PDA

View Full Version : Lets talk tires

altonamud
04-14-2013, 10:32 PM
I want to know the pros and cons of tires.
I am building a Xj i got a 6.5" long arm that I'm installing and I want a good set of tires.
I want to run(eventually) a winter set and a summer set.

I want to know what you all are running on your rigs and the pros and cons of the tires you have.

Brasscatz
04-14-2013, 10:38 PM
I have Goodyear Wrangler Dura Tracs and I was very impressed how they did in the mud. We don't really have snow down here, but online reviews of snow/ice driving were good. Street driving is really good too in my opinion. They are a bit loud on the street, but they aren't mainly street tires :D

BlackYeti
04-14-2013, 10:47 PM
I have Goodyear Wrangler Dura Tracs and I was very impressed how they did in the mud. We don't really have snow down here, but online reviews of snow/ice driving were good. Street driving is really good too in my opinion. They are a bit loud on the street, but they aren't mainly street tires :D

Duratracs are a great all around tire. Did great in moab and excellent in the snow. They do get noisy as they age. I have well over 25k on mine with about quarter tread left.

nickxj94
04-14-2013, 10:50 PM
I have pro comp MT's on mine and pro comp at's on my wife's they both do great on and off road my MT's are quite to unlike most that hum down the hwy and they sling clumps of mud there awesome! I only have about. 2000 miles on mine but can't even tell there wearing yet, they do have some rock rash these Arkansas rocks are unforgiving on tires.

4.3LXJ
04-14-2013, 11:04 PM
Gotta ask what size you are going to run first. That may limit you

nateyz2000
04-14-2013, 11:17 PM
Bfg km2s, love them

altonamud
04-15-2013, 06:12 AM
Gotta ask what size you are going to run first. That may limit you

I want to get a 2nd set of wheels and tires so i got some choices.
The jeep that i am working on came with some 35x12.5x15 bfg at's , there about half left.

Anyone run iroks , goodyear mtr kevlar's, or krawlers?

diyxj
04-15-2013, 07:18 AM
im running mickey thompson baja claws 33x12.5x15 they are agressive tread but dont handle bad at all. however they are a softer lug so if u dont keep alignments right on and rotate em every oil change they can wear fast. but i like em. i drove them this past winter in michigan without trouble jus had to slow down a bit. they do sling alot of mud though with the sidebiter lugs as they call em. i like the agressive look!

jdougn
04-15-2013, 08:58 AM
OP, how is the XJ going to get used? Mostly off road or mostly on road? Then, if mostly off road, what type of wheeling? Good tires for expedition type wheeling will be different than if it's mostly technical rock crawling.

My DD XJ runs ProComp ATs. They are rated to get around 50k miles plus they have an Severe Weather rating for snow & ice. Not real good in mud since the tread is a bit tighter and they don't have enough sidewall to handle jagged rocks at all. The jagged rocks will rip out the sidewall. But they are fairly quiet on pavement and ride real smooth. Procomp ATs (http://www.procompusa.com/productlist.aspx?plid=3357&catid=13&subcat=157&ptid=100806)

I've also run Super Swamper LTB bias ply tires and other mud tires on the XJ. Most have tough sidewalls to handle jagged rocks and heavy lugs for deep mud and rocks. But they don't last long on pavement, don't ride as smooth, and most are loud loud loud. Interco LTB (http://www.intercotire.com/tires.php?id=7&g=1)

Probably the best tire I've used for a lot of off road but also DD is the Interco Truxxus MT. It's a radial and probably similar to the Duratrac which I've not run but know a lot of people like. It still only got around 25-30k of miles but was fairly quiet on pavement and did okay in rocks & mud. Interco Truxxus MT (http://www.intercotire.com/tires.php?id=11&g=1)

NW99XJ
04-15-2013, 11:38 AM
I have to X2 on the Goodyear Duratracs.....
There plain and simply is NO BETTER TIRE for winter conditions.
Back when I had my 31's I was running circles (literally) around locked up wranglers on 35's in the snow.
Others had to winch, I got to play....
For daily driving duties and light wheeling, they are the best choice for a winter tire IMHO. They are a softer tire, and I believe you'll have to go metric (16" rim) if you want to run anything larger than a 33..... double check on that.
http://forum.ih8mud.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=429208&stc=1&d=1277007631

One thing though..... The sidewalls are a bit softer than most tires, which when aired down is fine, but aired up, you'll be running about 40-50psi just driving around.
IT's weird, but everyone I know who is running them, run them at a higher psi on the road. And offroad, you'll only want to air down to about 12-15psi at most. Otherwise they get a little too soft.
They dont clean out QUITE as well as other, large void M/T's...but here in Oregon, we have some very unique clay like mud that sticks to everything.

For a summer set, the Goodyear MTR Kevlars are a good, and popular choice.
They did VERY well in the King of the Hammers race, wear well, can air down to insane low psi, and clean out well in the mud. On rocks they have great traction, and come in a 35x12.5 (perfect for a 6.5" lift.)
http://www.productwiki.com/upload/images/goodyear_wrangler_mt_r_with_kevlar.jpg

Another option may be the new Procomp MT2's ...the new (second generation) mud terrain by procomp.
They have an all new technology in manufacturing, and incorporate a silicate additive for enhanced durability and better wear.
http://www.propickupmag.com/files/2013/01/ProComp-XMT2_small.jpg

Mudderoy
04-15-2013, 11:48 AM
I'd have to have a real compelling reason (at this point) to buy anything other than BFG MT or ATs.

I think I managed 3.5 years of daily driving with the BFG KM MT's and even though I like the tread pattern on the KM's better the KM2 MT's do ride a lot better.

altonamud
04-15-2013, 07:23 PM
I want to build a rig that i can drive to work if needed and go where i want after work if ya know what i mean(winter wheeling) icy slippery roads. In summer its mud stumps and the occasional rock pile. ;)

altonamud
04-15-2013, 07:24 PM
Oh yea if the tires are loud that does not bother me at all LOL

4.3LXJ
04-15-2013, 07:37 PM
BFG KM2s all the way for summer.

nickxj94
04-15-2013, 09:35 PM
BFG KM2s all the way for summer.

I wanted KM2's but couldn't pass the deal I got on the Pro Comp's I got for both my XJ's!

altonamud
04-15-2013, 10:31 PM
Anyone run radial iroks?

nickxj94
04-15-2013, 10:49 PM
Anyone run radial iroks?

They suck offroad around here once there wet you breaking stuff! There good for street queens or mall crawlin :D

4.3LXJ
04-15-2013, 11:21 PM
Anyone run radial iroks?

Not that great of a tire on the highway

altonamud
04-16-2013, 06:30 AM
I have read allot about iroks and everyone seems to like them, they wrap around rocks and work good in the dirt and mud.

I need know these things before making a decision on a tire.
I like the look of the duratrac but everyone has them, i wanna stand out, but i dont want to be left with a tire that sucks.

4.3LXJ
04-16-2013, 11:36 AM
There are two types of IROKS. Radial and bias. The bias also come in two types. Regular and sticky competition compound. The radials are better than the bias on the road. The bias are very good on everything but pavement. The sticky tread is awesome on rocks. But Interco just seems to have a hard time making a good road tire, at least as compared to other brands

altonamud
04-16-2013, 07:13 PM
Dang iroks were in the top of my list for tires.

bad luck
04-16-2013, 07:24 PM
Does anyone run Falken AT Wild Peak tires. I think I am going to try them for my next set of tires, I have heard and read good things about them and the sidewall is supposed to be tough. I split the sidewall on a new BFG At a few years ago and I'm not too happy about that.

Zacman
04-16-2013, 08:20 PM
Bfg km2s, love them

After running Maxxis Bighorns, Toyo O.C. M/T, Cooper STT & BFG all 33". I agree the BFG KM2 have been the best all around. You just have to get past the price.

XJ Wheeler
04-17-2013, 01:56 AM
Does anyone run Falken AT Wild Peak tires. I think I am going to try them for my next set of tires, I have heard and read good things about them and the sidewall is supposed to be tough. I split the sidewall on a new BFG At a few years ago and I'm not too happy about that.

My brother has the Falken Rocky Mountain ATs (31x10.5-15), which are the same as the Wild Peak but just sold through Discount Tire. He hasn't put many miles on them but so far he's happy. I do have to say they don't look very aggressive to me in person.

bad luck
04-17-2013, 07:18 AM
Yes, I agree they don't look aggresive, but everyone I have talked to said that they do a lot better than they look like they should offroad. But they also do really well on the highway. And I do like that tough sidewall.

NW99XJ
04-17-2013, 08:57 AM
I want to build a rig that i can drive to work if needed and go where i want after work if ya know what i mean(winter wheeling) icy slippery roads. In summer its mud stumps and the occasional rock pile. ;)

The Goodyear Duratracs are a tire that would fit this need.
They are THE most aggressive A/T on the market, and I have personally experienced their capabilities. On the road, they are as quiet as any other A/T out there. They grip well, and are not so aggressive as to eat your mileage. However, in ice, snow, or offroad, they perform amazingly well.
For a Daily Driver/ Weekend Wheeler....they are prob one of your best choices.

altonamud
04-17-2013, 10:21 PM
But I dont wanna get duratracs , everyone I mean everyone has them out here LOL they even have them on the RICERS LOL

altonamud
05-16-2013, 01:46 PM
Nitto mud grapplers…

Metlic53
05-16-2013, 05:15 PM
i believe cantab has the khumo kl71 tires, ive heard great reviews although they are directional. i'll be getting a set soon.

http://i1026.photobucket.com/albums/y323/metalic53/ku_rd_venture_mt_kl71_ci2_l_zps8da648d1.jpg (http://s1026.photobucket.com/user/metalic53/media/ku_rd_venture_mt_kl71_ci2_l_zps8da648d1.jpg.html)