PDA

View Full Version : Welcome ol.blue.92!!!

cantab27
03-17-2013, 02:23 PM
Hi ol.blue.92, welcome to the xjtalk forum!

We would love to know more about you and your Jeep. How you found us, etc...

Be sure and check out our XJ TALK SHOW! (http://podcasts.xjtalk.com) It\'s about Cherokees! It\'s like a radio talk show, but from the Internet.

Check out our sister sites, http://www.WranglerTalk.com/ and http://www.di-dah-dit.com/

ol.blue.92
03-17-2013, 02:41 PM
Hello everyone! I'm a new member however not new to this forum. I have resoursed this and other forums for years when it comes to drivability issues. I have finally decided to join so maybe I can get some more specific questions answered! My xj is a 92 all stock ax15 4x4 with 270, 000 miles on 4.0l

4.3LXJ
03-17-2013, 03:01 PM
Ask away

Brasscatz
03-17-2013, 03:13 PM
Hello and welcome! You won't find a more helpful bunch of Jeepers than right here. If one of us doesn't know the answer, somebody on here will! Anytime you want to post up a question, click the "POST!" link up in the nav bar and post away!

XJ Wheeler
03-17-2013, 05:55 PM
The only stupid question is one never asked. ;) Any time feel free to ask.

Welcome to XJTALK!

ol.blue.92
03-17-2013, 10:28 PM
Well my first question I guess would be my engine noise. So it started when i was working about 800 miles from home. I got bored after work one day and was puttering aroung some of their local back country, everything was as normal as always, the temp was near 85 and dry. As I was bebopin along about 35 mph or so there was a sound, definately from the engine compartment, sounded like a hangun had gone off under the hood, ever since that day there is an intermittent sound... more than a tap, less than a knock, but comes and goes sometimes loud, sometimes quiet. Since then has always made tapping/knocking sounds when first started, until it gets warm... any ideas, the truck has 270xxx with no major work i know of, this all started around 235xxx, its verry slowly getting worse and im not ready to lose her!

4.3LXJ
03-17-2013, 10:37 PM
Is your fan hitting the shroud?

Brasscatz
03-17-2013, 11:43 PM
Have you ever tried adding Lucas to your oil when you do an oil change?

ol.blue.92
03-18-2013, 12:15 AM
No the fan isn't hitting the shroud, oddly enough about two weeks after the "big bang" I schmucked a deer on the interstate at 70 mph... didn't even see her coming... I threw in a radiator on the side of the road and wired up the light and its been that way ever since.. however the fan shroud decinigrated with only a few small prices left... so no fan shroud at all.

The Lucus... ya trued it not so sure it actually does anything besides slow drain down.. if its something fixable I would rather go that route!

XJ Wheeler
03-18-2013, 02:40 PM
From what it sounds like i bet its a lifter sticking. My '92 has had the same problem since i got her. What oil are you running?

ol.blue.92
03-18-2013, 11:57 PM
The standard 10w30 Mobil and true gm ac delco filter (worked at a dealer ship, squired a few part over the years)

XJ Wheeler
03-19-2013, 12:07 AM
Might try 5w30 as its a little thinner to help get in smaller spaces. I use it in mine for the winter and gladly it hasn't tapped in a while. And btw, this advice is all based on my assumption that its the lifter sticking.

ol.blue.92
03-19-2013, 12:16 AM
I was thinking that myself but had never heard one make that kind of loud bang before it went to tapping... and its strange that it comes and goes but only at idle. I can drive a 40 mile trip and everthong will be fine and then stop at a stoplight or store for a few moments and it'll start ticking.. then go away?.. I have ran 5w 30 in it just went that lil thicker recently cause of the noise.. I will probly switch back though. Is a cam and lifter/ head rebuild worth it on my bottom end? Keep in mind 270k

Mudderoy
03-19-2013, 12:18 AM
I was thinking that myself but had never heard one make that kind of loud bang before it went to tapping... and its strange that it comes and goes but only at idle. I can drive a 40 mile trip and everthong will be fine and then stop at a stoplight or store for a few moments and it'll start ticking.. then go away?.. I have ran 5w 30 in it just went that lil thicker recently cause of the noise.. I will probly switch back though. Is a cam and lifter/ head rebuild worth it on my bottom end? Keep in mind 270k

I would try some thicker oil, perhaps straight 30 weight and see if that changes the sound. Keep in mind I'm in South Texas and temps never get so low here I have to worry about the oil being too thick. Does the oil pressure go low when you hear the ticking?

ol.blue.92
03-19-2013, 12:23 AM
No usually when the noise is the loudest warming up the gushed reads high... almost peg'd out?
Then reads normal 30-40 when warm

ol.blue.92
03-19-2013, 01:21 AM
*the guage reads high* sorry, stupid smart phone:bang:

XJ Wheeler
03-19-2013, 01:56 AM
My theory is when idling the oil pump isn't pumping as hard so there's not as much oil getting to the top end. Thinner oil will be easier to move when cold, and if your gave is reading really high pressure i think a thicker oil wouldnt be a good idea.

Never heard of the loud bang noise though.

As far as the top end rebuild being worth it. Its hard to say, it really depends on the condition of the bottom end. I've done one on an older engine and it turned out well. But there's no way for me to give you a definite answer on that.

But to help give you an answer on your problem you need to narrow down where its coming from. A mechanics stethoscope comes in handy here. The sticking lifter I've been talking about would be coming from the top of one of the cylinders.

Oh, WAIT. I just had another thought. This also very much sounds like a cracked exhaust manifold. There could have been a loud bang when it cracked and does sometimes give a ticking based on temperature. Take a look around your exhaust manifold for hairline cracks. They are usually around the collector but can be anywhere on there.

ol.blue.92
03-19-2013, 10:28 PM
I will definitely be checking that manifold when I get home... im away for a week or so.. it'll be a bit before I can get back with you. That just blew my mind... I've been wrenching for years and never thought of that I just assumed it had to do with the lifter sound.. but I will defiantly narrow it down to on or two issues.

XJ Wheeler
03-20-2013, 12:56 AM
Lol, ya when the thought came to me it kinda blew mine too. And no problem, let me know how it turns out.