PDA

View Full Version : That stupid arrow

Paddletrucker
03-23-2013, 06:15 AM
Has anyone ever disabled that idiotic arrow that tells you when to shift?? It really drives me nuts. I don't like things flashing on the dash. I'm to the point of covering it up with electrical tape if I have to. I know I unplugged the low washer fluid light and was wondering g if I could unplug something to dispatch that annoying arrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nickyg
03-23-2013, 06:30 AM
LOL, My low washer fluid light comes on when it's about 3/4 full too. I covered it up with black tape. Great minds think alike.. How did you disable it?

4x4Dalton
03-23-2013, 06:59 AM
LOL, My low washer fluid light comes on when it's about 3/4 full too. I covered it up with black tape. Great minds think alike.. How did you disable it?

To disable the fluid light look on top of the washer bottle under hood. There is a brown connector going to the circle on top. Unplug it no more light.

prerunner1982
03-23-2013, 08:54 AM
Just pull the bulb for the lights you don't want. I generally shift before the light comes on.

4.3LXJ
03-23-2013, 10:05 AM
Yup, pull the bulb

Paddletrucker
03-24-2013, 01:36 AM
I generally shift before the light comes on.

I do too, normally. But then there are times like this morning, when I was driving through the hills on a winding road and was probably enjoying myself a little too much. The light kept coming on and it annoyed me. And there are other times when I'm "playing in traffic" that I'll catch something flash out of the corner of my eye. It'll sometimes take me a second to realize it is that stupid arrow!:bang:

I'm glad it's as easy as pulling a bulb. That's going to be handy. I need to pull my dash apart and replace a bunch of other ones, anyway. I have nothing lit behind my Heat and A/C controls and the panel is really dim.

I'd like to replace them with LED's. Are there LED's made to replace those bulbs? I've done that in my semi and it's the best thing I ever did. In fact, the ONLY lights on my big truck that aren't LED are the headlights, and that may soon change. I love them. I got tired of chasing and replacing lights. I haven't replaced a light since switching to LED's and I think it looks better, too.

4.3LXJ
03-24-2013, 10:19 AM
Yes, I have seen several vendors that have direct replacement LEDs

nateyz2000
03-24-2013, 10:30 AM

Mine too... Pull the plug!

Mudderoy
03-24-2013, 10:36 AM
Has anyone ever disabled that idiotic arrow that tells you when to shift?? It really drives me nuts. I don't like things flashing on the dash. I'm to the point of covering it up with electrical tape if I have to. I know I unplugged the low washer fluid light and was wondering g if I could unplug something to dispatch that annoying arrow.

Oh that's interesting. My wife's 2003 TJ has that. I had no idea they were on XJ's as well, but then again I've never driven a standard XJ.

I'm sure it's just a matter of removing the cluster and disconnecting the bulb. It would be funny if a missing bulb threw a CEL though. :poke:

Paddletrucker
03-24-2013, 12:51 PM
It would be funny if a missing bulb threw a CEL though. :poke:

I think it'd be preferable. My CEL is already on! And...I think it's the on and off of the arrow that annoys me. If it was a light that was on continuously, it wouldn't bother me.

bluedragon436
03-24-2013, 01:01 PM
I think it'd be preferable. My CEL is already on! And...I think it's the on and off of the arrow that annoys me. If it was a light that was on continuously, it wouldn't bother me.

So what you're saying is.... The manufacturers should make the CEL a flashing lights when there is something wrong, not just a constant light?!! :poke::poke:

Mudderoy
03-24-2013, 01:06 PM

My wife is 5'2", so when I found the seat spacers on RoughCountry.com I knew what I had to do. 1.25" lift for the front seats! :D

She can see out much better now, but when I drive it the steering wheel blocks the dash. I can see the flashy light and I have to move my head down a little to double check speed and gauges. Small price to pay to be able to have such a great view though!

I may have to research what it would take to install a tilt steering column in the TJ.

4.3LXJ
03-24-2013, 01:08 PM
My wife is 5'2", so when I found the seat spacers on RoughCountry.com I knew what I had to do. 1.25" lift for the front seats! :D

She can see out much better now, but when I drive it the steering wheel blocks the dash. I can see the flashy light and I have to move my head down a little to double check speed and gauges. Small price to pay to be able to have such a great view though!

I may have to research what it would take to install a tilt steering column in the TJ.

Paul's TJ has one

oderdene
03-24-2013, 06:17 PM
Just put nice smiley on this light :D like this

XJ Wheeler
03-24-2013, 09:47 PM
I do too, normally. But then there are times like this morning, when I was driving through the hills on a winding road and was probably enjoying myself a little too much. The light kept coming on and it annoyed me. And there are other times when I'm "playing in traffic" that I'll catch something flash out of the corner of my eye. It'll sometimes take me a second to realize it is that stupid arrow!:bang:

I'm glad it's as easy as pulling a bulb. That's going to be handy. I need to pull my dash apart and replace a bunch of other ones, anyway. I have nothing lit behind my Heat and A/C controls and the panel is really dim.

I'd like to replace them with LED's. Are there LED's made to replace those bulbs? I've done that in my semi and it's the best thing I ever did. In fact, the ONLY lights on my big truck that aren't LED are the headlights, and that may soon change. I love them. I got tired of chasing and replacing lights. I haven't replaced a light since switching to LED's and I think it looks better, too.

You can surely get LEDs to replace any of the dash bulbs. I've done just that except most of the warning lights (i did do the low washer bulb). The reason is because LEDs (the 194s and others for the dash lights anyway) only work when installed the correct position. The stock bulbs can be put in there either way. So unless the bulb has power you have no way of knowing if its going to work when needed.

But on the rest i certainly suggest LEDs. Another thing I've learnt in doing this is with only LEDs in your dimmable dash lights they don't have enough resistance, so the dimmer becomes mainly an on/off switch. Because of this i used two stock bulbs in the instrument cluster to add back some. I did paint them with high temp black so they don't mess with the look. And be sure to use 360° bulbs.

All the dash bulbs are either T5s or T10s.