PDA

View Full Version : Hurst Core Shifter

GrumpysMJ
03-16-2013, 01:19 PM
Hay everyone. I've vowed to keep my newly aquired 88 Comanche stock. Its a base model, 4 cyl, 4 speed, and still original. The one mod I've seen advertised is a Hurst Core shifter. Does anyone run one of these. I'm used to the short throw shifter I put in my Mustang and really love it (Barton). Just wondering if the Hurst really takes the slop out of the original 4 speed shifter. If it works, it's the one mod I might make.
Thanks,
GrumpysMJ :patriot:

whowey
03-23-2013, 07:01 PM
It would depend on where the 'slop' is being created at...

If its is coming from the shifter tower, than yes. But if its from the shift rail bushings in the transmission, no.

On my puke-out, I wanted to run a short throw on it for the same reason. But I pulled my shifter out and found out the slop is in the shift rails. So I threw the stock one back on and put a t-handle on it for the complete lack of cool factor.

Hum Wee JR
03-23-2013, 08:45 PM
Never run a hurst shift kit in a jeep. However I had a 59 ranchero that had a column shift 3 speed top loader converted to a floor shift. Witch gave it a long shift throw. The hurst shifter was a major help at reducing the shift throw. Sorry but that's all the help I can be with this as it is my only experience with hurst. I can say that I was happy with there product though.