PDA

View Full Version : Track bar upgrade for 4.5" Rough Country

bcso290
04-03-2013, 02:33 PM
I have searched the forum with negative results. Does anyone know if I will have to upgrade my track bar to an adjustable track bar when I put on my 4.5" Rough Country lift. I have seen relocation brackets and don't even know if this is a necessity. Thoughts?

4x4Dalton
04-03-2013, 02:49 PM
You don't need the adjustable but you will have to relocate the trac bar over some. The instructions for the lift will tell you how much. Right off hand I can't remember how much it is.

bcso290
04-03-2013, 03:00 PM
So is a relocation bracket needed or can the relocation be done without the extra expense?

bigjim350
04-03-2013, 03:04 PM
You don't need the bracket. You either need a adjustable trackbar or re-drill the mounting hole for the trackbar on the axle side. As bear said, if you go to the rough country website and download the instructions for the basic 4.5" lift, it will show you how and where to drill the hole.

Sent from my nerdy smartphone

4x4Dalton
04-03-2013, 03:05 PM
All you may have to do is drill a hole but you have to make sure it's a straight true hole when you drill

Mudderoy
04-03-2013, 04:05 PM
My RC 4.5" came with a track bar relocation bracket. I don't like the drill a hole method. There was so little metal left between the stock bracket and nothing!

bcso290
04-03-2013, 05:44 PM
Kind of hoping mine comes with the bracket but I doubt it since it tells you how to drill the hole on thier website. I probably will just buy one. They are not as bad as I thought they might be on price. Oh and by the way my lift and steering stablizer should be here tomorrow. Super stoked!!!

bigjim350
04-03-2013, 05:58 PM
If you got the x-series lift kit, it should come with a adjustable trackbar. If you got the regular lift, it won't come with a trackbar or bracket.

Sent from my nerdy smartphone

Mudderoy
04-03-2013, 06:55 PM
Kind of hoping mine comes with the bracket but I doubt it since it tells you how to drill the hole on thier website. I probably will just buy one. They are not as bad as I thought they might be on price. Oh and by the way my lift and steering stablizer should be here tomorrow. Super stoked!!!

Okay I had to go look at the RC site. Looks like they've changed things. I purchased my lift some five years ago though. I have what they are selling for $459 now. The add a leaf kit. Later I bough the 4.5" leaves from them. Anyway that kit at the time came with a axle end track bar bracket. Now it doesn't.

I checked and if you get the adjustable track bar, or their kit that comes with it, you don't get a bracket. You know since you don't need one. The track bar is adjustable.

Both msmoorenburg and I haven't have very good luck with the RC adjustable track bar. I bent mine and recently Matt bent his. RC was quick to replace mine so customer service is great, they just don't install it for you and frankly I'd rather have something that doesn't bend so easy.

You might want to consider getting the track bar somewhere else. Ironman4x4fab.com has a really good one.

If I could do it over again, I'd get the coils and the leaves from Rough Country. The adjustable lower control arms from Ironman along with his track bar and heavy duty tie rod. I've never priced that out, it could be much more expensive. It would just have saved me money in the long run. ;)

bcso290
04-04-2013, 01:32 AM
The heavy duty track bar and tie rod will have to be the next project. Going to just buy a relocation bracket. Got to be easier than drilling the hole while lying on my back in my garage.

bluedragon436
04-04-2013, 06:43 AM
I would say the bracket would be quite a bit easier as well as more reliable to do.. As said before you would have to make sure it is drilled completely true and straight... so I would def go with the bracket until you can pick up a adj. trackbar...

Mudderoy
04-04-2013, 12:30 PM
I would say the bracket would be quite a bit easier as well as more reliable to do.. As said before you would have to make sure it is drilled completely true and straight... so I would def go with the bracket until you can pick up a adj. trackbar...

Does someone sell a bracket? I didn't see one on RC.