PDA

View Full Version : Gauge lights won't turn off

Minty
04-16-2013, 11:34 PM
Alright fellas, I just bought this Jeep and once I got home and drove it in the dark I found a very interesting problem.

-My gauge lights won't turn off, regardless of key OR headlight switch position. They will turn off when I pull the #9 fuse.
-Tail lights are being controlled by the headlight switch dimmer function. They dim and get bright by turning the knob.
-The stereo (aftermarket, and recently installed by PO) also turns off when fuse #9 is pulled. Stereo does not stay on with key in off position, like the gauge lights do.
-All other lights seem to work as advertised.

Here's where I'm confused! I removed the headlight switch and replaced it with a new one from the parts store, no change. Returned.
Then I moved on to the stereo since it looks like it was just put in, in case the previous owner did some crazy wiring. I pulled the stereo out and found they used a install kit harness plugged into the factory vehicle harness. Interesting thing is- the gauge lights will shut off when the install kit harness is detached from the vehicle's harness. This is even with the stereo not attached to the install kit. So it seems to be creating a circuit with that attached. I'm at a loss for what's going on, I just want to be able to drive with thing... I mean, I just got it!!!

Hope you guys can understand what I'm trying to explain. Oh, and still trying to get a hold of the previous owner to see what he knew about it (and never told me!)

Minty

4.3LXJ
04-16-2013, 11:40 PM
Yup, I know what you are saying. Basically it boils down to someone tapping into the dash light circuit with the stereo. It is feeding power backwards into the light circuit. So, clip the wire. What I don't know is how that will affect the stereo

Minty
04-17-2013, 12:03 AM
Thanks 4.3LXJ! I'm hoping it's that easy. I kind of figured they tapped into the wrong wire. I'm a little confused about which wire could be my problem so I took a pick in hopes someone could narrow it down! All that was hooked up was the main harness to the install kit, and two other "random" wires, both next to the plug in the pic. One had metal terminals, and the other had the red connector. These 2 being connected did not appear to be an issue as it would act the same (gauge lights turn off with harness disconnected) with or without either wire attached or not. The actual vehicle harness does not look spliced from what I can see, although I don't know where the two extra wires go...

Minty

diyxj
04-17-2013, 12:04 AM
is the harness completely plug-n-play or is the harness spliced in on the radio side of the harness? if theres any splices at all i would start there. process of elimination.

Minty
04-17-2013, 12:16 AM
Forgot to add my picture above. It appears to be plug and play, but the PO did made a mess of it so I'm tempted to try a new install kit, but I don't know if that would even make a difference?

diyxj
04-17-2013, 12:18 AM
sounds like they used the factory dimmer wire for sumthin and on all the aftermarket stereos ive ever installed its never used. find it and cut it. if the radio dont work right after that atleast then u can start lookin for the wire u do need! power[red],black[ground],yellow[12v key on],blue[remote wire] and ur speaker wires thats it.

diyxj
04-17-2013, 12:25 AM
to be honest,if u can i would definately start with a new harness! thats a mess! wuts the wire that bypasses the harness with the spade connector? everything u need is in that harness not sure why they would bypass it.

4.3LXJ
04-17-2013, 12:25 AM
In answer to your question, all the dash lights are on the same circuit and have the same color wire. Probably black for ground and on mine, orange for hot

nickxj94
04-17-2013, 01:05 AM
sounds like they used the factory dimmer wire for sumthin and on all the aftermarket stereos ive ever installed its never used. find it and cut it. if the radio dont work right after that atleast then u can start lookin for the wire u do need! power[red],black[ground],yellow[12v key on],blue[remote wire] and ur speaker wires thats it.

Yup X2 what he said! You don't need the orange wire

Minty
04-17-2013, 03:07 PM
Wow, if I could hug you guys I would! I can see this place is going to come in handy!
There must have been something crazy going on with that wiring harness. I went to Walmart and picked up a new one and BOOM, all lights are back to normal! From there I connected the stereo wires, but could not get power to the stereo...
As far as those two extra wires, the one with the spade connector leads right back into the factory harness, bundled up with the rest of the wires. The other, with the red connector goes straight to the ACC spot of the fuse box. What's up with these two?? I'm guessing one(leaning towards the spade) needs to go to the stereo to give it the right power... just don't want to start blowing fuses or something! What are my options?

4.3LXJ
04-17-2013, 03:08 PM
The ACC power provides power to the stereo so it will keep its memory

Minty
04-17-2013, 04:34 PM
Is there a reason they ran a single wire from the ACC fuse location to the stereo? I thought the harness already took care of that?

4.3LXJ
04-17-2013, 05:28 PM
The acc side feeds the acc on your ignition switch. This allows power to go to things, like stereo memory and operate the stereo without having the ignition on and powering up everything else. Using this fuse allows you to have a small amount of power to keep its memory and operate the clock so it knows what time it is when you turn the key on

AnarchyBurger
04-17-2013, 08:41 PM
Yup X2 what he said! You don't need the orange wire

X3, first thing I thought of when I read this.

Minty
04-18-2013, 07:14 AM
Thanks guys, I got the stereo all hooked up last night. Turns out that black wire with the spade connection was the ground, all I had to do was attach my black harness wire to it and all operates as it should! :D