PDA

View Full Version : Has any body done ram assist, I need help

Niac
04-02-2013, 07:20 PM
Before I replaced my steering box I drilled and tapped it for ram assist. I bought a PSC 1-1/2" cylinder kit.
With the XJ jacked up, tires in the air and the ram rod-end loose from the tie rod, the ram does not move or moves just a little when I turn the wheel with the engine running.
It does move to the end of it's stroke in the proper direction once the steering box has neared the end of it's travel and I hear the pressure relief just start. The ram does not seem to offer any resistance to steering when it is hooked up. The ram will overpower the steering box when the hoses are hooked up backward.
Is this the way it is supposed to work? I was expecting the ram to travel with the steering box pitman arm.

xj4life2
04-02-2013, 07:54 PM
Check out this guys site, he has some great pics and step by step instructions. Doesn't sound to me like its set up right so seeing it on another Jeep might help ya
http://www.stu-offroad.com/steering/ramassist/ramassist-1.htm

4.3LXJ
04-02-2013, 08:33 PM
I am heading that way myself. You may not have your box tapped correctly

Niac
04-03-2013, 12:15 AM
Yep. That's where I tapped my box. There are several write ups I looked at before I tapped my box. The bottom port is the hardest one. You ether hit or you don't and I hit mine dead center.

4.3LXJ
04-03-2013, 10:56 AM
Here is a pic of the stock and AGR tapped box. I am not sure your box is tapped correctly

http://i649.photobucket.com/albums/uu215/warriorsuspension/Steeringboxes.jpg

XJ Wheeler
04-03-2013, 03:04 PM
;).

Niac
04-03-2013, 08:25 PM
Thanks for the replies.
I have pics but out of time right now.
This is how I tapped my box. If the link works.

http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l68/gasmanxj/Picture010.jpg

I believe I'm in the same port with the lower one on mine just a different location along the length of the passage.
I did it the same way they did it in the JP mag. article and a bunch of other ones on the web.

I took it out today and the steering is slower when at idle and cold. I locked the front and tooled around in a field today. It seemed to do better but is a little harder to steer at center. I've replaced the pump before I started so it should be up to snuff. I'll have to wait to hit the rocks someday. I'm taking it work tonight.
Thanks again.

4.3LXJ
04-03-2013, 08:29 PM
Well, you can find out by hooking up the pressure line to the pump and not starting the engine. When you turn the steering wheel back and forth it should suck oil out of the pump and use one port one way and the other when it goes the other direction

Niac
04-09-2013, 08:28 PM
It's all good :D
With the wheels in the air their is no resistance. So the steering box turns the wheels to where you want them before there is any pressure built up. Basically there is no steering assist because you don't need it. If the wheels were on the ground there will be resistance so there will be pressure to the ram.:bang:
Another note that is interesting once I drove it I had a dead spot in the center where there was no assist. This was annoying.:cry:
I had drilled out the flow control orifice on my old pump to 5/32". I had no assist at idle. :confused: I had kept the orifice when I changed to a rebuilt pump.
I tried this orifice and could turn the wheel at idle with the locker in and tires aired down with my pinky. This sucked at speed because the steering was so touchy and no feedback. :rolleye0012: The orifice from the rebuilt pump was a loose 7/64". I drilled it out to 1/8" which is less than a 64th over. This gave steering very close to stock, even at idle with the front locked. I need to try this in the rocks yet but it looks like it will work fine.:rotfl2: