PDA

View Full Version : Brake modification

nickxj94
04-13-2013, 10:03 PM
Well I been having alot of brake issues since I done the rear Zj disc conversion I didn't use the Zj proportion valve cause it stopped great but 6 months later the jeep starting going through master cylinders I have replaced 5 in the past 4 months! So today I pulled the trigger and got a 98 xj booster and mc with proportion valve and took the hard lines for the front, I get it all mounted blead brakes now time for a test drive! Took off around the block amazing best brakes I ever had on this thing so I took it out on the highway driving down for about 20 minutes then started smelling hot burning brakes and noticed my temp gauge was pegging 225 so pull over brakes are smoking! I let it cool down while trying to figure out what's going on? So I took the vacuum hose from the booster off brakes feel better hook it back up and haul butt to the house. Found I blew a rear caliper out crap off to the parts store got a reman slapped it on blead the brakes again, took off again seems to be doing ok now but got warped rotors after they got smoking hot. Anyway is there something I'm missing?? I did noticed the booster rod was a little longer and couldn't hook it up on my 94 xj so I just bent the bracket back till it went on is that something I should of just cut the rod down and welded back to the old booster length?

XJ Wheeler
04-14-2013, 04:28 AM
Well bud, the only thing i can contribute is what I've read. And all the write-ups I've seen say the rod the dual diaphragm rod is too long, and needs to be modified. Not sure on if that's on all models though.

nickxj94
04-14-2013, 01:32 PM
Well bud, the only thing i can contribute is what I've read. And all the write-ups I've seen say the rod the dual diaphragm rod is too long, and needs to be modified. Not sure on if that's on all models though.

Yeah I been reading that too i ordered a 96 booster it has the shorter rod and still dual diaphram and I can run the mc I have on there already. I was hoping this would work, it Does stop alot better but it keeps pressure on the brakes and cant Drive it like that lol

nickxj94
04-14-2013, 01:33 PM
I will keep this 98 booster for My 2000 xj for a spare lol