gasket and cracked head reared their ugly heads :bang: No damage to cylinder walls, rings, no water in oil, just a crack on the number 4 chamber and a slight one appearing on number 3. So while it's apart, going to replace the head, bolts, all gaskets, water pump, and freeze plugs along with other maintenance stuffs so it won't leave me stranded should I hit up the trails or use it as the new daily. Not my first Cherokee, shop truck is a '95 2D 2WD 5-speed w/ 242K on the clock and running strong :D As for my '98, I emailed Jeep to get the spec list, I hope I did good :pray:

Vehicle Description: JEEP CHEROKEE SPORT UTILITY 4-DR
Model Year: 1998
Body Model: XJ J L 74
Color PW1- Stone White Clear Coat MSRP NA
ISD 07/17/1998

Sales Code Description
*M5 Cloth High-Back Bucket Seats
-C3 Mist Gray
ADAP Light Group
APAS Monotone Paint
ARWP Sport Decor Group
AWHP Power Equipment Group
A20P 4.0L Engine(ERH)/4Sp Auto Trans(DGS
BAUS 117 Amp Alternator
BCDS 500 Amp Maintenance Free Battery
BGAS Power Front Disc/Rear Drum Brakes
CADP High Back Bucket Seats
CBWP Highline Door Trim Panel
CDBS Reclining Front Seats
CFMS Rear Folding Seat
CGGS Traveling Inboard Seat Belt Buckle
CGWS Next Generation Front Air Bags**
CKAS Carpets - Floor and Cargo Area
CKNS Cargo Compartment Carpet
CKTS Cargo Tie Down Loops
CKXS Midgate Box Access
CLEP Front & Rear Floor Mats
CSAP Spare Tire Cover
CSC Cargo Compartment Cover
CSRS Passenger Assist Handles
CSSS Illuminated Rear Assist Handles
CUFS Full Length Floor Console
DGB All 4-Speed Automatic Transmissions
DGSS 4-Speed Automatic AW4 Transmission
DHAP Lock-Up Torque Converter
DHNS Command-Trac Part Time 4WD System
DHSP Floor Mount Automatic Shift Lever
DJHS 230MM Front Axle
DMDP 3.55 Rear Axle Ratio
DRAS Corporate 8.25 Rear Axle
EAAC All Engines
ERH 4.0L I6 Power Tech Engine
GAL Deep Tint Sunscreen Glass
GBBS Tinted Windshield Glass
GCBS Front Door Tinted Glass
GEEP Deep Tint Sunscreen Liftgate Glass
GFA Rear Window Defroster
GNAS Rear View Day/Night Mirror
GNCP Sun Visors w/Illum Vanity Mirrors
GTZP Manual Remote Mirrors
GVBC All Vehicles W/Power Mirrors
GXMP Remote Keyless Entry
HAAP Air Conditioning
HGDS Deluxe Insulation Group
JAYP Instrument Cluster w/Tach
JBFP Instrument Panel Black Bezel
JCDS 100 MPH Primary Speedometer
JHAS Var Intermittent Windshield Wipers
JHBP Rear Window Wiper/Washer
JJAS Cigar Lighter
JJBS Dual Note Electric Horns
JJJS 12V Auxiliary Power Outlet
JPAP Power Windows
JPBP Power Locks
KTES STRIPE/BADGE/MOLDING/COLOR
KVBP STRIPE/BADGE/MOLDING/COLOR
K2ZP STRIPE/BADGE/MOLDING/COLOR
K3ZS STRIPE/BADGE/MOLDING/COLOR
LAJS Headlamps On Warning Chimes
LBBP Courtesy Lamps
LBCS Glove Box Lamp
LCDP Map/Dome Reading Lamps
LDAP Underhood Lamp
LDBP Cargo Compartment Lamp
LHDP Headlamp Off Time Delay
LMAS Halogen Headlamps
LPSS CHMSL Lamp
MB1P Black Front Bumper
MB5P Black Rear Bumper
MCAS Rear Body Color Applique
MDAP Front License Plate Bracket
MFFP Black Grille
MHAS Black Windshield Moldings
MMCS Rear Qtr Solid Window Insert
MMGS Belt Moldings
MMKS Hi Black Gloss/Black Mirror Molding
MNAS Black Door Handles
MWGP Roof Rack
NAA Federal Emissions
NBKS EVAP Control System
NFAS 20 Gallon Fuel Tank
PW1 Stone White Clear Coat
QW1S Stone White C/C
RAAC All Radio Equipped Vehicles
RASP AM/FM Cassette Radio
RCRP 4 Speakers
RDDP Fixed Long Mast Antenna
SBAS Power Rack and Pinion Steering
SCGP Leather Wrapped Steering Wheel
SDAS Normal Duty Suspension
SHAS Front Stabilizer Bar
SHCS Front and Rear Stabilizer Bars
SUAP Tilt Steering Column
TBB Full Size Spare Tire
TBLS Inside Mounted Spare Tire
TRLP P225/75R15 Wrangler RT/S AT Tires
TZAP Goodyear Brand Tires
WJ5P 15X7.0 Full-Face Steel Wheels
WKBP Matching Spare Wheel
WLYC All Steel Wheels
XCYS Delete Remote Start System
XJFS Tethered Fuel Filler Cap
YAAS Build To U.S. Mkt. Specifications

Mudderoy
04-23-2013, 03:14 PM
You probably know but stay away from the 2000 and 2001 heads. 95 is probably the best flowing but the 97-98 are almost as good.

Sawzall86
04-23-2013, 03:55 PM
You probably know but stay away from the 2000 and 2001 heads. 95 is probably the best flowing but the 97-98 are almost as good.

That seems to be what I've come across with my research, but thank you for confirming! After fixing the engine problems, the rear hatch comes next via the video tutorial I found here on the site, then fixing the body work.

XJ Wheeler
04-23-2013, 05:06 PM
Still a great deal by the sound of it! Congrats on the score. Welcome to xjtalk, Andrew.

NW99XJ
04-23-2013, 05:29 PM
Good get on the build sheet!
I was lucky enough to get the original window sticker with mine.....
Kinda neat seeing something like that.
Anyways, welcome aboard!
Glad you found us......
We're gonna have to hear the story behind the choice of your screen name by the way!
See ya around!

Sawzall86
04-24-2013, 10:57 AM
Still a great deal by the sound of it! Congrats on the score. Welcome to xjtalk, Andrew.

I like to keep thinking that :o I haven't had the chance to "drive" it yet, but I don't think I'll need to dive too far into it to make it safe and reliable shortly. If not, I can transfer over some of the good drive train to the '95 :D

Good get on the build sheet!
I was lucky enough to get the original window sticker with mine.....
Kinda neat seeing something like that.
Anyways, welcome aboard!
Glad you found us......
We're gonna have to hear the story behind the choice of your screen name by the way!
See ya around!

Sawzall86 is a combination of my favorite tool and my old racing number. I'm not afraid to cut things with my sawzall or cut-off wheel :D It's what I used on the rear part of the frame on my '78 Honda CB750F Cafe Fighter :crazy: However, I hope to not have to use either with this Jeep :pray:

XJ Wheeler
04-24-2013, 10:07 PM
If you were closer and gonna part it out or something i would love a steal like that. :D Just kidding. I got a '90 Bronco 2 for $300, knowing it had a head/gasket problem. Even had to replace one head and still came out under $1,000. Great body too, no rust. And it had some stuff in it worth more than i paid.

Sawzall86
04-25-2013, 03:02 PM
If you were closer and gonna part it out or something i would love a steal like that. :D Just kidding. I got a '90 Bronco 2 for $300, knowing it had a head/gasket problem. Even had to replace one head and still came out under $1,000. Great body too, no rust. And it had some stuff in it worth more than i paid.

I figure if I have to put another $800 into it, I'll still be in the green. It has almost new tires on it, and whatever I take off can be put to use on the '95 when I start lifting it. I'm sure I'll exceed that $1k mark once I start to modify it, but I couldn't touch another Cherokee around my area for less than $1500, let alone a newer one for less than $3k. I took a chance and came out pretty good I like to think.

XJ Wheeler
04-25-2013, 03:16 PM
I figure if I have to put another $800 into it, I'll still be in the green. It has almost new tires on it, and whatever I take off can be put to use on the '95 when I start lifting it. I'm sure I'll exceed that $1k mark once I start to modify it, but I couldn't touch another Cherokee around my area for less than $1500, let alone a newer one for less than $3k. I took a chance and came out pretty good I like to think.

I think so too. Now, where are we on some pics? :D

Sawzall86
04-25-2013, 03:47 PM
I hate stock, but this is where I'm starting from :P

http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa241/LostSoulMiata/cheap.jpg (http://s203.photobucket.com/user/LostSoulMiata/media/cheap.jpg.html)

The picture actually makes it look better than it really is and hides the dents. I've since washed it and checked for other leaks, but I have a feeling they won't show until I start driving it.

bluedragon436
04-25-2013, 03:51 PM
:welcome: to :xjtalk: from Delaware!! Looks like it isn't too bad of a start... Tracking and fixing leaks are part of Jeep ownership!! LOL

XJ Wheeler
04-25-2013, 04:47 PM
You know better than me but yeah, it does look pretty good in the pic. White is a good color for hiding dents. For some character too with the flares and end caps. :D

Sawzall86
04-26-2013, 08:56 AM
:welcome: to :xjtalk: from Delaware!! Looks like it isn't too bad of a start... Tracking and fixing leaks are part of Jeep ownership!! LOL

I figured as much, lol. My buddy was under it for about a half hour telling me what looked wrong and how much he hated me for picking it up as cheap as I did :D Thanks for the warm welcome.

You know better than me but yeah, it does look pretty good in the pic. White is a good color for hiding dents. For some character too with the flares and end caps. :D

You know, I wasn't sure about the flares and caps being painted previously, but it's kind of growing on me. I suppose I'll keep them as is until I decide to get some bigger flares or some flatties :D