PDA

View Full Version : Whats the best way to access that little twisty radiator plug to drain it?

dagod16
03-24-2013, 05:52 AM
Also if I go through the front light area do I need a special tool to turn it? Pain in my rear to access this thing.:bang:

XJ Wheeler
03-24-2013, 06:10 AM
I have a hard time too. Look up from underneath behind the bumper. You should be able to see it, unless I'm forgetting something that i might have taken off. Anyway, that's how i do it.

cpttuna
03-24-2013, 06:21 AM
many here use the lower radiator hose so that they wil not break the petcock.

Mudderoy
03-24-2013, 09:48 AM
Yep, I never use it. I just drop the lower radiator hose.

nateyz2000
03-24-2013, 10:24 AM
I just pull the front clip... Lol... But yeah, lower radiator hose is easy

dagod16
03-24-2013, 12:10 PM
If I go behind the bumper I dont have the finger strength to twist it in that position. Sounds like I am going to be pulling the lower hose.

Next question..... just got new radiator

Why is my coolant in the radiator a nice and green.
Butt..... the reserve tank is yucky brown

Mudderoy
03-24-2013, 12:26 PM
If I go behind the bumper I dont have the finger strength to twist it in that position. Sounds like I am going to be pulling the lower hose.

Next question..... just got new radiator

Why is my coolant in the radiator a nice and green.
Butt..... the reserve tank is yucky brown

When was the last time you replaced the radiator cap? Have you checked the line running to the overflow to may sure it's free and clear? Next I'd check the over flow to make sure it's open.

dagod16
03-24-2013, 01:26 PM
What does the cap and the line have to do with color.?

Ive never checked the line hmmmm.

The cap was from the old radiator since new one didnt come w one

I did need to tweek the metal tabs on the old radiator cap to make it tighten down.

But why would color of fluid be yucky like that

prerunner1982
03-24-2013, 01:37 PM
But why would color of fluid be yucky like that

The cooling system may have been flushed and refilled before, but not the overflow tank. If the hose or cap is not working then the cooling system can not pull coolant from the overflow tank so the gunk is staying in the over flow and not getting pulled into the cooling system.

bluedragon436
03-24-2013, 01:41 PM
The cooling system may have been flushed and refilled before, but not the overflow tank. If the hose or cap is not working then the cooling system can not pull coolant from the overflow tank so the gunk is staying in the over flow and not getting pulled into the cooling system.

Which is actually nice for the nice clean coolant and the clean system... I would say pull the overflow bottle and that hose... and clean them all out, add a little bit of clean coolant to the bottle when you put it back in, and throw on a new radiator cap... if nothing else it is good to replace every now and gain for optimal performance of the cooling system... (which every little bit of added gain is good with our Jeeps)

bluedragon436
03-24-2013, 01:42 PM
Also if I go through the front light area do I need a special tool to turn it? Pain in my rear to access this thing.:bang:

I tried turning the little valve with pliers through the light area... and that worked... but after only turning it a small bit, I thought better of myself, and just pulled the lower radiator hose... worked far faster and less chance of breaking the petcock off the side of the radiator...

XJ Wheeler
03-24-2013, 02:01 PM
I tried turning the little valve with pliers through the light area... and that worked... but after only turning it a small bit, I thought better of myself, and just pulled the lower radiator hose... worked far faster and less chance of breaking the petcock off the side of the radiator...

Yeah i used pliers too.

dagod16
03-24-2013, 04:00 PM
In the next few days I will drain the reserve and flush the line and reoor4 back.

Any other suggestions

Carves
03-24-2013, 07:18 PM
I attempted to use that plastic drain tap - once ... :bang:

http://i1143.photobucket.com/albums/n629/carves-oz/Vehicle%20Bits/Cooling%20Bits/RadDrainBung.jpg