PDA

View Full Version : Back from Afghan!!!

ArmyGuy45
04-17-2013, 08:04 AM
For those who do not know me that well, I am in the Army and stationed in Germany. I just got back from a 7 month deployment and told the wife to change the oil when I hit 4 months downrange. She never got a chance to do the oil change. So I changed the oil on the Jeep, it was pretty black and changed the rear diff fluid. The check engine light that came on while I was downrange was from two codes:

P0456: EVAP System very small leak

P0455: EVAP System large leak

The guy at the auto shop says the small leak can be from the gas cap not being on tight enough. We look at all the fuel lines for any leaks but didnt see anything but he thinks it could be the canister going bad. He cleared the codes and said we should wait and see if they come back. I wanted to get your guys input on what you think it could be. I do not notice anything wrong with the Jeep on performance or sluggishness.

OrangeXJ
04-17-2013, 08:52 AM
Welcome back! Thanks for your service

Mudderoy
04-17-2013, 08:52 AM
For those who do not know me that well, I am in the Army and stationed in Germany. I just got back from a 7 month deployment and told the wife to change the oil when I hit 4 months downrange. She never got a chance to do the oil change. So I changed the oil on the Jeep, it was pretty black and changed the rear diff fluid. The check engine light that came on while I was downrange was from two codes:

P0456: EVAP System very small leak

P0455: EVAP System large leak

The guy at the auto shop says the small leak can be from the gas cap not being on tight enough. We look at all the fuel lines for any leaks but didnt see anything but he thinks it could be the canister going bad. He cleared the codes and said we should wait and see if they come back. I wanted to get your guys input on what you think it could be. I do not notice anything wrong with the Jeep on performance or sluggishness.

Welcome back!

Hey is that the box thing near the gas tank?

NW99XJ
04-17-2013, 08:54 AM
First let me say thank you for your service, and secondly, welcome back.
The auto shop guy gave you some good advice, unfortunately, these kind of leaks can be tricky to pinpoint.
I would think you should feel some sort of loss in performance with a "large leak"....unless it WAS something like just the gas cap.
The wait and see approach may be best at this point.... I know its not an ideal solution, but at this point, it's going to be hard to trouble shoot anything unless its more of a reoccurring issue.

4.3LXJ
04-17-2013, 09:39 AM
Welcome back. The cure for the small leak is usually a new gas cap. I would start there, clear the code and see what happens.

xj4life2
04-17-2013, 10:35 AM
Ok good info from all on the small leak however it could be that the Mrs. just didn't get the cap on tight enough when she fuel'd up, so first I would check to see its tight and then clear the code (disconnect the batt.) Then drive and see what comes back. If the large leak returns run a smoke test on the system (easiest way to find it). However I will say that on the newer XJ's its normally the Leak Detection Pump.If the small leak returns replace the cap of course. Good luck and welcome back !!!

LizardRunner
04-17-2013, 12:31 PM
Welcome back, glad you make it out with no problems.

denverd1
04-17-2013, 12:38 PM
welcome back and thank you

cpttuna
04-17-2013, 06:39 PM
I paid $79.95 for a leak detection pump and that did not fix the problem. If you think it is the LDP, try some silicone or something around the connections to and from the pump first.

bluedragon436
04-17-2013, 06:44 PM
Welcome home.. Glad to hear you made it out safely and back to your family.. I would say if the same codes come back, just to save a little bit of money, I'd pick up a new gas cap and get them reset and give that a whirl... just cause it is about the easiest and cheapest part to change for that stuff... and if it comes back start looking into other possibilities... I mean I guess it could be something with the canister up in the front bumper there.. that goes with the EVAP system...

Dredwolf
04-17-2013, 09:47 PM
As someone else who spent time in A-Stan and most of it in Kunar and Nangarhar provinces, welcome home. Thank you for your service.

XJ Wheeler
04-18-2013, 12:06 AM
Sounds like these guys got you covered, no more i could add anyway. Glad to have ya home, your service is greatly appreciated!

ArmyGuy45
04-18-2013, 05:27 AM
Thank you all for the warm welcome. So far two days of driving and no codes. I will update this thread if anything comes back.

Thanks.

ArmyGuy45
04-23-2013, 06:22 AM
Well Gents, the check engine light is on again. I have not ran it through the computer since 25 bucks per check so I am going to assume its the same codes. So lets start off with the cheapest way to fix/check this. New gas cap? Mine is a lockable gas cap and its about 3 years old.

4.3LXJ
04-23-2013, 09:08 AM
The new gas cap is the first place to start and usually fixes it

gary63
04-23-2013, 09:58 AM
lockable gas caps have a o-ring on the back of the lock cyl. that will dry out some times if you flush it out with wd40 the o-ring will seal up and it will seal. I have seen this happen on the locking gas caps. If not you are not anything exept a little wd40.If it dose work you can thing about a new cap or stay with the old one for now.

ArmyGuy45
04-23-2013, 11:34 AM
The new gas cap is the first place to start and usually fixes it

Got any suggestions in case of the WD-40 trick doesnt work?

lockable gas caps have a o-ring on the back of the lock cyl. that will dry out some times if you flush it out with wd40 the o-ring will seal up and it will seal. I have seen this happen on the locking gas caps. If not you are not anything exept a little wd40.If it dose work you can thing about a new cap or stay with the old one for now.

4.3LXJ
04-23-2013, 12:00 PM
Not really unless you can find the offending O ring and replace it

gary63
04-23-2013, 06:23 PM
most of the screw on caps are crimped together some have 2 screws on the back undo
them and the back comes off.there is 1 or 2 small ball and the o-ring. if you get to it it is just a reg. ring that is ok around gas.

ArmyGuy45
04-25-2013, 03:34 PM
Would liquid wrench in a spray can do the trick for sealing the o ring?

apw5746
04-25-2013, 04:18 PM
Welcome back! Thanks for your service:patriot:

New to owning a Jeep, so I'm unable to help, but I'm sure there's enough experience on this forum to help you out.

Again, welcome back.

gary63
04-25-2013, 05:54 PM
Would liquid wrench in a spray can do the trick for sealing the o ring?

yes all it going to do is swell the o-ring and sell up so it not leaking.

ArmyGuy45
04-27-2013, 02:08 AM
yes all it going to do is swell the o-ring and sell up so it not leaking.

Awesome, thx. I will spray the o rings and then pull the negative cable to reset the computer. Will update in a few days.

ArmyGuy45
05-07-2013, 06:31 AM
Light came on today. So who wants to send me a link of a lockable gas cap they trust.:D

ArmyGuy45
05-07-2013, 11:03 AM
Ordered a locking gas cap from Napa, see how this one works out.

XJ Wheeler
05-07-2013, 11:56 AM
I only trust Stant, tried others and had issues.

ArmyGuy45
05-16-2013, 06:44 AM
New gas cap arrived today. Just reset the computer and now the wait begins.