PDA

View Full Version : 4x4 stuck

CrazyCory
04-17-2013, 01:03 PM
So when I put my jeep into 4x4 I go and play around for a while. then when im ready to go home i put in back into 2wd. the part time light stays on. i can tell it is still in 4x4 cause when i get on the road it bangs real bad due to binding. so i go back into the dirt to try and get it to kick into 2wd. I have done alot to try and make it work. i have went in reverse. i have went foward and back. i have tried to manually push the linkage on the tcase to put it in 2wd. finally i coasted in nuetrul and kept going back and forth between 2wd and 4wd and it finally kicked into 2wd. what is causing this. Please help i hate going through this everytime i go offroad. Thanks in advance for any help.

4.3LXJ
04-17-2013, 01:11 PM
The thing that gets you out of 4WD is not your linkage, it is a little spring in the back of the case. If there is any pressure on the drive components it will not disengage. So you have to relieve all pressure on it. I typically shift out well before pavement and let off the gas as I do. This usually does it for me

89Laredo
04-17-2013, 01:28 PM
Linkage might be a little out of adjustment too...
I've had three jeeps and never a problem, usually on snow/wet roads above 30mph. Let off gas, push lever to 2wd, drive. If it doesn't pop out right away I just feather/tap the throttle a couple times and it does.
Make sure you are driving in a STRAIGHT line when going back to 2wd.

Mudderoy
04-17-2013, 01:30 PM
So when I put my jeep into 4x4 I go and play around for a while. then when im ready to go home i put in back into 2wd. the part time light stays on. i can tell it is still in 4x4 cause when i get on the road it bangs real bad due to binding. so i go back into the dirt to try and get it to kick into 2wd. I have done alot to try and make it work. i have went in reverse. i have went foward and back. i have tried to manually push the linkage on the tcase to put it in 2wd. finally i coasted in nuetrul and kept going back and forth between 2wd and 4wd and it finally kicked into 2wd. what is causing this. Please help i hate going through this everytime i go offroad. Thanks in advance for any help.

The NP242's are notorious for being difficult to get back into 2wd after they age. The thing I finally was able to use that has worked 100% is drive in a straight line, put into neutral about 20 miles per hours and shift transfer case into 2wd. Sometimes it won't "click" until I put the trans back to drive, sometimes it does it before.

CrazyCory
04-17-2013, 02:40 PM
Thanks everyone for the fast replys. I will be going out this weekend to play. I will let yall know what worked. Thanks again

CrazyCory
04-23-2013, 09:56 AM
The NP242's are notorious for being difficult to get back into 2wd after they age. The thing I finally was able to use that has worked 100% is drive in a straight line, put into neutral about 20 miles per hours and shift transfer case into 2wd. Sometimes it won't "click" until I put the trans back to drive, sometimes it does it before.
Just wanted to let yall know it worked. I put it into neutrel going about 15 mph slid it into 2wd and bam good to go. Thank alot.