PDA

View Full Version : Having problem finding parts

kj80
03-24-2013, 09:58 AM
i have a 84 cherokee iv been looking to find rear axle bearing and axle seals. the problem is everytime i look for the parts it always show parts for xj under the hood the sub model says sj. also the parts that iv been looking at doesnt evening look like the old parts iv took off, such as the backing plate that has the outer seal on it which everytime i look at the dana 35's it dont can anyone help. thanks

4.3LXJ
03-24-2013, 10:05 AM
I just got one locally when I needed it. But your 84 has a non C clip axle and in 87 they went to an axle shaft with a C clip to hold it in. They take different axle bearings in the original specs. Now they have a one piece bearing that fits both so it doesn't matter. Just go to the parts store and get a bearing and seal. There is an article on here on how to replace it yourself in the Tech, how to section

whowey
03-24-2013, 05:01 PM
The Non-C clip lasted until sometime in the 1989 model year. It was one of those 'what comes down the line' things. There isn't a solid production serial where you can say after XXXX was C-clip axles and before was.

4WD.com did sell both versions you just had to pick through the parts numbers.

The other option would be to use an 87 Comanche for parts searches.

Don't put any credence in that under hood label. SJ was model designation for the full size Cherokee. The last year for them was 1983 with 1984 being the first year of the XJ. AMC was continually operating on a shoestring budget, so strange strange things occurred in those last few years.

Edit... Napa and O'Reilly/Schnucks/Kragen both show seal and bearing kits for the 84 with the Dana 35

kj80
03-24-2013, 08:49 PM
thanks for the info i really appreciate it