PDA

View Full Version : NOB question on the front axle (dana 30)

Infidel Edition
04-10-2013, 04:24 PM
What is the section of the axle from the u-joint out called?
Looks like a wishbone...

I've always called it a yoke, but I'm not sure:rolleyes:

NW99XJ
04-10-2013, 04:27 PM
stubby shaft, outter shaft,
Or are you talking about the part of the shaft where the U-joint actually presses into?
In that case...yea it could be called yoke, or ears.... in any case people will know what your talking about....as long as you dont call it thing-a-ma-jig.

Infidel Edition
04-10-2013, 04:39 PM
Pick'n Pull put their pricing on line and I was just trying to figure out what they're calling it.
Nothing quite matches outer shaft. And the yoke (they reference) is for the drive shaft.

Though, if they'll go with that... it'd only be $8 ea.
Otherwise, the Axle C.V. Type (Stub) is $25...

Infidel Edition
04-10-2013, 04:46 PM
...Also, is the outer shaft going to be the same regardless of year? Or is it specific to the early year xj's?

4.3LXJ
04-10-2013, 05:18 PM
All the same on the early XJs unless they had full time 4WD. That one has a birfield joint

NW99XJ
04-10-2013, 05:34 PM
All the same on the early XJs unless they had full time 4WD. That one has a birfield joint
Wait...my 99 has a full time 4wd option with the np242.....
And I dont have birfields....

Are you talking about the ZJ's with the np249?
As far as I know... (i could be way off base here) but there wasn't a 249 option wit the XJ's.....at least I have never seen or heard of one.

4.3LXJ
04-10-2013, 05:44 PM
The 84 - 86 had full time option, cannot remember the tcase number that used the birfield joint. Has one till I rolled it

NW99XJ
04-10-2013, 05:57 PM
Well,....ya learn something new every day I guess.
Dave, if you're having issues with your axle or whatever and want me to take a look at it or ya want to talk about it in person, PM me and we can hook up, or I'll give u my contact info.
Also....don't forget that 205 Auto Salvage has a TON of Cherokee's there....and if you mention The XJ Talk Show...you get 10% off!

Infidel Edition
04-10-2013, 07:49 PM
Well,....ya learn something new every day I guess.
Dave, if you're having issues with your axle or whatever and want me to take a look at it or ya want to talk about it in person, PM me and we can hook up, or I'll give u my contact info.
Also....don't forget that 205 Auto Salvage has a TON of Cherokee's there....and if you mention The XJ Talk Show...you get 10% off!

Cool. I think I can knock it out... once I get the axle nut off.
But company and a beer always makes the job better.