PDA

View Full Version : Goofs mistakes or otherwise bonehead moves.

nickyg
03-17-2013, 04:22 PM
I thought it might be fun to post some of our goofs mistakes or otherwise bonehead moves.

If this is in bad taste or something, please let me know

I don’t have much off-road experience, I would love to hear some.

Here’s one of mine. (I got a million of em)

One day I decided to teach my then 15 year old daughter how to change the oil on the old jeep. We gathered up all the tools and supplies. I showed her all the basic stuff, how to remove the drain plug and remove the filter. And put the new one back on hand tight.
I was holding the funnel as she was pouring in the oil. As She bent down to get the fourth quart. She asks, “ Is it suppose to come out of the bottom still?”
you guessed it, I left out the part about replacing the drain plug.
Dad became a lil less cooler that day.

Mudderoy
03-17-2013, 06:56 PM
We're all human, and I think this is a great way to point out just how human we can be...

Ummmm I'll let cantab go first. :D

4.3LXJ
03-17-2013, 07:24 PM
Gosh, my son just did that today :D

oderdene
03-17-2013, 07:30 PM
:)) :)) :))

Hum Wee JR
03-17-2013, 08:35 PM
I thought it might be fun to post some of our goofs mistakes or otherwise bonehead moves.

If this is in bad taste or something, please let me know

I don’t have much off-road experience, I would love to hear some.

Here’s one of mine. (I got a million of em)

One day I decided to teach my then 15 year old daughter how to change the oil on the old jeep. We gathered up all the tools and supplies. I showed her all the basic stuff, how to remove the drain plug and remove the filter. And put the new one back on hand tight.
I was holding the funnel as she was pouring in the oil. As She bent down to get the fourth quart. She asks, “ Is it suppose to come out of the bottom still?”
you guessed it, I left out the part about replacing the drain plug.
Dad became a lil less cooler that day.
Don't feel bad, I dumped a 5 quart jug in the top and out the bottom today. I choose to think of it as a really expensive engine flush. Sigh, Oh well.

cpttuna
03-17-2013, 08:40 PM
I paid like $159 for the grill guard on my 78 bronco. After about 10 years, I had completely resanded and painted it twice. I finally decide to make a stainless guard. I needed something to keep thebottom piece of ss pipe level so I could weld it to the two sides. the second step of the 3 step step stool worked fine. I ran the pipe through the step stool and welded the sides. The rest is quite obvious. Next step, take stool apart.

cantab27
03-17-2013, 09:38 PM
well i run myself over .....read away......

http://www.xjtalk.com/showthread.php?t=12986

Dredwolf
03-17-2013, 10:01 PM
Today's "jeeze....." counts...

Was getting frustrated with the front leaf spring bolt....having trouble getting a good angle with the 4.5" grinder, etc, etc.

"I'll use the cutting torch!"

Hmmm, regulators aren't quite right...oh well, I'll show these #$%@#$ spring...hmmm, preheat's not doing well, can't start a cut...glad I have this coffee can of water to put out the rubber bushing...why is there smoke coming out of the interior?:confused:

:shocker: OH @$%#@#$$ the interior is smoking!!!:smiley-scared002:

3 bottled waters later....

:pray:

Thankfully it was just the sound deadener smoldering, I am lucky.

And I need to adjust my torch, and make some test cuts with it BEFORE I use it again.

Brasscatz
03-17-2013, 11:42 PM
LOL, awesome thread idea! I might have to give this one some thought :D

nickyg
03-18-2013, 12:39 AM
OUCH!!!!!

4.3LXJ
03-18-2013, 09:36 AM
Let's see, I mean I see every time I look in the mirror this scar above my left eye. Actually two. I just shouldn't wrench left handed. I was working on stubborn shackle nuts on a one ton truck when the wrench slipped and came back and hit my left eyebrow. Off to the hospital to get a few stitches. A year later, working on a 3/4 ton wrench in the left hand it let go again and hit me on the same eyebrow. It was a great shot. The scars line up exactly to make it look like they are only one. I couldn't have done a better job trying to make them match. :D

4x4Dalton
03-18-2013, 12:34 PM
Let's see, I mean I see every time I look in the mirror this scar above my left eye. Actually two. I just shouldn't wrench left handed. I was working on stubborn shackle nuts on a one ton truck when the wrench slipped and came back and hit my left eyebrow. Off to the hospital to get a few stitches. A year later, working on a 3/4 ton wrench in the left hand it let go again and hit me on the same eyebrow. It was a great shot. The scars line up exactly to make it look like they are only one. I couldn't have done a better job trying to make them match. :D

Oh come on Steve that's the only story ya got? Lol :D

4x4Dalton
03-18-2013, 12:38 PM
Guess mine would be workin on front bumper of my 95 when it had brush guard on it. Loosened up the bolts forgot bout brush guard and BAM!!!! I had a knot on my head for a week. And no before anybody asks it didn't knock any sense into me :D

prerunner1982
03-18-2013, 12:52 PM
Spent 4 hours in a hot parking lot trying to replace a fuel pump in my 87 GMC only to find out that my daughter had flipped the switch on the dash and it was on the other tank (no gas).

I am sure I have had a few others, but my wife reminds me of this one fairly often.

prcjeep
03-18-2013, 01:42 PM
Thanks for reminding me I'm not the only 'tard in the bunch!

4.3LXJ
03-18-2013, 03:35 PM
Oh come on Steve that's the only story ya got? Lol :D

I was out in my shop one day and Paul was out there with me. I always encouraged the kids to join me in forging good habits. He had a ball peen hammer in his hand and noticed that if he let it fall on a tire it would bounce a little. Before I could warn him, he reached back into the next county and took a mighty swing with it and hit the tire. It bounced back and nailed him right in the center of his forehead. I tried not to laugh, I really did, honest

4x4Dalton
03-18-2013, 03:53 PM
The whole time thinking...."uh huh bet ya don't do that again" lol

Paddletrucker
03-18-2013, 04:42 PM
:smiley-laughing021: :smiley-laughing021: :smiley-laughing021::smiley-laughing021:

he reached back into the next county and took a mighty swing

Congratulations. My keyboard is now full of 7UP!!

:D:D:D:D

Brasscatz
03-18-2013, 07:02 PM
I was laying under my Jeep putting the front skid back on and I had laid my air ratchet down. My neck got a bit tired holding my head up so I laid it down..... on my air ratchet! The resulting loud BZZZZZZZZ! startled me into jerking my head up.... and my skid plate left a niiiiice bloody gash in my forehead :D

Another time I was removing the u-joints from my axle shafts with an impact socket and a 3 pound sledge. I banged for hours and hours and a chip of the sledge flew off and went THROUGH my jeans and lodged itself in my knee like a bit of shrapnel. A few days later it was pretty infected and my wife had to dig it out. It was so deep you couldn't see it, only feel metal scraping metal with the needle.

4.3LXJ
03-18-2013, 07:20 PM
I have this 3/8" air ratchet that will generate 80# torque at 100 psi. I run it on 175 psi. You have to watch it, it will pin your hand against something hard. Almost impossible to let go. It makes you grab it harder which keeps the air trigger down, which makes you want to grab harder, which makes you wanna .........................

cantab27
03-18-2013, 07:33 PM
put trans in last night all sweet until i trip over the torque converter on floor....mmmmmm...had to start again......

4x4Dalton
03-18-2013, 10:09 PM
put trans in last night all sweet until i trip over the torque converter on floor....mmmmmm...had to start again......

Good lord mate. Either you broke a mirror, kicked a black cat, something or that jeep just don't like you :D

olds-cool
03-18-2013, 10:38 PM
Good topic. If you can't laugh at your own stupidity, well.....

I was parked in a fire lane at work (ok for short term loading). Went in to grab the stuff I needed. I decided to take just the equipment and leave the boxes. I then proceeded to use my igition key to open a few boxes. Took everything outside and loaded up. Got back in to leave and put the key in the ignition. It wouldn't move. Now I'm stuck in the fire lane, and to top it off, it's lunch time and the parking lot was rapidly clearing out, with me int he way. Couldn't even shift into neutral to push the Jeep into a space. Guess I never looked at the key to make sure it was clean after cutting the packing tape. The ingition cylinder is now full of sticky gunk, pocket lint, and tiny bits of tape. Best part, key won't even come back out. Took the next hour to disassemble my column and pull the cylinder. If you've never pulled one of these ignitions out, let's just say it's a stupid design that requires you to turn the key to release the cylinder. Drove around using a screwdriver for a key for a week till I got the cylinder freed up.

4.3LXJ
03-18-2013, 10:52 PM

It's alright mate, saves having torque converter problems :sign0181:

oderdene
03-18-2013, 10:58 PM

lucky you saw TC and remember where it should be :D

otherwise, guess what :smiley-laughing021::smiley-laughing021::smiley-laughing021:

Hum Wee JR
03-18-2013, 11:06 PM
I was out in my shop one day and Paul was out there with me. I always encouraged the kids to join me in forging good habits. He had a ball peen hammer in his hand and noticed that if he let it fall on a tire it would bounce a little. Before I could warn him, he reached back into the next county and took a mighty swing with it and hit the tire. It bounced back and nailed him right in the center of his forehead. I tried not to laugh, I really did, honest
I was young enough and dumb enough to think I could stop that hammer from bouncing. Oh ya, it really hurt to.:bang:

4.3LXJ
03-19-2013, 12:45 AM
I really did try not to laugh

XJ Wheeler
03-19-2013, 10:27 AM
I may never get anything else done because i'll be posting here so much.

XJ Wheeler
03-19-2013, 10:46 AM
Was cleaning off the rust on one of the trailer hitches one day with a wire wheel attached to a 4" angle grinder. I had the hitch balancing on a chair so i could get to certain places. And because my back was starting to hurt by then i had it rather close so i didn't have to lean over much. One thing about wire wheels is they grab any corner or edge with fury. Well, it grabbed one and jerked hard toward my leg. So hard i couldn't stop it. It went straight through my pants and into my leg. Chewed me up pretty good but a few inches over and i would literally be less of a man. :rolleye0012: Count my blessings every day. :p

Should i not of started with that one.

4.3LXJ
03-19-2013, 10:56 AM
Here is another one from the life and times of Steve

I used to have this CJ5.

http://i649.photobucket.com/albums/uu215/warriorsuspension/IMG_0001.jpg

This is the only digital pic I have of it. The little guy got the hammer in the forehead in a previous post. It had a double tubed D44 front I made from scratch with a Powerlock in it, built V6, full float D44 rear with beefed up Powerlock and D18 tcase with special linkage. And last but not least, a custom set of springs I designed and Gabriel racing shocks, same shocks they were using on the Baja stuff.

It was built for air, and as tough as you could make a Jeep. I was in a race, running last and needed to make some spectacular move coming up on the finish. Right before the finish line in front of the stands, there were two berms about two feet tall spaced about 35 feet apart. Everyone slowed way down for the berms and was grouped together. I saw my chance. I could hit the first one and get enough air to clear the second, shift out the front, saw the wheel to the left and hit the gas, drift through the last corner and finish first. So, pedal to the metal. I hit the first and up I went. The crowd was going wild .............. until I hit the top of the second berm. Missed clearing it by a foot. I hit hard enough it bent the front double tubed D44, but not to worry, still functional. But I managed to break the rotor inside the distributor. It started backfiring, slowed to a crawl, they all passed me again and I finished last.

NW99XJ
03-19-2013, 11:24 AM
AS many of you know, I have the NP242 T-case under my 99XJ,
http://img683.imageshack.us/img683/6359/drivelinesye006.jpg

....And as lifts generally require, I had to do a Slip Yoke Elimination.....
Unfortunately, for anything under $800 the only kit out there for the 242 is a Hack-n-Tap.
Which is all fine and dandy.....I had done my research, prepared with all the necessary tools, and had plenty of time to take care of the task at hand.
I measured twice and proceeded to my one cut....
http://img508.imageshack.us/img508/642/drivelinesye008.jpg

Everything was going great.... my cut was clean, square, and accurate.
My drill was good, at the proper depth, and where it was supposed to be.
The tapping of the output shaft was going as well as can be expected...."slow & steady wins the race..."
I was about 95% done....I was thinking to myself...."OK...all I need is a few more threads and I should be good."
I had plenty of cutting oil, and the threads were getting cut nice and clean.
"1/4 turn in....back it almost all the way out....oil, go a 1/4 turn deeper...back it almost all the way out......oil....go a 1/4 turn deeper, repeat...."
http://img20.imageshack.us/img20/5596/drivelinesye011.jpg

I was doing well, and almost at the end when good 'ol Murphy's Law deiced to plop its fat ass down next to me and piss on my parade.....
"oh....I see you are doing a vital modification to your Jeep...."

"and it appears as if you are at a critical moment...."

"and I also see you are almost done......."

"WELL......WE CANT HAVE THAT, NOW CAN WE?!?!?!?!?!"

*S N A P*
http://img849.imageshack.us/img849/5167/drivelinesye014.jpg

....YUP....broke clean off.....
http://img840.imageshack.us/img840/4008/drivelinesye013.jpg

That was fun!
Finally tracked down a replacement shaft, and did it right the next time around, by putting the whole dam thing on a lathe....
THANK YOU MURPHY!!!!!

budgetxjmcknight
03-19-2013, 12:32 PM
While my 89 xj has ran great since I bought it, can't say the same for the wifes zj. It started skipping and sputtering as if the plugs were shot, so easy enough, changed them out, stopped for a few days, then back to skipping. Gradually getting to the point of cutting off in traffic, like it was loosing fuel, still in the back of my head thinking its in the ignition system. Well with the help of bad advice, on went a new coil, still skipped, new wires, still skipped. All the while i think CPS but the bad advice ppl kept saying fuel, dropped the tank, new pump and filter assembly, did good for a day. Finaly, the thing I thought of but was told no way, CPS. Hey fixed it, talk about an expensive and time consuming whoops. :out::bang:

4x4Dalton
03-19-2013, 12:45 PM
Here is another one from the life and times of Steve

I used to have this CJ5.

http://i649.photobucket.com/albums/uu215/warriorsuspension/IMG_0001.jpg

This is the only digital pic I have of it. The little guy got the hammer in the forehead in a previous post. It had a double tubed D44 front I made from scratch with a Powerlock in it, built V6, full float D44 rear with beefed up Powerlock and D18 tcase with special linkage. And last but not least, a custom set of springs I designed and Gabriel racing shocks, same shocks they were using on the Baja stuff.

It was built for air, and as tough as you could make a Jeep. I was in a race, running last and needed to make some spectacular move coming up on the finish. Right before the finish line in front of the stands, there were two berms about two feet tall spaced about 35 feet apart. Everyone slowed way down for the berms and was grouped together. I saw my chance. I could hit the first one and get enough air to clear the second, shift out the front, saw the wheel to the left and hit the gas, drift through the last corner and finish first. So, pedal to the metal. I hit the first and up I went. The crowd was going wild .............. until I hit the top of the second berm. Missed clearing it by a foot. I hit hard enough it bent the front double tubed D44, but not to worry, still functional. But I managed to break the rotor inside the distributor. It started backfiring, slowed to a crawl, they all passed me again and I finished last.

So that explains what ya said bout askin you about the D44 from the other thread :D :D

nickyg
03-19-2013, 01:11 PM
LOL, I always end up with left over parts too.

4.3LXJ
03-19-2013, 01:47 PM
So that explains what ya said bout askin you about the D44 from the other thread :D :D

Yup, ended up eating a little humble pie on that one

4x4Dalton
03-19-2013, 02:45 PM
Yup, ended up eating a little humble pie on that one

Lol hey coulda been worse. Coulda been eatin the steering wheel by the sounds of the landing.

4.3LXJ
03-19-2013, 04:06 PM
Lol hey coulda been worse. Coulda been eatin the steering wheel by the sounds of the landing.

Full racing harness:p

Brasscatz
03-19-2013, 07:20 PM
About 10 years ago I replaced the starter on my dad's Ranger. I couldn't figure out for the life of me why it wasn't engaging and was just sitting there spinning... Took it to a shop and they charged a labor hour to swap the cables back onto the right posts. DUH!

XJ Wheeler
03-19-2013, 07:31 PM
I had basically done a top end rebuild to my Bronco II with one new to me head. I got everything buttoned up, double checked, filled with oil, tighten the belts, blah, blah, blah. Go to start it after a LONG process of this rebuild, and it turns over. Yay, one good thing down. It continues to turn over, but not start. Okay, well now I've screwed up. It doesn't run. Hopefully its something simple. I spent TWO DAYS adjusting timing, checking connectors, checking for spark... Oh wait, DOES IT HAVE FUEL IN IT?!?! Turns out it had a leak by the tank. DOH!!!

4.3LXJ
03-19-2013, 07:51 PM
Well, onward. I used to have this pickup. It wasn't just any pickup, it was a Dodge civilian one ton. Taller than the ford high boys, and massive for a pickup. Straight C channel frame, NP205 tcase, front and rear D70s, Bud wheels, 13' brakes and a big block 383 with headers to push it down the road. It was long, 22 feet including a Braden PTO winch and a 9 foot bed on the back. It rode good considering, but I did a little suspension work on it so it would carry a 5K load comfortably in the corners and accelerate with that on any grade. It was big, black and people got out of the way for it.

It was time to go get some wood, and just happened to be winter. I headed out in the snow to a clear cut in NW Oregon and headed for the landing where there were some nice green alder logs pulled up. Stuff cuts and splits easy. But there was this Nissan pickup in the way. I was very indignant. He finally quit hogging the road so I could get by. He was using his toy chain saw and cutting up little stuff while I got my Stihl saw out and went to work. An hour and a half later, it was time to go. And what was in my way, that puny little Nissan again. He was creeping ever so slowly. Didn't want to hurt that baby, it was squatting with a little wood in the back and doing a good prerunner imitation. By the time we got to the highway I was frustrated. He wouldn't let me pass him. We were at the bottom of a four lane grade. So when we pulled out, I opened it up and let it roar. Left him at the bottom wondering what happened. I hit 60 mph at the top and all of the sudden, huge cloud of steam. Pulled over at the crest and watched that darn little toy pickup go by. I blew a hole in a softplug and it squirted on the hot headers. So I coasted down to the bottom and stopped at a loggers place, borrowed a #12 sheet metal screw, filled it up and drove home. Humble pie again.

But all was not a loss. He had an extensive collection of Ford Edsels :D

4xfishfinder
03-20-2013, 12:52 PM
Went wheeling one day with my lady at the time. (No longer called a lady) So my compass. With the suction cup keeps falling off the windshield. She says" piece of $!&% wont stick to anything. So of course I had to prove her wrong and stuck it to my forhead. Stayed there just fine. Pulled it off and had a perfectly round 1.5" hicky that stayed for about a week. Try. Explaining that to the guys on the job site.

4.3LXJ
03-20-2013, 01:05 PM
LOL, hard hat time :D

nickyg
03-23-2013, 06:16 PM
One day I decided to gave my boat a tune up, new plugs wires cap rotor and points (remember those?)
After I finished I turned the key, crank, crank, crank no start. So I did a few checks . No Spark. I pulled of the distro cap. The points gap looks good. Tested the coil It all looked good. Scratching my head I gave up for the day.
After a few days I got the itch to go out on the boat. I decided to pony up and take it to the marina. I hooked the trailer checked the lights all looked good. I went in the house to grab my wallet. Where I was met by an angry wife. Scolding me
“How many times have I told you to empty your pockets before you put your pants n the hamper, I found this in the dryer ?”
She was holding the distro rotor. All 4 times I had the cap off I never noticed it was missing. I popped it in and it fired right up. And since it was all trailered up…. Off to lake I went.

cantab27
03-23-2013, 10:46 PM
under the dash doing something to do with cb ...flicked screw driver up outta me way ....nice shot...:p

http://i469.photobucket.com/albums/rr52/cantab27/jeepin%20and%20bits/Image0262.jpg

after i fitted first set of muddies ..could do skids on the grass with me old a/t...not this time , she gripped up and put me mates 33s through the rear window............i thought it funny.......:D

http://i469.photobucket.com/albums/rr52/cantab27/Image008.jpg

Carves
03-24-2013, 12:36 AM
Geezzzz you blokes ... :confused:

All this fuss and bother .... over stuff that Ive just come to expect as daily occurrences .. :o

:rotfl2:

Hum Wee JR
05-12-2013, 02:01 PM
The little kid ( all grown up now) with the ball peen hammer strikes again. This time, I changed the tranny fluid in my tj because tranny fluid isn't suppose to be black. Replaced the filter that had extra holes in it. In doing so I managed to pinch a wire and ground an electrical wire tied into the ignition system. Jeep ran fine for a day an then died. Many hours and days of chasing wires with an electrical meter, I got to change my tranny fluid again and fix a wire. Jeep starts and runs great now. In the process of all this I managed to crack the plastic tank on radiator.

http://i649.photobucket.com/albums/uu215/warriorsuspension/Pauls%20TJ/IMG_0250_zps0b56851f.jpg

http://i649.photobucket.com/albums/uu215/warriorsuspension/Pauls%20TJ/IMG_0261_zps14c38738.jpg

Brasscatz
05-12-2013, 05:13 PM
Percentage-wise.... you own this thread :D lol, no worries, we've all done stuff like that. Glad ya got it figured out though!

89Laredo
05-12-2013, 11:49 PM
Buying a fullwidth 8.8 and d44, not thinking about the costs of a swap.

4.3LXJ
05-13-2013, 09:00 AM
Yup, it adds up

nickyg
04-18-2014, 11:09 PM
Well I did it again!
I wanted to relocate my vacuum reservoir from my bumper to inside the engine bay.
I pulled a nice slim one from a mini van at the junkyard.
found a nice place to mount it
http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e236/ramprat101/2014-04-14172219_zps0a53494a.jpg (http://s40.photobucket.com/user/ramprat101/media/2014-04-14172219_zps0a53494a.jpg.html)

It fit real nice
http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e236/ramprat101/2014-04-14171800_zps9f68f8ba.jpg (http://s40.photobucket.com/user/ramprat101/media/2014-04-14171800_zps9f68f8ba.jpg.html)

The problem! Now my hood prop has no where to go.
Back to the drawing board
http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e236/ramprat101/2014-04-14171816_zps1b79b979.jpg (http://s40.photobucket.com/user/ramprat101/media/2014-04-14171816_zps1b79b979.jpg.html)

Brasscatz
04-19-2014, 12:19 AM
Well I did it again!
I wanted to relocate my vacuum reservoir from my bumper to inside the engine bay.
found a nice place to mount it
http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e236/ramprat101/2014-04-14172219_zps0a53494a.jpg (http://s40.photobucket.com/user/ramprat101/media/2014-04-14172219_zps0a53494a.jpg.html)

It fit real nice
http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e236/ramprat101/2014-04-14171800_zps9f68f8ba.jpg (http://s40.photobucket.com/user/ramprat101/media/2014-04-14171800_zps9f68f8ba.jpg.html)

The problem! Now my hood prop has no where to go.
Back to the drawing board
http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e236/ramprat101/2014-04-14171816_zps1b79b979.jpg (http://s40.photobucket.com/user/ramprat101/media/2014-04-14171816_zps1b79b979.jpg.html)

Now would be a perfect opportunity for the hood strut modification :D

XJ Wheeler
04-19-2014, 01:28 AM

My thoughts exactly!!!

Sent via messenger pigeon - i talk, he types.

Rocco83
04-19-2014, 06:22 AM
Was going to add the hood strut idea, but got beat to it twice. Damn sleeping always makes you late to the party.

jimmixj
04-19-2014, 07:43 AM
I was trying to loosen the camgear bolt on a Toyota (or something) by "stacking" a couple of combo wrenches for extra leverage. An extra hard pull and SLIP they came apart! The open end of the top wrench cut my right eyelid open like an opera curtain; how I missed putting my eye out I will never know. Now I get faint everytime I see someone doing that...oh yeah, and I have this really cool "Rambo" scar. LMAO

Rocco83
04-19-2014, 07:50 AM
I was trying to loosen the camgear bolt on a Toyota (or something) by "stacking" a couple of combo wrenches for extra leverage. An extra hard pull and SLIP they came apart! The open end of the top wrench cut my right eyelid open like an opera curtain; how I missed putting my eye out I will never know. Now I get faint everytime I see someone doing that...oh yeah, and I have this really cool "Rambo" scar. LMAO

Pics or it didn't happen! :p it's moments like that you really begin to think someone up there is watching out for you.

abebehrmann
04-19-2014, 11:44 AM

Either that or just use the smaller one from the 97+. Put mine in the same location and fits great.

http://i989.photobucket.com/albums/af15/abebehrmann/DF6046FD-20EA-4509-AEB1-E083C0F3349E_zpsyo0waeji.jpg (http://s989.photobucket.com/user/abebehrmann/media/DF6046FD-20EA-4509-AEB1-E083C0F3349E_zpsyo0waeji.jpg.html)

http://i989.photobucket.com/albums/af15/abebehrmann/08AA5A10-83E3-437A-8E5C-4C64F58284C3_zpso0uc2xgf.jpg (http://s989.photobucket.com/user/abebehrmann/media/08AA5A10-83E3-437A-8E5C-4C64F58284C3_zpso0uc2xgf.jpg.html)

The hood strut idea sure would be cooler though.

Joliet Johnny
04-19-2014, 12:31 PM
2 months after I bought my XJ we got a REAL snow. IL closed all the main roads and I couldnt wait to see what 4wd could do. Of the 80 people on my shift 11 showed up. I had 0 issues getting to work @ 5mph with very bald tires. At work the snow was high enough to cover railcars and uptop it was higher that a Freightliners 5th wheel. On my way home I was curious of road conditions and had no radio yet so I downloaded the WLS AM 890 app and they said I55 was closed from Pontiac to Lake Shore Drive. Made sense as I was the only vehicle on I55 during rush hour. Well I got off and half way home clipped the soft shoulder and went sideways, no worries I saved it. 1/2 mile from home noticed the city of Joliet plowed my subdivision but only the North to south roads and completely ignored the one I live on. I saw tire tracks about a car length in and thought "this has 4lo so shouldn't be a problem" I lined up with the tracks and went as far back as I could. Then I threw it in 4lo and floored it. I made it 1 car length in and buried both axles, while remaining 1ft off the ground. All I had was a POS German folding shovel 2 hrs later someone in a Chevy 1500 pulled me out and cause I had no rear recovery points I still have a bit of towstrap stuck in my right rear spring.

cpttuna
04-19-2014, 06:39 PM
worked on my 78 Bronco one day using a7/16 wrench. I dropped the wrench in the engine compartment. The wrench never hit the ground. I was dumb enough to spend one hour looking for that wrench never finding it.

abebehrmann
04-19-2014, 09:25 PM
worked on my 78 Bronco one day using a7/16 wrench. I dropped the wrench in the engine compartment. The wrench never hit the ground. I was dumb enough to spend one hour looking for that wrench never finding it.

I'm dying to know, whatever happened to the 7/16 wrench?!?!

Firemanray
04-19-2014, 09:35 PM
This wasn't my doing. Yesterday the teenage son of one of my customers forgot to turn off the switch to lift. Happy Easter!!
http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd11/firemanray21/10269636_811798485514886_6627623500740811276_n_zps 1f4c8c96.jpg (http://s223.photobucket.com/user/firemanray21/media/10269636_811798485514886_6627623500740811276_n_zps 1f4c8c96.jpg.html)

Carves
04-20-2014, 12:58 AM
Well I did it again!
found a nice place to mount it .. / ..

It fit real nice

Looks the same as a TJ wrangler one .... I put my TJ one, on the XJs crossmember,

.... didn't mess with the hood support at all .. :D:D

Now .... as for goof mistakes and otherwise bonehead moves ....

..... agreeing that a 40ft long, 2ft high, stone wall ... would look nice, in the yard,

Is probably one .. :rolleyes: .. :D:D

nickyg
04-20-2014, 08:48 AM

I think I found your wrench, want me to send it back to you?

Hum Wee JR
07-15-2018, 11:54 PM
Stepped over the tow chain still attached to the jeep a dozen times today, thinking I need to disconnect that before I drive it. Um..... I didn't. I'm sure not only did the neighbors appreciate me opening up the throttle and speeding through the neighborhood to see how fast it went. But the shower of sparks coming from the 20 feet of chain left them shaking there heads.