PDA

View Full Version : Six Ways The 2014 Jeep Cherokee Is Better Than The XJ

ArmyGuy45
03-28-2013, 12:08 AM
Six Ways The 2014 Jeep Cherokee Is Better Than The XJ

Car enthusiasts love the Jeep Cherokee XJ for roughly the same reason rebel armies love the AK-47: It's reliable, cheap, effective, and absolutely classic. Therefore, the reveal of the crossovery 2014 Jeep Cherokee led many Jeep faithful to reach for their nearest available rifle and point it directly at their computer or themselves. They were wrong. The new Cherokee is an improvement in many ways.

I love an XJ just like everyone else. It's the Miata of offroaders. Or maybe the E30 of offroaders. It's the only car you'd ever need or ever want. Go to a forum and ask people what you should buy and they'll tell you an XJ (even if your parameters are: convertible, V8, sports car).

It's styling is classic, which is to say minimalist, which is to say simple, which is to say unrecreatable for the modern world. The hatred of certain Jeep fans towards the new Juke-fighting nose is strong, but those people are probably wrong. I haven't driven the new Jeep, so it's possible it's actually terrible, but there are some simple reasons why this new Cherokee is better.

1. The Original XJ Wasn't A Truck

http://img.gawkerassets.com/img/18isxzbuylmo9jpg/ku-xlarge.jpg

You know that ladder-and-frame XJ you miss? It doesn't exist. When AMC owned Jeep they invested $250 million Reagan-bucks into the XJ and its shorter, narrower, and lower unibody platform. That sound familiar? I'm sure if the Internet existed then everyone would be hearing about how the XJ was going to ruin everything pure about the SJ.

2. It's More Powerful

http://img.gawkerassets.com/img/18isy03hcu6dtjpg/ku-xlarge.jpg

The best version of the XJ was the 4.0-liter inline-six. That's a bulletproof engine. Yet, at best, it produced 190 horsepower and 225 lb-ft of torque. Now you're getting 271 horsepower and 239 lb-ft of torque out of the six-cylinder engine. Want the smaller version? You're still getting 184 horsepower and 171 lb-ft of torque.

3. It's Dimensionally Better

http://img.gawkerassets.com/img/18isy1eu706mbjpg/ku-xlarge.jpg

Comparing a stock XJ to a stock 2014 Cherokee on off-road ability will be fun. Someone will do it. Maybe it will be us. The approach angle, departure angle, and break-over angle are going to be an important part of that.

Here's how they stack up:

Approach Angle: 38º (XJ) versus 29.8º (2014)
Departure Angle: 31º (XJ) versus 32.1º (2014)
Breakover Angle: 21º (XJ) versus 23.2º (2014)
That's fairly similar and, approach angle aside (welcome to the cruel modern world) it's better.

4. It's Taller

http://img.gawkerassets.com/img/18isy2y2xir54jpg/ku-xlarge.jpg

The stock ground clearance on an XJ was 7.3 inches for a stock Cherokee and 8.3 inches for the Upcountry versions. The running ground clearance of the new Trailhawk Cherokee? 8.7 inches. Booyah.

5. Its Crawl Ratio Is Nearly Double

http://img.gawkerassets.com/img/18isy3ppd56ybjpg/ku-xlarge.jpg

The crawl ratio is a measure of the lowest gear a vehicle is capable of getting into, which is important if you're going to try and crawl over something (thus the name). The stock crawl ratio in the Trailhawk is 56:1, nearly double that of the XJ.

6. It's More Fuel Efficient

The best mileage any Jeep XJ with AWD could produce was 20 mpg. The best the Jeep can produce is 31 MPG. We'll see what the Trailhawk ultimately gets, but a disconnectable rear-locker plus the nine-speed transmission means it'll almost certainly be a massive improvement. The big drawback, of course, is no manual transmission. Sad.

http://jalopnik.com/six-ways-the-2014-jeep-cherokee-is-better-than-the-xj-461239031

Figured this would be the BEST place to post this. I will admit, I am more of a wrangler fan than I am a XJ but I still feel that for the cost, you could prob build a better (true) Jeep than this 2014 model.

Carves
03-28-2013, 02:22 AM
I mentioned to the family, XJ expert ... That according to the on-paper statistics, the new cherokee was six ways "better" ...

http://i1143.photobucket.com/albums/n629/carves-oz/Funnies/Whattt01b.jpg

..... and she still hasnt stopped laughing ...

http://i1143.photobucket.com/albums/n629/carves-oz/Funnies/doglaff02.jpg

XJ Wheeler
03-28-2013, 02:24 AM
:rolleyes:I bet i could name more than six ways the XJ is better. :D

cantab27
03-28-2013, 02:44 AM
no solid axles ................................its a mums CAR

TimmyTXJ
03-28-2013, 06:16 AM
Matt over at jalopnik is a good guy but he looks at things from a mass market point of view. Jeep will sell tons of these suvs because it has a lot of desirable options and it will get good mileage. I think its sinfully ugly but thats a matter of personal taste. The true measure of whether this new cherokee is any good or not will come in the numbers... I don't think this Jeep will ever touch 2,000,000 in sales.

gary63
03-28-2013, 08:52 AM
The proof will be in time and $ .How will it does on the trail and how much it will cost to fix and mantain after going offroad. I see it as a mall crawler. It will be like everything that is being made that gets high mileage alot of plastic and thin light weight metal. It is NOT a Cherokee it is a nother suv for the people that need to get to the sale at the mall in bad weather.It is that bad to look at from the side but the front :-p and that is what you will see on a trail when you are pull it out if you can find something to hook on to.

Mudderoy
03-28-2013, 08:55 AM
As I said in a recent interview. I have NO problem with Jeep making a profit. I want Jeep to be around a long time. Please feel free to come out with NEW 4x4 platforms, but please just don't call it a Cherokee.

This Cherokee is like having a butt ugly kid with a butt ugly girl that you hooked up with at a bar, 5 minutes after closing time, and you can't even remember it but she, and the DNA test tell the same story.

TimmyTXJ
03-28-2013, 08:59 AM
As I said in a recent interview. I have NO problem with Jeep making a profit. I want Jeep to be around a long time. Please feel free to come out with NEW 4x4 platforms, but please just don't call it a Cherokee.

This Cherokee is like having a butt ugly kid with a butt ugly girl that you hooked up with at a bar, 5 minutes after closing time, and you can't even remember it but she, and the DNA test tell the same story.

I think I heard that this Cherokee has some Alfa DNA in it... could explain the goofy front.

cantab27
03-28-2013, 12:30 PM
may as well paint em all red .......

denverd1
03-28-2013, 02:03 PM
may as well paint em all red .......

Nah that would imply some serious off-road ability. As well as supreme mechanical performance. Additionally, ya can't polish a turd

ArmyGuy45
03-28-2013, 02:08 PM
Nah that would imply some serious off-road ability. As well supreme mechanical performance as well. Additionally, ya can't polish a turd

Didnt Mythbusters prove that you could?

denverd1
03-28-2013, 02:25 PM
Didnt Mythbusters prove that you could?

I must have missed that one.

NW99XJ
03-28-2013, 03:33 PM
AWESOME INFO....
Thanks for sharing all this.
Definitely brings a different perspective to the table.
(i still want to see a head-to-head match-up between the two)

EekGirl96
03-28-2013, 03:37 PM
I fully agree with what Tony said....this is the ugliest Jeep ever(and thats not just me, it was voted number one in the "top 10 ugliest cars")

It makes me sad that Jeep had to call this a "Cherokee", talk about putting a great name to shame

4.3LXJ
03-28-2013, 03:55 PM
AWESOME INFO....
Thanks for sharing all this.
Definitely brings a different perspective to the table.
(i still want to see a head-to-head match-up between the two)

That might not be such a good deal. That would depend on the criteria. More power available, higher milage computer controlled traction greater crawl ratio and more comfort to name a few. The only place we shine is in two areas. Ground clearance and mods available. Sure you put it up against mine, I can drive over the top and crush it. But I would have to catch it first, which I can't

XJ Wheeler
03-28-2013, 06:23 PM
I think I heard that this Cherokee has some Alfa DNA in it... could explain the goofy front.

It was actually first designed for Alfa Romeo, and Fiat said make it a Jeep. :crazy:

Carves
03-28-2013, 09:08 PM
That might not be such a good deal. That would depend on the criteria. More power available, higher milage computer controlled traction greater crawl ratio and more comfort to name a few. The only place we shine is in two areas. Ground clearance and mods available. Sure you put it up against mine, I can drive over the top and crush it. But I would have to catch it first, which I can't

Yeah ... It would really be like comparing apples to oranges I think ...

The new one will probably be a great little buggy ... just like the XJ was in its day ... and a bunch more brands and models besides ...

... but just IMHO ... the proof of the pudding in a new car,

... is when you go to jam all the camp gear in the back ... that used to fit in the old one, :bang: ... or

... Yep it carries just as much firewood ... but where the hell do I put the chainsaw now :bang:, or,

... How the hell do I fit a CB, Fire extinguisher, two baby seats, winch and bar, roofrack, shovel and hi-lift to That .. :confused::confused:

... all that day to day, sorta stuff ... ;)

Seems pretty pointless to me to sacrifice vehicle useability for bling and so called, electronic driving "enhancements".

Vehicle manufacturers should be free to make and sell ... basic, simple, rough and tumble vehicles and, the new eco-freak, nanny state jellybeans that gov't currently dictates they build.

.... and let the owner choose which vehicle they need for their requirements ... rather than trying to make todays "compromise" vehicles do a variety of tasks.

4.3LXJ
03-28-2013, 09:39 PM
Gotta agree there. Even pickups in the US are becoming Barbie pickups

Dredwolf
03-28-2013, 10:14 PM
Gotta agree there. Even pickups in the US are becoming Barbie pickups

I drove the work 2010 Dodge 3500 recently with a Cummins to pull a flat bed home with my DD '98 Altima on it. It was very impressive, I am still not sure if I ever touched the accelerator again after a gentle press to leave the red lights, even up a decent grade.

But you should not have to spend $50K to something that is more like a real truck. If I can ever afford a new truck, I am going the commercial work truck route...these new trucks are so...luxurious, I would be worried about actually doing any work with one....:crazy:

4.3LXJ
03-28-2013, 10:18 PM
The one ton trucks are fine. But the things like the Avalanche and other wannabes just aren't worth it to me.

XJ Wheeler
03-29-2013, 12:05 AM
Yeah ... It would really be like comparing apples to oranges I think ...

The new one will probably be a great little buggy ... just like the XJ was in its day ... and a bunch more brands and models besides ...

... but just IMHO ... the proof of the pudding in a new car,

... is when you go to jam all the camp gear in the back ... that used to fit in the old one, :bang: ... or

... Yep it carries just as much firewood ... but where the hell do I put the chainsaw now :bang:, or,

... How the hell do I fit a CB, Fire extinguisher, two baby seats, winch and bar, roofrack, shovel and hi-lift to That .. :confused::confused:

... all that day to day, sorta stuff ... ;)

Seems pretty pointless to me to sacrifice vehicle useability for bling and so called, electronic driving "enhancements".

Vehicle manufacturers should be free to make and sell ... basic, simple, rough and tumble vehicles and, the new eco-freak, nanny state jellybeans that gov't currently dictates they build.

.... and let the owner choose which vehicle they need for their requirements ... rather than trying to make todays "compromise" vehicles do a variety of tasks.

Applause - YouTube

Carves
03-29-2013, 12:27 AM
@ XJWheeler

Be careful there cobber ... Overly enthusiatically, agreeing with my senile, arthritic, oldschool views.

Might get you in more strife than flash gordon,

... in this day and age .. ;)

:rotfl2:

XJ Wheeler
03-29-2013, 01:32 AM
@ XJWheeler

Be careful there cobber ... Overly enthusiatically, agreeing with my senile, arthritic, oldschool views.

Might get you in more strife than flash gordon,

... in this day and age .. ;)

:rotfl2:
I'm cool with that. :D

4x4Dalton
03-29-2013, 03:00 AM
It's ok Jake he's hasn't taken his meds today so he's a lil cranky :D :D

XJ Wheeler
03-29-2013, 04:17 AM
Lol, no worries. I'm an old skool thinker too... with a few other things tossed in for surprise.:watermelon:

oderdene
03-29-2013, 10:39 AM
I guess they (chrysler) just want to use a well known proven name for that thing, even liberty sold as cherokee in outside of america. It maybe easier to marketing; to promoting. I just want to compare stock XJ and this baby on moderate difficulty terrain. I will bet on XJ, so you guys?

4.3LXJ
03-29-2013, 12:22 PM
That too would depend on the terrain Od. I watched the promotional vids for the off road test. They stacked the deck so to speak and picked terrain that was flat with good traction They had a dirt road which I could just about navigate with my Subaru Outback. They had a steep rock face that was flat. The reason for this is that when the suspension of the new Cherokee is fully extended to give it ground clearance, there is too much air pressure in the air bags to allow the suspension to flex. So even on relatively flat terrain, there was some wheels in the air. Also given the 9 speed transmission that gives a very good crawl ratio, the new model can stop on that hill and start up much easier. So say I drive it in what you have showed me of terrain in Mongolia, it would outperform a stock XJ. But ........... Start driving it in areas where I live, no it would not. The flexibility of the stock XJ would leave it behind even without traction aids. Also, when an independent suspension flexes, it can decrease the ground clearance under the differential, resulting in bottoming out on relatively short obstacles.

dagod16
03-29-2013, 07:26 PM
Whats the difference in cubic feet between the new cherokee and my 2001 xj cherokee

dagod16
03-29-2013, 08:04 PM
What type of tranny does it have. Aw4. Or a cheap Chrysler tranny, no thanks

4.3LXJ
03-29-2013, 08:31 PM
I don't know what the number is, but the gas has a 9 speed auto and the diesel has an 8 speed. Longevity is unknown to me

gary63
03-29-2013, 09:14 PM
they are useing the cherokee name now so they don't loose the rights to it.as for the tran. more gears more things to go wrong. they havent been uses long to get the bugs out.

dagod16
03-30-2013, 07:16 PM
How does a company lose the rights to a name? Hmmm Also anyone have an answer to my tranny and engine questions?

4.3LXJ
03-30-2013, 07:50 PM
You loose them in court. All names have to be copyrighted and redone periodically

It is as far as I know a Chrysler tranny. All the new models are going to auto trannys that have lots of speeds to help meed CAFE standards

dagod16
03-31-2013, 10:05 PM
I wonder if the tranny is from those super nonreliable Chrysler mini vans. Haha

Mudderoy
04-01-2013, 07:50 PM
Jeep, in an attempt to keep up with the expected sales pace of the new Jeep Cherokee model, Jeep is working on this 2015 Jeep Cherokee concept vehicle!

http://xjtalk.com/images/special/2015-Cherokee-concept.jpg

XJ Wheeler
04-01-2013, 08:03 PM
Saw that, at least they're getting back to the days of AMC. :D

bigjim350
04-01-2013, 11:54 PM
Well Ive already called my buddy at the Spring Jeep dealership and told him to let me know when the 2014 cherokee gets there. Im going to buy one, and it will get wheeled, which is more than I can say for some peoples jeeps......

Carves
04-02-2013, 12:14 AM
Jeep, in an attempt to keep up with the expected sales pace of the new Jeep Cherokee model, Jeep is working on this 2015 Jeep Cherokee concept vehicle!

At least the back windows will be big enough to see out of ... :D:D

Brasscatz
04-02-2013, 07:08 PM
Well Ive already called my buddy at the Spring Jeep dealership and told him to let me know when the 2014 cherokee gets there. Im going to buy one, and it will get wheeled, which is more than I can say for some peoples jeeps......

My company just bought that dealership, I'll see what I can do to get you a good deal. I can't make promises though

4.3LXJ
04-02-2013, 08:42 PM
To be honest, if I was looking to spend that much on an SUV, I would buy one too. I don't have any delusions about serious wheeling. But for what it is designed for, it looks to be a good rig

Dredwolf
04-02-2013, 10:23 PM
^^^^This wheeling would still be cooler than a super modified xj that never goes offroad.

Mine's offroad right now.....up on jackstands, not touching the pavement at all.:P

Stupid fricking :rant::sign0055: bolts!!!

msmoorenburg
04-03-2013, 07:09 AM
My company just bought that dealership, I'll see what I can do to get you a good deal. I can't make promises though

Sign me up too but if it's a buck more than a loaded VW Jetta TDI its a no go :)

dagod16
04-03-2013, 07:28 AM
My ten year old son was looking at the pictures of the rear cargo window and he made the comment" Does it have a space in the back to put stuff" " That widow is small daddy". So even he sees how small that back area is going to be.

Also I'm going to an auction this weekend and they have a jeep 99 Cherokee sport that has only 39,000 miles. Why would a vehicle have that few miles with that age? Maybe it was in storage or something. It's white so I'm not going to buy it. I don't like white vehicles.

ArmyGuy45
04-03-2013, 07:41 AM
My ten year old son was looking at the pictures of the rear cargo window and he made the comment" Does it have a space in the back to put stuff" " That widow is small daddy". So even he sees how small that back area is going to be.

Also I'm going to an auction this weekend and they have a jeep 99 Cherokee sport that has only 39,000 miles. Why would a vehicle have that few miles with that age? Maybe it was in storage or something. It's white so I'm not going to buy it. I don't like white vehicles.

Racist!:rotfl2:

thesupercroc
04-03-2013, 04:07 PM

Well that what spray paint is for!

dagod16
04-03-2013, 06:37 PM
Hahahahahahahahahaha so funny.

oderdene
04-06-2013, 10:29 AM

bigjim tooo