PDA

View Full Version : The bendix system died

norway_xj
04-03-2013, 02:52 PM
hi , i have a 1992 ( ithink) xj with the bendix electric power boost brakes ..
the electric engine just died , and i wonder what you guys do to make it work? ,
this car are for offroad use only , so i just need something to work . have allready disconnected the abs....

4.3LXJ
04-03-2013, 03:07 PM
Welcome Andre

All you have to do is substitute the non ABS master cylinder and vacuum booster from a non ABS vehicle. If you want a little upgrade, use a double diaphragm booster from a Grand Cherokee if they are available where you are. That ABS system was always problematic

norway_xj
04-04-2013, 11:26 AM
ok , thanx , what motor and what year grand cherokee are i looking for ? and if i cant finde one , can i use any brake booster form any cherokee ???
then the vacum comes from the inntake, like the old days ???

4.3LXJ
04-04-2013, 11:33 AM
Any Grand Cherokee vacuum booster works. There a slight modification of the push rod that needs to be done, but otherwise a complete bolt in

norway_xj
04-04-2013, 12:00 PM
ok , thank you , already mailed four guys that have parts cars :P so i guess i have some q´s when the parts are here :D

meanwhile .... i have the dana rear , did all the danas come with limeted slip ?? are there any trick to make it work better , or do i have to replace it ?

4.3LXJ
04-04-2013, 12:05 PM
The Dana 35s are almost all open differentials. You can lock them, mine is, but you should not run tires over 33" in rocky terrain. However, up there in Norway where you get lots of snow and ice it is not a good idea. The lockers make for interesting driving. Probably the best thing for that is the Detroit True Track. It acts more like a strong limited slip.

Also in your parts search, get the proportioning valve block for the brakes. Another upgrade you might consider if you find some grand cherokees is the rear disc brakes. They will bolt on your axle too. If you get them, get the proportioning valve that goes with them.

norway_xj
04-04-2013, 01:14 PM
The Dana 35s are almost all open differentials. You can lock them, mine is, but you should not run tires over 33" in rocky terrain. However, up there in Norway where you get lots of snow and ice it is not a good idea. The lockers make for interesting driving. Probably the best thing for that is the Detroit True Track. It acts more like a strong limited slip.

Also in your parts search, get the proportioning valve block for the brakes. Another upgrade you might consider if you find some grand cherokees is the rear disc brakes. They will bolt on your axle too. If you get them, get the proportioning valve that goes with them.

why not diff brake with 33´s ?? my car is only offroad , so dont care about no comfort :P :)

so i should have the prop valve anyway , cause i love my drum brakes ;) hahaha :D

4.3LXJ
04-04-2013, 01:16 PM
Yes, you need the proportioning valve.

The D35 s not a strong axle. The weakest part is the C clips on the ends of the axle inside the differential. Big tires and lockers can cause them to pop off or brake the slot in the end of the axle and then there is nothing to hold them in and you loose a wheel, axle and all.