PDA

View Full Version : Bad vibration

93xj97347
04-09-2013, 10:55 PM
Just finished my 6.5" lift on my 93 and put 35s on it. Took it through the mud a few times yesterday and it did great. Where I go play is one mile from my house so o hit 30 mph tops. Took it out for a road test today and around 45 it started shaking from the front left side very violently. The alignment is very close to where it was before the lift install so I don't think that's the problem. I also replaced all my tie rod ends and everything today and its still doing it. A friend of mine said that a new steering stabilizer shock should fix it but I thought I would ask first before spending anymore money because my budget to finish it is getting very small. I was also thinking about going to the my and getting a zj pitman arm to get the added drop. What do y'all think?

Brasscatz
04-09-2013, 10:58 PM
Did you install a SYE? Also, have you looked at your track bar? The track bar is a very common cause of death wobble. Do you feel it in your steering wheel, or the whole Jeep?

XjJeepacorn
04-09-2013, 11:26 PM
What do the angles of drag link and the track bar look like, they should be parallel if not this can cause bump steer, this = bad! Did you install an adjustable track bar? This has to do with your Drop pitman arm question

XjJeepacorn
04-09-2013, 11:28 PM
What kind of lift do you have did you buy a complete lift or is it mixed matched mubblie gumblie stuff? (That's what mine is :D)

93xj97347
04-10-2013, 03:02 AM
I have not done she yet. From what I can tell the ujoints are not binding. Its mixed matched stuff. Rough country with 1.5" spacers. I have not got the new track bar yet I just moved the mounting hole over. The drag link are close to parallel with maybe 3 or 4 ° difference. With the drop pitmon arm I think that should fix it. But I'm feeling it through the hole jeep when its at its worst. Feels like I'm driving over a bunch of small trees laying on the ground at 50mph

slvmart
04-10-2013, 03:31 AM
Just to be clear, are you implying that you did not have a problem before you went into the mud, but had the vibration, after you had gone into the mud ?

For those of us who live in the north, and deal with snow in winter. It is not unusual to have a buildup of ice/snow, on your front suspension/steering components, cause vibration.

Just saying, it may really be that simple, if you haven't checked it out.

93xj97347
04-10-2013, 03:37 AM
When I took it out to play I didn't go over 30mph cuz its so close to my house and its all gravel roads. So I don't know if the problem was there or not before playing. I was doing a road test today cuz I was gonna drive it to work tonight and wanted to make sure everything worked OK. No snow or ice right now just lots of mud

TimmyTXJ
04-10-2013, 07:09 AM
Just finished my 6.5" lift on my 93 and put 35s on it. Took it through the mud a few times yesterday and it did great. Where I go play is one mile from my house so o hit 30 mph tops. Took it out for a road test today and around 45 it started shaking from the front left side very violently. The alignment is very close to where it was before the lift install so I don't think that's the problem. I also replaced all my tie rod ends and everything today and its still doing it. A friend of mine said that a new steering stabilizer shock should fix it but I thought I would ask first before spending anymore money because my budget to finish it is getting very small. I was also thinking about going to the my and getting a zj pitman arm to get the added drop. What do y'all think?

You're on the right track replacing the TREs. A new stabilizer shock might help mask the problem but probably won't solve it. If you still have the old wheels and tires put them back on and see if the problem goes away. If it does, then you know you need to have your new wheels and tires rebalanced. If it doesn't go away, then you know that wheels and tires aren't the cause. A drop pitman arm won't help solve the death wobble problem but it will help with bump steer.

93xj97347
04-10-2013, 07:32 AM
Get off work soon. Gonna try to go to the jy and get the zj pitmon arm just in case. Then gonna trade wheels and tires and see if that helps. I really need to get this thing going so I can let my fiancee have her car back so if I have to I have a set of 4.5" springs I'll put on and just cut the fenders

4.3LXJ
04-10-2013, 12:11 PM
What you are describing is typical death wobble. Get your pitman are I suppose, but the first thing to do is have someone saw the steering wheel back and forth and see if anything moves that shouldn't. Track bars are suspect in these situations. But also check the frame mount. That is a lot of angle in it with 6.5" lift and also make sure it is parallel. As you suspected, the difference in drag link and trac bar angles can cause death wobble. Been there and done that myself.

93xj97347
04-10-2013, 10:52 PM
I got to lookin at the steering a little more and the tie rod that connects to the drag link I kind of at a bad angle. I was able to get ahold of a little more money to finish it so I took off the knuckles and took them to the machine shop and had them redrill the tie rod holes and sleeve them and tapered them to be able to move the tie rod end to the knuckle. Straightened the angles a lot. But to do this I had to get a drag link for a LHD and now my stabilizer shock won't mount correctly. Tomorrow I'm gonna make a bracket to mount the shock. Didn't make it to the jy for the zj pitmon arm so maybe next few days. I don't know if that will fix it but I did gain about 3" more clearance for the tie rods so that will help too.

Brasscatz
04-10-2013, 11:00 PM
Cool, keep us updated

ArmyGuy45
04-10-2013, 11:05 PM
Pressure wash it to include the inside of your rims and see if you still have a wobble.

93xj97347
04-11-2013, 03:36 AM
http://i1330.photobucket.com/albums/w562/brianself2586/100_3046_zps0608fc25.jpg]. ]

93xj97347
04-11-2013, 03:40 AM
http://i1330.photobucket.com/albums/w562/brianself2586/100_3038_zps0f0b69b0.jpg

diyxj
04-11-2013, 05:10 AM
hey man im new to the site. jus happened to check this thread out and liked ur jeep. looks good! get ur steering probs fixed up yet?

93xj97347
04-11-2013, 05:45 AM
I'm at work right now so hopefully tomorrow. Hopefully update tomorrow night. Hopefully everything will be sucsessfully. I really don't want to have to lower it and cut my fenders more than I already have. Wanna get onto doing other things like designing bumpers and winch mount and fender flairs. No roof rack because I won't be able to fit the carport. Then I need a exo cage and light bar and lots more stuff I want to do

93xj97347
04-11-2013, 10:37 PM
Did the new zj pitmon arm and finished steering today. Still vibrates but not as bad. Gonna try and find someone that makes a new frame mount for the track bar that will lower it about 2"

diyxj
04-11-2013, 10:46 PM
u runnin the track bar with the tie rod end i take it? factory frame mount? is it an adjustable trac bar?

93xj97347
04-12-2013, 02:55 AM
Yeah it has the tie rod end on it. Its still stock. Axle is centered so I waiting to buy a adjustable one. Now that I flipped the tie rods to the top of the knuckle the drag link and track bar are know where near the same angle. I have about 25° difference between the two.

93xj97347
04-12-2013, 04:15 AM
Is there a difference between the RHD and LHD track bars? If so what is the difference between the two? All the track bar brackets I'm finding require me to get the adjustable one

Mudderoy
04-12-2013, 09:25 AM

Were the 35's balanced before putting them on the rig? If so, recently? I'd remove any mud that may be adhering to the tires and try the test drive again. Also what condition are your unit bearings? A bad unit bearing will make noise and allow the wheel/tire to wobble.

Mudderoy
04-12-2013, 10:56 AM
Did the new zj pitmon arm and finished steering today. Still vibrates but not as bad. Gonna try and find someone that makes a new frame mount for the track bar that will lower it about 2"

Check out the beefy track bar at ironman4x4fab.com. Andy is a vendor here. He makes really good stuff.

4.3LXJ
04-12-2013, 10:58 AM
You better fix that. I know you are heading that way. That much difference will give you death wobble. Been there and done that

93xj97347
04-12-2013, 06:31 PM
I looked at the ones from and it looks like there all for LHD. There is now play in the unit bearings and no noise coming from them. Where I live my truck isn't aloud to stay muddy so it was completely pressure washed after I wheeled it. There wheels and tires were brand new 35x12.50x15 general grabbers and new rims and they were all balance when the tires were mounted. I'm ordering the track bar and double shear bracket from iron rock. It only drops it 3/4" but that will get me closer. And I'm gonna take the zj pitmon arm back off to get the drag link and track bar as close parallel

93xj97347
04-19-2013, 07:51 AM
New track bar and mounts will be here Tuesday. I have a alignment scheduled for wends day so I'm hoping I can drive it everyday

93xj97347
04-24-2013, 02:11 PM
Well I got the adjustable track bar and brackets a day early. Got them put on. Even with no steering stabilizer shock its riding a lot better. Hopefully alignment will get the very little vibration I have will be gone

TimmyTXJ
04-25-2013, 01:00 PM
Well I got the adjustable track bar and brackets a day early. Got them put on. Even with no steering stabilizer shock its riding a lot better. Hopefully alignment will get the very little vibration I have will be gone

Fingers crossed for you Brian!

93xj97347
04-27-2013, 01:57 PM
Well I found out my tie rod is flexing and I think that's causing some of my wobble. Gonna try to go to the jy monday and get zj tie rod. Plus why I'm there I'm gonna and get most of then stuff for rear disk conversion and zj booster, master cylinder and prop. valve. Later I'm gonna go out and adjust the steering box to try and get rid of the play I still have after replacing all tie rod ends.

4.3LXJ
04-27-2013, 03:50 PM
Bent that tie rod before eh?

93xj97347
04-27-2013, 04:16 PM
Never bent it before but I had a buddy turn the wheel back and forth while I was checking everything out and I saw it flexing