PDA

View Full Version : Junk yard locks (door and ignition)

Infidel Edition
03-27-2013, 08:23 PM
So I was hunting for stuff... when I came across a '92 / '93 ballpark jeep with good door locks and a pair of keys in it.
Single key for ignition & doors...and hatch would be nice.

My situation is the spring on the driver side door is poking out and the passenger side isn't far behind.
PO did swap the steering column for a tilt (don't think that was standard '89 Laredo)
...and not power lock.

A) how close are the locks?
B) if they're power... would that be a PITA?

... or C) just get the $20 set from OReilly?

4.3LXJ
03-27-2013, 08:28 PM
Locks are identical. The locks themselves are the same for power or manual. An internal snap ring holds them in so you will have to remove the panel to access them.

Infidel Edition
03-27-2013, 08:47 PM
Locks are identical. The locks themselves are the same for power or manual. An internal snap ring holds them in so you will have to remove the panel to access them.

What about the ignition switch/cylinder?
I'd love to have just 1 key

4.3LXJ
03-27-2013, 08:48 PM
I am not sure, but I think they are identical too, but don't quote me. Ask a locksmith

Infidel Edition
03-27-2013, 09:01 PM
Cool
They look close in size

But O'Reilly want $20 for the older and $55 for the newer....

Infidel Edition
03-27-2013, 09:06 PM
So the steering column... is currently a tilt column. And the 'locks to 1 side' when the key isn't in the ignition keeps getting stuck
...and won't let go of the key unless I finger it further down ~ in a hole toward the dash.
I'm not sure if the column is right for the year.
Is there a way to tell the year?

nickxj94
03-27-2013, 09:24 PM
So the steering column... is currently a tilt column. And the 'locks to 1 side' when the key isn't in the ignition keeps getting stuck
...and won't let go of the key unless I finger it further down ~ in a hole toward the dash.
I'm not sure if the column is right for the year.
Is there a way to tell the year?

Column may work if the connectors are the same, I know a 92 will work in a 94 lol just done that swap lastnight since my keys got stuck in mine and wouldn't let it start

SENT FROM RIVER VALLEY OFFROAD

gary63
03-27-2013, 10:46 PM
the lock will work the only differents is the backend the chevy has a cut out and the jeed/chry. is flat.we install the lock in steering col. for people who have change out to a tilt in there jeep/dodge/chry..

Infidel Edition
03-28-2013, 11:27 AM
the lock will work the only differents is the backend the chevy has a cut out and the jeed/chry. is flat.we install the lock in steering col. for people who have change out to a tilt in there jeep/dodge/chry..

Cool / Thanks for the reply.
I have the tilt column and know it's not the original as it has cruse control...and I don't.

Awesome! I know what I'm picking up at the junkyard tomorrow!

Infidel Edition
04-01-2013, 03:50 PM
The guy wanted $10 per cylinder (2 doors + hatch) and wouldn't sell the ignition cylinder without the column.
For $20, I can get a set new from OReilly.
... but won't have the single key for everything option.

Brasscatz
04-01-2013, 07:05 PM
Getting new stuff from O'Reilly's for $55 for a one key system is worth the extra $15 over used JY parts

Infidel Edition
04-01-2013, 08:25 PM
Getting new stuff from O'Reilly's for $55 for a one key system is worth the extra $15 over used JY parts

OReilly has $55 - 1 key system?
I'd go that route easy.
The $30 was only 2 doors and hatch. They wouldn't even consider ignition cylinder.
...and there's no guarantee with junkyard parts.

Infidel Edition
04-01-2013, 08:26 PM

I'd go that route easy.
The $30 was only 2 doors and hatch. They wouldn't even consider ignition cylinder.
OReilly has a matched 2 lock set for $20...

Brasscatz
04-01-2013, 11:02 PM
I'd go that route easy.

Oops! I must've misread! Sorry boss :noevil:

gary63
04-02-2013, 08:50 AM
have you check a locksmith to see if what he would charge for a set.O'Reilly and autozone
lock sets sometimes you can't get more keys becouse they won't go into the lock so check them out before you install them ok

Infidel Edition
04-02-2013, 03:32 PM
have you check a locksmith to see if what he would charge for a set.O'Reilly and autozone
lock sets sometimes you can't get more keys becouse they won't go into the lock so check them out before you install them ok

I've blown my budget for the moment with the hubs/calipers in front... and the wiring issues.
!!! I found a set of "get me by for now" tires at the pick'n pull for $100. But I can't find anyone to mount and balance them for less than $95!
What the hell!

Anyway, locks were bumped down the list till next month ~ after I fix the leak in the roof.

4.3LXJ
04-02-2013, 04:10 PM
You must have been asking Les Schwab

Infidel Edition
04-02-2013, 06:09 PM
You must have been asking Les Schwab

Les Schwab wanted $180 +/-
The old service station down the road was $93
A friend's kid is in auto shop (Sr. in HS) and can do it for the cost of the weights... so $5

gary63
04-03-2013, 10:31 AM
what locks do you need both doors ign. and back hatch for what year i will look around and see if i have any around.if i do i will lot you know i can key them up to one key.

Mudderoy
04-03-2013, 10:44 AM

I was chatting with fellow admin, msmoorenburg one day about the passenger lock not being keyed the same on my wife's TJ. After I contacted a locksmith and they wanted something like $200 and have to have the Jeep all day to hear Matt (msmoorenburg) tell me it was easy AND cheap to do it yourself. During a visit to his shop he pulled the lock and key from a XJ he was stripping and handed it to me.

After I was back home I took it apart and saw how the thing worked. I then pulled the lock out of the TJ, made a note of the tumbler numbers and order then went to the Jeep dealership to get those tumblers for the door lock.

The door lock is shorter so it doesn't use as many tumblers. I tried to pay the parts people for the tumblers and they said no, don't worry about it.

Yes, I was at a dealership! lol

Pulled the lock out of the passengers door, put the tumblers in the right order and now the one key works for everything but the glove compartment.

gary63
04-03-2013, 10:56 AM
$200 I need to move to Texas for one r&r and keying a door lock that is a joke. its not hard you just need the parts and time.The taking it out and putting back is most of the time the longest time.Sometimes the keying is harder if you have a worn key and no code.

Infidel Edition
04-04-2013, 07:16 AM
$200 I need to move to Texas for one r&r and keying a door lock that is a joke. its not hard you just need the parts and time.The taking it out and putting back is most of the time the longest time.Sometimes the keying is harder if you have a worn key and no code.

Is the key code part of the VIN? Meaning if I pull from the junkyard, and grab the VIN, is that enough to get keys?

XJ Wheeler
04-04-2013, 01:18 PM
Its not part of the VIN, but you can get the number off the lock. I had that number off the ones from my Squareback and got a key made no problem.

gary63
04-04-2013, 02:20 PM
you can get the key from some vin# but not that old most of the time it has to be in the 2000 and up.Geo will go that far from the first and up. the 80-90 most of the time there a code if not the passenger lock will the less amount of wear.