PDA

View Full Version : Quitting smoking...

Joliet Johnny
03-23-2013, 03:06 AM
Last Saturday is a story in its self and once all done with lawyers I'll talk about it. But the wife was told she had to quit smoking or else. I have cut back cause now I have to go outside so the many boredom smokes dont happen now. I have decided its a good idea to quit too. Im already down to 1/2 a pack from 2 packs a day. My plan to quit is to go into the woods for a week. That way I can be mean and irritable and not destroy any relationships while my body and mind adjust. Im also going to try to kill the energy drink habit out there, which may be worse than smoking?

I would like to hear how you quit and what you did to make it easier. Also for the past smokers do you thing going into the woods for a week may be a good idea? Or should I go for 2 weeks?

XJScarlet
03-23-2013, 06:09 AM
Patches have been most successful in helping me quit. I have used them both times I have had the most success. It sounds lame, but having suckers around helps. It's staying quit that's hard. Seriously, I wish you the best of luck.

4x4Dalton
03-23-2013, 07:02 AM
I wish you luck bro. I need to stop myself.

editedforsafety
03-23-2013, 09:29 AM
The only thing that worked for me was truly wanting to quit. Other things that helped was telling myself I could not, under any circumstances, smoke at work. For a while, I only smoked when I drank. Not smoking at work kept it from becoming a regular thing again. If you can force yourself through 8 hours without it, it easier to believe that you can keep away from them all the time. From there, I just had to quit going out for a while. I get by fine now with the exception the rare occasions when I do drink, but it's manageable.

4.3LXJ
03-23-2013, 10:18 AM
I have never smoked, but before you throw something at me, I have helped other people in stop smoking programs to quit. So a few words of wisdom on this. The woods thing is a great idea actually. There are several reasons for this. One, you have a habit based on addiction and habitual behavior, such as smoking when drinking, or after eating, or in your favorite chair etc. This habitual behavior triggers a desire to smoke. You may have beaten that part of it by now with the going outside thing and found your level of true addiction. The woods will take care of that type of craving due to a change in circumstances.

As for the energy drink thing, caffeine triggers the desire for nicotine. You may have noticed a desire to smoke with caffeine consumption. So, quitting both is a great idea, however it is difficult. But it can and should be done at least on a temporary basis. So take plenty of aspirin for the headaches. You might end up sleeping for the first day anyway. Two weeks in the woods will be nice, the first week you will get over the habit and you can enjoy the second week. When quitting cold turkey, day three is the worst. After that, it is all downhill. Now with nicotine, there is only one catch. It is the only drug there is where you stay addicted all your life. If you ever smoke again, you will instantly be a two pack a day smoker. So you need to be committed to doing this. And the bottom line is that you are doing it for yourself because you are worth it. Because you care enough about yourself to go through it.

nateyz2000
03-23-2013, 02:30 PM
I quit last week .. for 3 days... But I am really wanting to get serious about it.

Brasscatz
03-23-2013, 04:37 PM
I've been working on my smoking for quite some time now. What Steve said is very true, but let me add something to it. FEAR is a huge factor. The FEAR of not having a smoke. The FEAR of not having any with you "in case you need one". The FEAR of being able to go through your daily life without that little thing there to comfort you. It is very, VERY hard to conquer for me.

I've tried a lot of different things. E-Cigs, cold turkey, Herbal stuff, will power, pipes, toothpicks, sunflower seeds (which now I'm addicted to as well, but I still smoke), and now (again) I'm using nicotine gum. The gum does help with the nicotine craving, but the other 90% of the issue is the MENTAL craving.

If you make a mistake, forgive yourself and get back on the quitting train. I know I WILL win this battle, but it'll be one helluva fight. Good luck to ya bro!

cantab27
03-24-2013, 02:55 AM
water bro and deep breaths everytime ya wanna puff...and keep ya hands busy tis a habit smoking ,,jump in car lite up coffee lite up after food blah blah gotta change habits as well...good luck bro but ya mind has to be in the right place even just to start to stop'....me i only smoke after sex so im down to bout a pack a day.....

Mudderoy
03-24-2013, 04:37 AM
water bro and deep breaths everytime ya wanna puff...and keep ya hands busy tis a habit smoking ,,jump in car lite up coffee lite up after food blah blah gotta change habits as well...good luck bro but ya mind has to be in the right place even just to start to stop'....me i only smoke after sex so im down to bout a pack a day.....

But doesn't the pack get soggy?

XJ Wheeler
03-24-2013, 06:25 AM
Never smoked personally. Mainly because I've seen its evil side.

Most of my family smoked, at least the ones i really knew. I say smoked because because my mom quit to help her in her fight with cancer, and both my grandparents have passed on. One from a heart attack due to blockages, and the other had a stroke and later her heart gave out. Both of them generally healthy people otherwise, but smoked a good bit for many years.

I would say do some research into the effects of smoking. That fear can play a big part in helping your mind make the right decisions.

cpttuna
03-24-2013, 06:31 AM
I decided on the way home in the car from my brother's funeral(he was 50 and a heavy smoker). I kept a full pack in my pocket(heavily scotch tapped so it would like 10 minutes to open the pack) for security. I went cold turkey and was able to quit in 4 days. I was smoking about 2 packs a day and had been smoking for 20 years when I did this. I have not had a cigarette in 22 years.

jaysXJ
03-26-2013, 07:34 PM
I actually need to quit myself, but this is a really good idea. I'm kinda on and off, I've just never had the will to spend 40 or more dollars on patches or gum when I don't even know if it'll work. I was actually thinking of doing this myself. It's been a long time since I got a good feeling out of a cigarette, no matter how much I smoke. It's really all habit, although if I go 8 hours or more I get very irritable. Anyways, when I'm super super busy and I'm not driving like a madman, which is when I smoke the most, I don't really feel the need to smoke. Just try to cut habits that trigger your smoking. for me it was driving, which I stopped smoking while driving now. One thing that might really help out, I don't really know what state you're in, but I know most if not all states have a quit smoking help line, like NC. My buddy got on that and it really helped, they even sent him enough patches and gum to haven no excuse to quit for free.

Niac
03-26-2013, 08:19 PM
Patches.
I smoked for two years and quit for 22yrs. I tried every thing. Even keeping my smokes half a mile down the road behind a rock. I tried Hypnotism, Cold Turkey, Warm Turkey, {man I'm getting hungry} , the worst was the gum. The idiots put the gum in child proof plastic & aluminum packs that you couldn't get open. Finally the patch worked for me.

Brasscatz
03-26-2013, 10:26 PM
Patches.
I smoked for two years and quit for 22yrs. I tried every thing. Even keeping my smokes half a mile down the road behind a rock. I tried Hypnotism, Cold Turkey, Warm Turkey, {man I'm getting hungry} , the worst was the gum. The idiots put the gum in child proof plastic & aluminum packs that you couldn't get open. Finally the patch worked for me.

I have a hard time keeping the gum lit, and the patches rip the skin off my lips.... sorry had to quote Bill Engvall there :D Maybe I should try patches.... seems to have worked for a lot of people. That's the only thing other than hypnotism and acupuncture that I haven't tried.

Mudderoy
03-26-2013, 11:13 PM
I have a hard time keeping the gum lit, and the patches rip the skin off my lips.... sorry had to quote Bill Engvall there :D Maybe I should try patches.... seems to have worked for a lot of people. That's the only thing other than hypnotism and acupuncture that I haven't tried.

I remember Bill on "News Radio" tried to quit smoking on one episode. He asked how many patches could you use at one time? And then he said later "When I pee it smells like an ash tray!"

Mudderoy
03-26-2013, 11:16 PM
I had to stop at a unfamiliar gas station the other day. I managed to get the most fuel in my XJ ever, which was 18.9 gallons. I was really close to being out of fuel. Anyway it was a Wal-Mart I think. They had an ad on the pump, only $43 for a carton of smokes. Holy crap! $43!!!!

I don't know how many are in a carton, and I guess it depends on how many you smoke, but I bet a carton doesn't last a month for most people. I look at everything in how much a month, you know like bills?

:cry:

Brasscatz
03-26-2013, 11:26 PM
10 packs in a carton... I usually buy 4 packs at a time at $19.48... Think of all the Jeep parts I could buy!

Mudderoy
03-26-2013, 11:33 PM
10 packs in a carton... I usually buy 4 packs at a time at $19.48... Think of all the Jeep parts I could buy!

It's like legalizing heroin. I'm surprised it's only $20 and not $100.

4.3LXJ
03-27-2013, 12:16 AM
I helped a couple quit. When done, they used the extra cash to buy resort property in La Pine, OR

89Laredo
03-27-2013, 09:21 AM
Could try ecigs... Lots of flavors and different strengths of nicotine up to 30mg, maybe more.
As a non smoker(very rare pipe/black n mild) the 30mg is pretty strong for me. I switch between no nicotine, 16mg and 30mg depending on whether I'm using my friends stuff or not. I've never been addicted to nicotine, even being heavy on the 30mg for a couple months.
This friends brother is a smoker and has been using the ecig as a substitute, seems to be doing good.

Buy a standalone battery like the E-go passthrough and some good (high vg) juice/cartomizers.