PDA

View Full Version : Go Ahead. Have a laugh at my expense

Paddletrucker
04-07-2013, 02:16 PM
So........My yard needs to be mowed...BADLY.

In this part of the country, we get a lot of cool weather vegetation. Fescue and all kinds of other funky, juicy weeds RULE this time of year. It usually slips up on me. I've got a 7,000 gallon Koi pond that I was working on, when I walked out in the yard and noticed, "Holy Crap! This stuff is knee deep!" Well, that meant I needed to fire up the 'ol zero turn mower for the first time this year.

After jumping off the dead battery and getting the mower started, I had to air up three tires.:o That done, off I went...terror on wheels. Mow the shit out of this place, as fast as I can so I can start on my lift!!!!:thumbsup: I'd made three passes when I noticed that it wasn't cutting right. One side of the mower deck seemed higher than the other.

Can anyone tell me how you can park a perfectly good working mower in the fall and THE VERY NEXT TIME you fire her up, it's missing pieces to the mowing deck?!?!?:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

While trying to analyze my mowing deck problems, I was cruising (at full speed) through a shady, thinly grown portion of the yard. With sticks full forward and the throttle buried to the stop, I had full attention on the mower deck and it's problems.

All of a sudden.....WHAM!!!! I stopped like I'd run into a brick wall. I'm SURE the back wheels came off of the ground. :D:D It was hard enough that I walked off of the front of the mower and ended up out in front of it.:D:D Of course, the mower died, due to the safety feature that dictates an engine shut down in the event of an empty seat with the deck activated.

Great. I forgot about the cable hanging out of the tree that we use to tie billy goats to when we are vaccinating all the goats.

So, I get under the deck and it looks like there 2,358 feet of cable wound around EVERYTHING. I've spent most of the day that I was going to begin on my lift digging cable out of my mower, and I still don't have the problem with the deck being uneven diagnosed. It looks like I'm missing a part, although I don't know what it is.

Anyhow, I still haven't started the lift, but I thought you all might get a kick out of me getting thrown off the front of my mower running full bore with it tied to a tree by a cable.

My wife hasn't seen the mower tied to the tree yet. She's been gone all day. I can already see her shaking her head and asking, "Is there any whiskey left??"

Brasscatz
04-07-2013, 02:41 PM
LOL, I thought you were going to tell us that you couldn't see the koi pond because of the high grass.... and you drove right in it!

dagod16
04-07-2013, 04:44 PM
Trickle charge the battery during the winter and I aldo have a flat each winter. Sometimes you have more air in one tire than another and tyat can ofset the balance of heigh.

Carves
04-07-2013, 06:16 PM
:worthlesspics:

action pics of course .. :rotfl2:

Wish I only had to mow once a year .. :bang:

Paddletrucker
04-07-2013, 07:05 PM
Wish I only had to mow once a year .. :bang:

Yeah, me too. This is the FIRST time for the year. It's going tobe every few days now 'till Fall.:cry::cry:

bluedragon436
04-07-2013, 07:10 PM
Glad that you didn't drown yourself or the mower in the pond... but I can only imagine you going full speed and being hung up in the tree!! LOL... Hope you are able to figure out the issue with the deck... I know how much it blows to be behind on getting the grass down... especially after taking care of the grass on a 28 acre farm by myself...

Paddletrucker
04-07-2013, 08:23 PM
Hope you are able to figure out the issue with the deck... I know how much it blows to be behind on getting the grass down... especially after taking care of the grass on a 28 acre farm by myself...

I only mow about 1/2 and acre. The other 159 is taken care of by goats, horses, and cows.

The stupid mower deck will only lift up and down in the front. It's missing some piece on one side in the rear. Not knowing what that piece looks like, I can't tell exactly how it works. I gotta find a mower similar to mine and see if I can figure it out. Or....figure out what the piece is so that I can buy a new one.

cpttuna
04-07-2013, 08:32 PM
glad you were not hurt. I always service things like the mower, leaf blower and snow thrower at the end of the season. I do not know about others, but I'm usaually in a hurry to use that particular piece of equipment when the next time comes. Because I know I serviced it and it has not been used by others, it gets a quick check and then put in use.I would have removed the battery, but that's just me. I always leave a note on the machine on what service I performed because I'm not a spring chicken anymore.

Paddletrucker
04-07-2013, 08:49 PM
glad you were not hurt. I always service things like the mower, leaf blower and snow thrower at the end of the season. I do not know about others, but I'm usaually in a hurry to use that particular piece of equipment when the next time comes. Because I know I serviced it and it has not been used by others, it gets a quick check and then put in use.I would have removed the battery, but that's just me. I always leave a note on the machine on what service I performed because I'm not a spring chicken anymore.

That's about how I do it. Everything gets serviced and parked with a full tank of treated fuel to combat condensation and moisture in the fuel. I don't remove the battery, though, because I need to move the thing around to get it out of my way during the winter. I usually start everything around here up and let it run a few minutes periodically. After running it, it still drug, so I'm thinking it's battery replacement time.

I don't know what happened to the deck and its missing piece. It was fine when I quit using it. I guess it came off over the winter one of those times I was moving it around.

nickyg
04-08-2013, 01:20 AM
Man! I just came home from a really weird day/night at work. I needed an adult beverage and a good laugh. and since no one got hurt. I don't feel bad about wetting myself laughing.. I just can't get the visual out of my head.
Thanks for sharing.

XJ Wheeler
04-08-2013, 04:42 AM
I can't imagine how you couldn't have known, as i'm sure you were going around the tree getting closer and closer with every lap. :D

Just kidding, glad you didn't get hurt. Its a good thing its a zero degree, otherwise you would probably still have a steering wheel impression in your gut. Lots can hide in that tall stuff.

cj4a nz
04-08-2013, 05:06 AM
sorry but that has made my day
sound like you have lost a bolt from the side of your deck
don't think we have a walker zero turn parts book at work google your model number some one will have down loaded on some where in this small world

oh and glad your ok

4x4Dalton
04-08-2013, 08:24 AM
Dude I needed that laugh. Glad yer ok. That had YouTube written all over it :D

Paddletrucker
04-08-2013, 01:44 PM
Dude I needed that laugh. Glad yer ok. That had YouTube written all over it :D

Oh, if only there was a camera rolling.:rotfl2::rotfl2: I'm sure when the cable got tight, the rear wheels came off the ground.:p The other end of the cable was tied about 7 feet high in the tree, so it pulled up on the mower as well as stop me.

The cable got caught on the deck some how and stopped me, THAT'S when it started getting wrapped up in the blades.