PDA

View Full Version : Best laid plans...

Mudderoy
04-11-2013, 11:33 AM
Well I think I'm screwed.

In the planning of my Jeep XJ modifications I thought. I'll get a 4.5" lift with 32's. Later I'll get 33's and if need be I'll just swap out the coils, drop the leaves down a notch on the shackles and I'll be at 6.5".

The only problem is the nose of the 98 sits a little higher now, and it is technically 5.5" lift in the rear and 4.5" in the front!!!!

I found a great deal on 6.5" coil springs from Rough Country (ebay) so I ordered them.

Replacing 4 year old 4.5" coils with new 6.5" coils, I fear the FAA will ban me from driving at night! :cry:

I may have to look into some adjustable shackles from Ironman4x4Fab!

OMG it never ends! :rotfl2:

NW99XJ
04-11-2013, 11:42 AM
Thats how it happens!
One thing ALWAYS leads to another.....
When I FIRST got my cherokee....i swore up & Down that "I'm not going to ever go any bigger than 31's".....HA! yea that didnt last very long. I hadnt even gone thru 40% of the tread on my first set of 31's before I bought another set of 31's on 8" rims so that I could step up to 33's (12.50's)....sold off the 31's on wheels, sold the other 31's and bought the 33's I'm on now..... and now i'm wishing I could buy my buddy's 35's ....but I would need to put different axles under the jeep if I were to do that......SEE?!?!?!?!
I feel your pain man.

diyxj
04-11-2013, 11:45 AM
mudderoy, wut exactly is the chat then? im assuming its exactly wut it says, chat right? who are u chatting with when u post on chat?

NW99XJ
04-11-2013, 11:49 AM
you chat with whom ever is on.....for instance right now (9:51am 04/11/13) I AM on chat and you can chat with me and who ever else is on / in the chat....
Most weekdays from 6:30am to 5pm PST or so I am on/in chat.

There are also a few regulars....a few people that are almost always on at certain times/

Mudderoy
04-11-2013, 11:51 AM
mudderoy, wut exactly is the chat then? im assuming its exactly wut it says, chat right? who are u chatting with when u post on chat?

It's like instant messaging or texting on a phone. It's just on this site. Only xjtalk members can read and post to the chat area. It's just like posting only you see it right now, instead of waiting minutes, hours or days for someone to respond in a post.

Does that make sense? It's like breathing, easy to do but hard to explain. :rotfl2:

diyxj
04-11-2013, 11:54 AM
awesome! how do u know who is on?

4.3LXJ
04-11-2013, 12:12 PM
Click on the plug. A list will appear. Then click it again and it returns you

nickyg
04-11-2013, 12:17 PM
It's like instant messaging or texting on a phone. It's just on this site. Only xjtalk members can read and post to the chat area. It's just like posting only you see it right now, instead of waiting minutes, hours or days for someone to respond in a post.

Does that make sense? It's like breathing, easy to do but hard to explain. :rotfl2:

I never knew there was a chat feature, I think I have it figured out.

But can you explain this breathing thing to me in detail. Because if it’s too complicated I’m just not gonna do it.

Mudderoy
04-11-2013, 12:29 PM
I never knew there was a chat feature, I think I have it figured out.

But can you explain this breathing thing to me in detail. Because if it’s too complicated I’m just not gonna do it.

Really? You never saw the chat thing near the top of each page? You only see it if you're logged in.

Breathing? Hmm you must be blonde! ;)

cantab27
04-11-2013, 01:05 PM
Well I think I'm screwed.

In the planning of my Jeep XJ modifications I thought. I'll get a 4.5" lift with 32's. Later I'll get 33's and if need be I'll just swap out the coils, drop the leaves down a notch on the shackles and I'll be at 6.5".

The only problem is the nose of the 98 sits a little higher now, and it is technically 5.5" lift in the rear and 4.5" in the front!!!!

I found a great deal on 6.5" coil springs from Rough Country (ebay) so I ordered them.

Replacing 4 year old 4.5" coils with new 6.5" coils, I fear the FAA will ban me from driving at night! :cry:

I may have to look into some adjustable shackles from Ironman4x4Fab!

OMG it never ends! :rotfl2:

you got a bar and winch on it yet tony ...that will drop front down a bit.....

denverd1
04-11-2013, 01:21 PM
haha!! I thought I was the only one who sold a set of tires before they were worn out to go up in size!! 31s to 33s. awesome.

I too think I should do axles/gears before 35s but we shall see!! such is the jeep life.

Mudderoy
04-11-2013, 01:32 PM
you got a bar and winch on it yet tony ...that will drop front down a bit.....

Custom bumpers front and back. Rear has the spare front has the winch.

Mudderoy
04-11-2013, 01:34 PM
haha!! I thought I was the only one who sold a set of tires before they were worn out to go up in size!! 31s to 33s. awesome.

I too think I should do axles/gears before 35s but we shall see!! such is the jeep life.

No I ran the 32's until they were worn out, at least for on road use. During that time I installed a SYE and Bushwacker flares. So I had the room for the 33's and with the SYE I could go higher if necessary. Since the 33's rub occasionally I need to add some height.

XJ Wheeler
04-12-2013, 01:47 AM
Trust me, no matter how much you plan these things know well how to throw a wrench into your plans.

A lift turns into sye, into steering, into cutting, and now you can fit bigger tires. But the axles aren't strong enough. But what axles, you could go a little bigger on the axles, but then you need more clearance, so even bigger tires. But new axles means new brackets. And since you're doing new brackets you have options on what type of suspension. Now is a good time to redo the steering to beef it up. Lockers and gearing come into the mix. But now you're running more hardcore trails so what about armor?

I just wanted 31s. :eek:

:D

93xj97347
04-12-2013, 03:29 AM
I'm on 35 and have only put about 20 miles on them and I'm already wanting to go bigger

Mudderoy
04-12-2013, 09:06 AM
I'm on 35 and have only put about 20 miles on them and I'm already wanting to go bigger

lol I know what you mean. My first 4x4 was a 83 SWB Chevy Truck. 4" lift and 36.5 tires. 32 and 33" tires look puny to me! Replacing and upgrading parts has calmed me down about bigger though.

I'd still like to go 35's. I have the gears for it. Maybe some day.

bigjim350
04-12-2013, 09:17 AM
I guess I'm just different. Bought the lift and tires I wanted at the beginning. I'm fine with what I have. I just wheel it and replace what breaks.

Sent from my nerdy smartphone

TimmyTXJ
04-12-2013, 09:37 AM
I guess I'm just different. Bought the lift and tires I wanted at the beginning. I'm fine with what I have. I just wheel it and replace what breaks.

Sent from my nerdy smartphone

Jim you asked me the other day why I went with a 3" lift versus going bigger. I wasn't quite able to answer on the spot, I've been giving it some thought. Here's what I came up with...

I went with the smaller lift for a few reasons.

1. I have little skill in driving offroad, I don't want to give myself a sense of false security by getting a huge lift. I'm happy to upgrade as my skill increases.
2. I'm also not ready for the financial commitment in "doing it right" A bigger lift means new gears and carriers, a SYE and driveshaft, possibly a new rear axle, etc.
3. One might argue that a small lift limits my capability offroad but I like to think it will make me a better driver. I'll have to be a lot more careful to negotiate the same trails you bigger guys take.

Nothing against going big... I think it looks awesome, but when I add it up a small lift is all I need (for now)

Mudderoy
04-12-2013, 10:07 AM
Jim you asked me the other day why I went with a 3" lift versus going bigger. I wasn't quite able to answer on the spot, I've been giving it some thought. Here's what I came up with...

1. I have little skill in driving offroad, I don't want to give myself a sense of false security by getting a huge lift. I'm happy to upgrade as my skill increases.
2. I'm also not ready for the financial commitment in "doing it right" A bigger lift means new gears and carriers, a SYE and driveshaft, possibly a new rear axle, etc.
3. One might argue that a small lift limits my capability offroad but I like to think it will make me a better driver. I'll have to be a lot more careful to negotiate the same trails you bigger guys take.

Nothing against going big... I think it looks awesome, but when I add it up a small lift is all I need (for now)

My limiting factor was my budget. I didn't have enough money to spend for a 6.5" lift, wheels and tires. Then as I started researching it was clear that I would need to do a SYE for anything more than 4.5", and on a 97+ the 4.5" was iffy even with the 1" transfer case drop.

It's been a great learning experience and that experience makes it easier to buy right the first time.

I think Jim's statement is correct, he is unusual because a first time Jeep Cherokee owner seldom puts what they want on it to start.

I have a 99 that I'm thinking about lifting, and based on my experience I have a much better idea on how I want to proceed now. Interestingly I'm considering a 3" lift for it.

denverd1
04-12-2013, 10:08 AM

lots of truth here. I guess bigger is better, but at the end of the day, I'm quite happy where I am too. I'd also need gears and stronger axles to comfortably go bigger and to be honest, I don't see enough trail time to make that jump. If I was regularly going on wheeling trips and could justify it, sure. But I can do 80% of the trails with what I've got. If I add a locker, that number goes up. I'd like to get to 6" and 35s but I've got other things I'd do with a couple grand.

4.3LXJ
04-12-2013, 10:56 AM
I was originally going to stick with 3" and 31s and call it good. But, I moved to CA and didn't want to scrap it due to a lack of available carburetor parts. One thing led to another and to another etc. Now look where I am. Still have the 31s, but now I am getting stuff together to link the rear and will stiffen the frame. New full width axles blah blah blah coming eventually.

Mudderoy
04-12-2013, 10:58 AM
I was originally going to stick with 3" and 31s and call it good. But, I moved to CA and didn't want to scrap it due to a lack of available carburetor parts. One thing led to another and to another etc. Now look where I am. Still have the 31s, but now I am getting stuff together to link the rear and will stiffen the frame. New full width axles blah blah blah coming eventually.

lol yep, I think this is the "norm" for that jeep thang also known unaffectionally by spouses as the disease!

4.3LXJ
04-12-2013, 11:01 AM
lol yep, I think this is the "norm" for that jeep thang also known unaffectionally by spouses as the disease!

I had the same disease with a Samurai :sign0181:

xj4life2
04-12-2013, 11:03 AM
Well I can say from my limited experience in the business that you are never high enough or big enough until the Mrs. says no!! If I had a dollar for every time we did a second or third lift on a rig I could retire and move to Texas !!!

Mudderoy
04-12-2013, 11:04 AM
I had the same disease with a Samurai :sign0181:

It's just fun to modify things, and make it your own.

bluedragon436
04-12-2013, 11:05 AM
I have a 99 that I'm thinking about lifting, and based on my experience I have a much better idea on how I want to proceed now. Interestingly I'm considering a 3" lift for it.

Still going to be your daughter's ride after the lift?? I'm sure she'll love it!!

Mudderoy
04-12-2013, 11:08 AM
Still going to be your daughter's ride after the lift?? I'm sure she'll love it!!

Both daughters have the driver's license now. And just two days ago my oldest was asking if I was still thinking about lifting the 99, so yeah I think she's wanting it done. Not sure how the youngest feels about it.

It would have already happened but after getting the TJ, I've added best top soft top, 4" RC lift, Bushwacker flat flares, Bushwacker "fake" off road armor and now the 33" tires.

denverd1
04-12-2013, 11:15 AM
oh I'll get it there eventually, its just not a major priority.

bluedragon436
04-12-2013, 11:19 AM
Both daughters have the driver's license now. And just two days ago my oldest was asking if I was still thinking about lifting the 99, so yeah I think she's wanting it done. Not sure how the youngest feels about it.

It would have already happened but after getting the TJ, I've added best top soft top, 4" RC lift, Bushwacker flat flares, Bushwacker "fake" off road armor and now the 33" tires.

So now I have to ask... What is the youngest daughter going to get as her first "car"??

Mudderoy
04-12-2013, 11:33 AM
So now I have to ask... What is the youngest daughter going to get as her first "car"??

She'll be driving the 99 along with her older sister.

XJ Wheeler
04-12-2013, 05:28 PM
I guess i'm a little different. From the moment i got my XJ and once i got to think about it i knew exactly what i wanted to do. I just didn't have anywhere near the money/experience/tools/space to do it. I still don't have most of those, but as i go along i learn and get a better sense of exacting that plan.

Originally i wanted it lifted, and bad, and right then. Bad choice, i really should have taken care of some other things first. But i digress. So, I found out what all that was entailed with going bigger, so reluctantly, i went smaller with a 4.5" short arm kit. And i knew it was best at the time. So along the way i can get the things installed or modified so i can one day take on my goal. Like long arms/t-case/axles/steering/etc. Which by the way my goal is 7" long arm/still debating what type of rear suspension with 37" tires. No bigger, ever. Yeah, i'm gonna need to keep learning for a while. ;) Wish me luck.