PDA

View Full Version : Ever find anything "unusual" while wheelin'/exploring.

prerunner1982
04-11-2013, 04:40 PM
Been reading a thread on Jeepforum by a similar title (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f95/ever-find-anything-unusual-while-wheeling-211618/) and thought I would share. I don't know how much to believe and how much is BS, but it's a good read none the less.

If anyone here has stumbled upon anything unusual or creepy or whatever while you were out wheelin, huntin, him in, etc post it here.

4.3LXJ
04-11-2013, 05:32 PM
I only have it on a video camera I cannot get the vids off of, but my son and I came upon a mine shaft at the top of a road that could only be avoided by making a sharp left. If you went straight in the dark down the shaft you went. We lowered him on the winch line down it and found a pickup at the bottom. Such mine shafts are common in mining country around here.

Dredwolf
04-11-2013, 08:22 PM
Back in '84, wheeling a F150 in a section of the county that was used as livestock pens many years ago, we decided to follow a side trail that went down to loop under a railroad trestle at a small, muddy river.

One of my buddies got out to spot, as it was a tight squeeze between the river and the bases of the trestle supports.

He decided to walk a little further ahead, to try and see both the driver side and passenger side tires, but he needed to be out of the way too, so he went behind one of the bases.

He found a human skeleton behind one of the bases. We reported it to the country sheriff, it was a local girl that went missing a few years earlier.

On another occasion, we were wheeling a power line trail, starting off where it crossed a county dirt road, making for where it crossed a busy, curvy state two-lane road that we would use to head towards a set of shoals that could still be used to cross the river.

At the last creek crossing before the climb up to the paved road, we found dark blue Mustang in the creekbed, in the treeline. The female passenger was still alive, but trapped in the car. Her boyfriend was not so lucky. We used my CB to contact my buddy's father, who called the rescue squad.

They estimated that they had been in that creekbed for 4 days before we came across them.

4.3LXJ
04-11-2013, 08:26 PM
I went to Meadow Lake, CA where there was a town called Sierra City. I found a 4" square spike in one of my brand new tires. A little girl was more fortunate, found an 1853 dime. I would have gladly taken the dime in the tire instead of the spike. :D

Brasscatz
04-11-2013, 11:18 PM
My buddy and I were out wheeling down by the Trinity River in Ft. Worth and we came across a Honda CRX.... completely stripped, no VIN plate, nuthin! We were looking at it when a handful of Ft. Worth Police Excursions came zooming in. We got frisked, searched and questioned for quite some time. They said the only thing that saved us was that we didn't have any parts off the car in my truck. The way they all zoomed in, they must've known it was back there and were waiting for the thieves to return.

nickxj94
04-11-2013, 11:22 PM
Wheelin' the Buckhorn trails a couple week's ago we came across a nice lifted Dodge 4x4 stuck in a hole up to the door handles and left for dead, to bad we didn't have a way to drag it out.

4.3LXJ
04-12-2013, 11:35 AM
Speaking of cars, drove over this Honda .....

http://i649.photobucket.com/albums/uu215/warriorsuspension/HUM%20WEE/2012-01-01_14-13-38_153.jpg (http://s649.photobucket.com/user/warriorsuspension/media/HUM%20WEE/2012-01-01_14-13-38_153.jpg.html)

xj4life2
04-12-2013, 12:07 PM
Finding abandoned cars/trucks here is the norm , along with appliances and all kinds of crap. If you take Jordan hill down to Whiskey flats you will find all kinds of stuff off the side. Lots of crazy stuff I've seen some scary , ran into a pot grow once, that one kind of un nerved me a bit but I made it out ok. Lots of animal bones and drop offs. Homeless camps (inside mines and camo'd out). Here you need to be real careful when you go out in the woods and NEVER go alone.

thatguy425
04-14-2013, 05:06 PM
nothing creepy but veryy funny me and my two buddys were 4 wheeling and we were racing around this little circular area in the woods my buddy flew around this turn his brake cable snapped his rear brakes didnt work he rolled it his shoe flew off into who knows where?!?!?! and he landed in a thorn bush i wish i had a pic just the way he was laying in the thorn bush saying owe owe dude dude help me seriously stop laughing and help your a dick hahha he had a fun ride back to our trucks with one shoe and thorns all over

Paddletrucker
04-14-2013, 05:39 PM
Not wheeling, really, but we were in the woods in a 4WD at night...wheeling:D as much as coon hunting requires when my brother and I found a pair of Blackhawk helicopters. :wtf:

We were on an old HUGE section of land just south of here called Black Fox. Black Fox was supposed to be the site of a nuclear power plant years ago. The project was defeated by the locals here and as far as it ever got was a system of roads that was meant for heavy trucks to bring things in and a river port to dock barges. We know the guy that leases it to run cattle on, so we had permission to coon hunt there at night. It was handy because you could go offroad or if you needed to get to your dogs in a hurry, you could run 100mph if you wanted to on the road system. Nobody else was out there.....mostly.

As you can imagine, growing up near four sections (2,560 acres) of land that's fenced off with 10 foot high chain link and concertina wire, and supposedly owned by the government, the place is the stuff of much childhood lore. EVERYTHING was said to happen back in there. It was our own little Oklahoma backwoods Area 51. Lots of stories told about that place.

So...my brother, a friend, and I had about 7 coon hounds out and at about 3AM, they treed a LOOONG way from us, so we 4 wheeled it back to a road and hauled butt that direction. The guy in the bed of the pickup noticed a helicopter that seemed to be behind us and getting lower. We off course shrugged it off, but moments later, this thing was on our butt. My brother was driving and tried to out run it.:rolleyes::rolleyes: Wasn't gonna happen.

After a few seconds of this thing following us at about tree top height and 150-200 feet behind us, it banked hard to the left and pulled along side of us just barely above the weeds. There were guys hanging off the side and motioning to us. It was freaking us out, BIG time.

All at once, it passed us on the left, crossed the road in front of us at the altitude of OUR BUMPERS, and pulled into a hover just off to the right of the road. At that moment, ANOTHER Blackhawk helicopter appeared in the lights of the truck! It was sitting on the ground, rotor stopped, in the dark. There were guys all around it waving their arms and flashlights and motioning for us to STOP.

A couple of them came running toward us. With the stories we'd heard our whole lives about this Black Fox place, you can imagine the kinds of things we were thinking. It was a tense moment.

One of the EXTREMELY friendly Air National Guardsmen came up and said, "Man! You guys scared the bajeeezus out of us!!"

"Uhhh.....What?!?" We were really confused.

What happened was...the two helicopters had been doing some night time training exercises. I live REALLY close to the river that Black Fox sits along and we see those ANG Blackhawks ALL the time flying over, so we knew they were there frequently. Those pilots know the area really well. So...they were doing their training exercise and one of the helicopters lost all electric power. He knew the layout of Black Fox and knew it would be a good place to set down. He used the lights of the other helicopter to choose a big intersection in the road section to land. It was a perfect scenario for an emergency, such as the one they had.

What they DIDN'T plan on was three coon hunting red necks flying down this road in a 4WD 3/4 ton beast of a pickup with about a half a ton of home made pipe and steel bumpers attached to it. They were afraid that we wouldn't see them in time and crash into the disabled helicopter that was sitting in our way in total darkness without any lights to turn on. The one helicopter had been circling above, marking the spot of the downed chopper and waiting on another helicopter with some parts and a mechanic. He saw us barreling toward the other one on the ground and was simply trying to get us to stop. We all had a good laugh but were all a little shaken up. The Guardsmen were scared they were about to have a crash on their hands and you can guess all the things running through our 17 year old backwoods minds!

That's the story of how we found two Blackhawk helicopters and almost ruined the seat in my brother's truck. We still talk about it all the time. Never will forget about that!

XJ Wheeler
04-14-2013, 08:47 PM
This thread is greeeeeat. :D

4.3LXJ
04-14-2013, 11:02 PM
If you wheel the "diggins" around here you find all kinds of hardware. The diggings are areas where there was hydraulic mining and whole mountains were washed away. It is typical to find lots of squashed sheet metal pipe, riveted sections of sheet metal put together by hand to form a 10" pipe. Other times you will find pulleys, steam donkeys and once I found an intact ore processor with crushers and cyanide tanks. If one keeps his eyes open, he can find cool rocks in the road cuts too. Mostly petrified wood and agates

bad luck
07-02-2013, 10:25 PM
Back in the 70's, I had a dune buggy. Just a shortened vw pan with 2 seats and no body. It was so much fun to drive. Back then we lived in Prunedale just north of Salinas, so a buddy and I thought it would be a good idea to drive on the beach at night. This old buggy didn't even have headlights, so my buddy held a flashlight while I drove. On the sand I don't think we could go over 30 mph though. But all of a sudden we see something big right in front of us, I barely swerved to miss it, we stopped a little ways away, and came back on foot, it was a huge walrus! With big tusks and all. My idiot buddy grabs a stick and pokes it, you couldn't believe how fast the walrus whirled around and lunged at my buddy. You better believe we left it alone after that.

bad luck
07-03-2013, 09:15 AM
This was not finding anything unusual but a funny incident with that old dune buggy. As I said it was just a chopped down vw pan with no body. It had the original seats on the rails. My brother told me what happened and he was laughing so much he could hardly get the words out. He and a friend had borrowed the buggy and were driving around on our property, he came to the edge of a fairly steep bank and slammed on the brakes, well, the seat belts were just tied to the seat frames, and his friend with the seat still strapped to him slid forward and tumbled down the bank! Boy, was he pissed.