PDA

View Full Version : Question about timing mark

xjman1968
03-31-2013, 02:41 PM
I took out the #1 plug. rotated crank, felt for compression, brought the piston up to tdc. well all the way up till it stopped. now question is when the piston is all the way up should timing mark be at zero. or do i continue to turn crank to zero mark then install distributor? is on my 92 cherokee with 4.0. just wanted to know relation of the position being all the way up on compression stroke as to where the timing mark should be. just having a booger of a time. had the valve cover off and both valves were closed when piston was up and stayed closed as i brought the timing mark to zero. just dont think i am putting this distribtor back in the right way. did the whole bring it to tdc on compression stroke and oil gear at eleven then seat distributor thing.

Brasscatz
03-31-2013, 09:36 PM
Here ya go buddy. I hope this helps and answers your questions :D http://www.xjtalk.com/showthread.php?t=6756

xjman1968
04-02-2013, 06:26 PM
is the piston all the way up when the timing mark is on zero? or on its way back down? i brought the piston up till i felt pressure out of the whole. then i continued to turn crank till timing mark was on zero. now at zero, is the piston supposed to be at very top?

4.3LXJ
04-02-2013, 08:43 PM
Yes, it is supposed to be

XJ Wheeler
04-02-2013, 10:52 PM
The piston is to be at the top of the compression stroke (when you feel it expel air out the spark plug hole), that's what signifies TDC. Now the timing mark doesn't have to be at 0°, because you can advance or retard the timing. I'm not sure what its suppose to be for yours.