PDA

View Full Version : I wonna lift my xj

thatguy425
04-14-2013, 04:52 PM
tell me a little about lift kits how to install, what brands are good, what i should know befor doing this,tools i might need other then basic tools! normal price ranges, sites i can look for them (no ebay junk), anything ill need other then the lift kit, thanks guys!!:beer:

4.3LXJ
04-14-2013, 05:19 PM
First thing is you have to decide how much you are willing to spend and how high you want to go and match those figures. You get what you pay for in lift kits.

Mudderoy
04-15-2013, 01:22 PM
I don't have any experience with anything but Rough Country. I like them! I have one on my 98 XJ and one on my 03 TJ. I'm considering a 3" lift on my 99 XJ.

I have heard that Rubicon Express has a much nicer ride. I say "What do I care about a nice ride in a lifted 4x4?!?!?!" I mean I guess that would be fine but RE is sooo expensive. In fact so much so that they went out of business, or at least it was unavailable for a while until 4WP bought them.

Hell RC may go out of business tomorrow, I don't know but I do know I like their products (except their track bar) and they have great customer service.

thatguy425
04-15-2013, 03:25 PM
well that covers sales and buying what should i know befor digginf into this project?

4.3LXJ
04-15-2013, 03:28 PM
You need the tools. That includes, a good jack, preferably a floor jack and tall car stands on a solid surface. Don't attempt it without that stuff.

thatguy425
04-15-2013, 03:29 PM
k got that stuff will everything i need be in a lift kit or will i need to buy a nother package to put on as well im new to lift kits

Mudderoy
04-15-2013, 03:33 PM
k got that stuff will everything i need be in a lift kit or will i need to buy a nother package to put on as well im new to lift kits

My 4.5" RC lift had everything. You'll need some 1/2" drives, sockets, etc... a nice 1/2" torque wrench would be good as well.

thatguy425
04-16-2013, 08:58 AM
thanks for all the info guys !!! sometime this summer i plan to lift it

Mudderoy
04-16-2013, 09:29 AM
thanks for all the info guys !!! sometime this summer i plan to lift it

Keep us updated, and be sure and take at least a before and after photo.

TUWdave
04-17-2013, 04:49 AM
tell me a little about lift kits how to install, what brands are good, what i should know befor doing this,tools i might need other then basic tools! normal price ranges, sites i can look for them (no ebay junk), anything ill need other then the lift kit, thanks guys!!:beer:

You didn't mention what size tire you are planning to run. If you're going with 31" tires, something in the 3 to 4" lift range works without a lot of fender trimming. 33" tires will need more lift, 4.5 to 6.5", but you will probably need to do fender trimming with the 4.5 lift with 33". If you go with 35" tires, it will get expensive because you will run into breaking stock axles and diff. parts. 6.5" minimum lift needed for 35" tires.

diyxj
04-17-2013, 07:12 AM
i run the rough country 6.5" X-flex short arm kit with drop brackets been about a year now and i like it! it wuz one of the cheaper kits out there and its an all bolt on kit no welding,no cutting so it wuz krazy easy to install. extended brake lines are a must that dont come with the kit.my advise is no matter wut kit u buy start spraying pb blaster on all leaf spring and control arm bolts ahead of time cuz they can get pretty stubborn. the front bolts of the rear leaf springs were the worst. they thread into the frame with no access to the threaded side. good luck! have fun with it!

thatguy425
05-05-2013, 10:02 PM
thanks for all the info after my wedding I wonna dig into this project I will take befors and afters to post

Mountain Goat
05-06-2013, 12:04 AM
Have a plan for when your upper rear shock bolts break off;)