PDA

View Full Version : One man 4" lift

jimmerz9
04-14-2013, 07:01 PM
I'm getting ready to put a 4" skyjacker lift onto my jeep. I'm not the greatest mechanic and am really new to off roading all together... My dad is a mechanical genius truly speaking n I can't fix a sandwich... But I want to know how difficult it would be to put that on by myself I plan on trying to complete this in 2 full days. Should I attempt to do this myself without the correct knowledge of what this entails or should I hold off n stop being impatient n have someone with decades of mechanical knowledge???? Any and all answers will be more than greatly appreciated especially coming from this forum u are all very wise and knowledgeable also n value ur opinion... Thank you and have a great day find some trails n get dirty...

Jim

4.3LXJ
04-14-2013, 07:09 PM
It is mostly a matter of getting past any rust and having all the proper tools. I would opt for having your Dad at least help you with the tools you need. Impact wrench and air is very helpful as well as floor jack and car stands, ratchet straps, alignment punch and pry bars.

Brasscatz
04-15-2013, 02:17 PM
Personally, I would much rather have a knowledgeable, helping hand if I were going to tackle a big project like that. Although, doing things yourself is one of the best ways to learn. ;)

89Laredo
04-15-2013, 03:13 PM
Mine took 3 people ~15hrs... Id wait.

Mudderoy
04-15-2013, 04:18 PM
2 professionals 6 hours, with a vehicle lift....

1 amateur 3 days in my garage. I think I could have done it in two days if I would have had a way to remove those damn broken shock bolts!!!!!

I think it was like 15 hours, 11 hours, and 8 hours for me to lift the TJ.

SeniorGustas
04-15-2013, 04:24 PM
I went in knowing nothing and lifted my jeep 4 inchs 3inch coils new leafs and shackles with a coil spacer. It was me and my friend who works on little supped up hondas took us 2 pretty much full days with a garage full of nessarry tools. I had no problems with any bolts what so ever so i may have just gotten lucky but id say for the money.. do it yourself. make sure you have more then enough jackstands and floor jacks. saw my buddy drop his chevy on his hand and no bodys seen the hand sense he got back from the hospital. yes its gone.

jimmerz9
04-15-2013, 09:43 PM
Awesome thanks everyone for the feedback... Another quick part to this since its getting the 4" lift should I get break line extensions n any feedback on if its necessary to get the yoke eliminator or no?

nickxj94
04-15-2013, 10:02 PM
Took me 4 hours to install mine, took 2 hrs to install my wife's both have 3 inch lifts with aal, had to torch some bolts on mine. Then 6 months later I added 2 inch spacers on mine and 2 inch rear blocks took me a hour I done it on my lunch break lol!

Brasscatz
04-15-2013, 10:21 PM
Awesome thanks everyone for the feedback... Another quick part to this since its getting the 4" lift should I get break line extensions n any feedback on if its necessary to get the yoke eliminator or no?

Yes, you will need longer brake lines. Even at 3" lift, I got longer lines because it's just not something you want to chance breaking! There's a list of junk yard parts you can pick up and longer brake lines are included in that list. Here's the link for that: http://www.xjtalk.com/showthread.php?t=5646

Now for the SYE.... maybe. You can do a transfer case drop, possibly a yj slip yoke, or just leave it as is and see how bad your vibes are. Possible to adjust pinion angles to fix vibes too.

jimmerz9
04-15-2013, 10:53 PM
On that parts list it said I can use a yj brake line is there a specific year I should be looking for... Will they really fit a 200 Cherokee... Not that I'm questioning the knowledge the overall length looks smaller than the xj

Brasscatz
04-15-2013, 11:05 PM
The YJ was 1986-1995 if I remember correctly... and they should fit. I don't have personal knowledge of this, but I'd bet on it :D

4.3LXJ
04-15-2013, 11:26 PM
Any YJ. Yes they will fit

TimmyTXJ
04-16-2013, 07:15 AM

Longer brake lines are a must, like Jim said... that's not something worth taking the risk and it's a cheap and easy fix. I'd personally wait on the SYE... you may not need it. At 4" you're at the edge of where it becomes necessary. I'm a big fan of at least trying it yourself first, you may be surprised at what you can accomplish with hand tools and some determination. But be forewarned... it's gonna take at least 3 times longer than the instructions say it's going to! :) Best luck with it!

Mudderoy
04-16-2013, 09:32 AM
Yes, you will need longer brake lines. Even at 3" lift, I got longer lines because it's just not something you want to chance breaking! There's a list of junk yard parts you can pick up and longer brake lines are included in that list. Here's the link for that: http://www.xjtalk.com/showthread.php?t=5646

Now for the SYE.... maybe. You can do a transfer case drop, possibly a yj slip yoke, or just leave it as is and see how bad your vibes are. Possible to adjust pinion angles to fix vibes too.

My 4.5" lift came with brake line relocation. Didn't change the lines until much later.