PDA

View Full Version : I need a Dr. House to diagnose my jeep

jaysXJ
04-15-2013, 07:51 PM
I've been able to fix and figure out a lot of problems that my jeep was having, but this one is beyond me. Whenever my car is cruising at 35 to 55 and I give it some gas to go up a hill or if I do it and it doesn't drop down a gear, the car kinda starts bumping and I hear loud pops. Yesterday I got a code for a cylinder 3 misfire and I had just done a tuneup. When I did the tune up at first, I was really precise with the gaps. It still did it so I re replaced the plug. When I saw a small crack in the boot, I Changed the boot and coil. The plug didn't have any oil on it. Anyways, it's still doing it. Has anyone had this issue before? I also have a week old alternator on the jeep and that's all that people recommend at auto parts. Ps I also cleaned the injectors and am burning premium gas. Please please please help

4.3LXJ
04-15-2013, 07:57 PM
Pull the offending plug and turn it over and see if that plug sparks

jaysXJ
04-15-2013, 08:01 PM
How? Sorry, I don't know too much about jeeps or cars in general. I'm 19 and my dad never taught me anything. I just kinda learn by doing lol

4.3LXJ
04-15-2013, 08:04 PM
pull the plug, connect the spark plug wire to it and make sure it is grounded and have someone hit the key. If it starts it will just make lots of noise. But see if it sparks. I suspect you broke the spark plug wire putting the boot on.

jaysXJ
04-15-2013, 08:06 PM
I thought these didn't have wires, just the coil rail

4.3LXJ
04-15-2013, 08:23 PM
Oops, sorry. Probably the coil pack then

nickxj94
04-15-2013, 09:17 PM
If that rail ain't pushed down far enough it can cause the misfire, you make sure all the coils clicked on the Plugs? The plug in connection good no grease or oil in it?
Also that #3 misfire the cel gives is 9 out of 10 times the infamous (heat soak) issue that's real bad on the 00-01 Xj's

jaysXJ
04-15-2013, 10:19 PM
Heat soak?

nickxj94
04-15-2013, 10:56 PM
Heat soak?

Its when the fuel inside the injector gets heated up from the manifold after you been driving awhile then turn it off for less than 15-20 minutes then start it back up it will misfire for a few seconds. My 00 does it everyday, when mine ran rough or hesitated driven it I changed both o2 sensors, plugs, coil rail, tps (throttle position sensor) and cleaned the Iac, throttle body, seafoamed the vacuum system, fuel injection cleaning. Now it runs great! Besides the heat soak issues, I try to let it cool down for least 30 minutes before taking off again.