PDA

View Full Version : Clunking and low idle

CrazyCory
03-18-2013, 01:08 PM
I have a 92 xj limited. I was wheeling yesterday and when i was done i let her cool down a little bit. then when i went to start her back up she had a really low idle and was sputtering really bad. after a little reving it started running better. also i disengaged my 4wd and got on the road and i had a really bad clunking sound. sounded like it was coming from either my t case or my front diff. i gave it more gas and the clunking eventually went away. any ideas on what these could be??? TIA. Also when wheeling in sand do yall prefer 4hi part time or full time.

prerunner1982
03-18-2013, 01:17 PM
has it done the idle since then? Could have been gunk built up on a port or sensor or the like and when you revved it up it moved the gunk out of the way.

The clunk could have been a couple of things. The tcase may not have completely disengaged and you could have a front axle shaft ujoint or driveshaft ujoint going out.

As far as full time or part time for wheeling in sand.... I would probably use part time to have the same power bias front/rear. I don't think the full time would be necessary on the sand as it would on the road where the traction would vary from sticky pavement to slick water/ice.

CrazyCory
03-20-2013, 09:09 AM
The idle has done this before. It just does it then i rev and it goes away

4.3LXJ
03-20-2013, 10:51 AM
Got a miss in that engine to make it shake like that?

4x4Dalton
03-20-2013, 11:32 AM
This may sound stupid but check the rubber bushings in yer motor mounts. My 95 was acting sorta like that and one of the bushings was shot. At idle the motors running low RPM then once it sped up the sound would go away. Does it also make the sound when you make a turn?

CrazyCory
03-21-2013, 02:54 PM
It does kinda sound like it is missing. But not for sure. I'm a noob to all this. The idle has been fine the past few days. but she still does sound like crap like she is missing. i dont know what it is.

4.3LXJ
03-21-2013, 10:05 PM
The miss might be making things shake. That combined with a weak motor or transmission mount will cause the exhaust to hit stuff