PDA

View Full Version : Throttle body spacer?

william
03-18-2013, 12:52 PM
Since i have to do a headgasket whats the scoop on a throttle spacer good or no good?

prerunner1982
03-18-2013, 01:00 PM
No good for a direct injected engine. They work a lot better on carb or throttle body injected engines. On our Jeeps, it just gives the air further to travel to get to the engine. Some people report slightly better throttle response and a neat whistle sound.

william
03-18-2013, 01:02 PM
Throttle body spacer DAMN PHONE

Mudderoy
03-18-2013, 01:04 PM
I will mention, in case Greg doesn't see this post, that OrangeXJ added one to his 4.0L in his TJ and noted an perceived improvement in gas mileage. No actually mpg measurements, but it doesn't take as much fuel to travel to a nearby city and back.

william
03-18-2013, 01:06 PM
No good for a direct injected engine. They work a lot better on carb or throttle body injected engines. On our Jeeps, it just gives the air further to travel to get to the engine. Some people report slightly better throttle response and a neat whistle sound.

What about cold air?

william
03-18-2013, 01:11 PM
I will mention, in case Greg doesn't see this post, that OrangeXJ added one to his 4.0L in his TJ and noted an perceived improvement in gas mileage. No actually mpg measurements, but it doesn't take as much fuel to travel to a nearby city and back.

Mmmmm would you use one? I'm just thinking i drive 20-25 miles one way to work just tryin to get cheap hp or better gas mileage

prcjeep
03-18-2013, 02:20 PM
I dont have a spacer on mine, but, ive heard the argument both ways as far as being benificial to hp and MPG. I dont think the difference is significant enough to cover the cost over time... several years down the road... maybe it would start saving past the cost of the spacer.

For me, I wouldn't run one unless it was given to me free of charge.

XJ Wheeler
03-18-2013, 02:32 PM
I run the Poweraid on my '92. I haven't done the mpg figures but i did get a little more kick in the lower end rpms. I think it just depends on the vehicle, or the user. Might be too slight for some to feel.

Mudderoy
03-19-2013, 12:26 AM
Mmmmm would you use one? I'm just thinking i drive 20-25 miles one way to work just tryin to get cheap hp or better gas mileage

Based on everything I've read, no. I trust Greg though, so maybe if the spacer was cheap, or I could borrow one I'd try it. I mean it's a very easy mod. I think doing things like getting more air in and exhaust out will be bigger gains, then the little stuff.

Certainly the cold air, however $300 for cold air? Ahhh no. Besides on the outside chance you are faced with high water, well the mpg will go to 0 quickly when you suck up the water.

Metlic53
03-19-2013, 12:31 AM
you can do the cold air for cheaper, all i did was get a K&N filter and hooked it to the exisiting rubber inlet on the T-Body, although that isn't really "COLD" air, its hot air. true cold air would be a snorkel or you could cut a hole right below the wiper arms and stick it in there. theres a writeup on here for it

ScottJD96
03-19-2013, 06:57 AM
Cheap cold air intake and it keeps out water unless you use your jeep like a submarine..

OrangeXJ
03-19-2013, 07:11 AM

yes I did

prcjeep
03-19-2013, 10:18 AM
cheap cold air intake and it keeps out water unless you use your jeep like a submarine..

dive! Dive! Dive!!!