PDA

View Full Version : Been a long time

ArmyGuy45
03-21-2013, 12:20 AM
I am almost done with my last deployment to Afghan. When the wife tells me the check engine light is on.:fail: She just hit 110k, so is this just one of those mileage marker things or something real? I will be back in Germany next month but trying to get an idea of what to expect. How often do O2 sensors go out and how do you know which one does?

PS. She hasnt changed the oil since I have been gone (6 months)

Mudderoy
03-21-2013, 12:23 AM
I am almost done with my last deployment to Afghan. When the wife tells me the check engine light is on.:fail: She just hit 110k, so is this just one of those mileage marker things or something real? I will be back in Germany next month but trying to get an idea of what to expect. How often do O2 sensors go out and how do you know which one does?

PS. She hasnt changed the oil since I have been gone (6 months)

lol sounds about right. Glad to hear from ya. It could be anything really. Do you think you could get her to swing by a AutoZone and let them scan it? Hmmm do they still do that, or just give you the scanner so you can do it. If the parts guy would do it that would be perfect for you. Of course you could always order a scanner from say Amazon for like $25 and talk her through it.

My wife would complain the whole time if it was us, but still worth mentioning as one alternative. :rotfl2:

ArmyGuy45
03-21-2013, 12:28 AM
lol sounds about right. Glad to hear from ya. It could be anything really. Do you think you could get her to swing by a AutoZone and let them scan it? Hmmm do they still do that, or just give you the scanner so you can do it. If the parts guy would do it that would be perfect for you. Of course you could always order a scanner from say Amazon for like $25 and talk her through it.

My wife would complain the whole time if it was us, but still worth mentioning as one alternative. :rotfl2:

Germany doesnt have an Autozone but ill see if one of the mechanics has one. Thx though.

Mudderoy
03-21-2013, 12:29 AM
Germany doesnt have an Autozone but ill see if one of the mechanics has one. Thx though.

Oh! I mis-read it. I thought she was in the states.

bluedragon436
03-21-2013, 12:38 AM
Where at in Germany is she located??

ArmyGuy45
03-21-2013, 12:44 AM
Where at in Germany is she located??

Wiesbaden.

4.3LXJ
03-21-2013, 11:11 AM
Good to hear from you again Matt. If it still runs, probably not serious. The most common thing on the 01 Jeep will be a misfire at idle. The O2 sensor throws a code when the heater in it fails, which doesn't necessarily mean it doesn't work, just that it doesn't heat. As Tony said, scanning will tell

ArmyGuy45
03-21-2013, 11:58 AM
Good to hear from you again Matt. If it still runs, probably not serious. The most common thing on the 01 Jeep will be a misfire at idle. The O2 sensor throws a code when the heater in it fails, which doesn't necessarily mean it doesn't work, just that it doesn't heat. As Tony said, scanning will tell

Thanks. She says no differences in running. Could a check engine light come on for a needed oil change?

4.3LXJ
03-21-2013, 03:00 PM
Don't think so. But there are some codes for recommended service to get you to go to the dealer

XJ Wheeler
03-22-2013, 12:06 AM
If you think she's up to it he her read and follow this. http://www.xjtalk.com/showthread.php?t=11574

ArmyGuy45
03-22-2013, 12:20 AM
Thanks for all the help guys.