PDA

View Full Version : Welcome GrumpysMJ!!!

cantab27
03-14-2013, 07:41 PM
Hi GrumpysMJ, welcome to the xjtalk forum!

We would love to know more about you and your Jeep. How you found us, etc...

Be sure and check out our XJ TALK SHOW! (http://podcasts.xjtalk.com) It\'s about Cherokees! It\'s like a radio talk show, but from the Internet.

Check out our sister sites, http://www.WranglerTalk.com/ and http://www.di-dah-dit.com/

GrumpysMJ
03-14-2013, 07:53 PM
Newbie here with an 88 Comanche I picked up from the second owner. As base as you can get, 4 cyl, 4 speed, manual steering. No rust and a re-paint about a year ago. Only up-grade was an Audiovox stereo swapped in some years ago. Only needs a steering box (reman on the way from RockAuto) and an NOS seat cover. Plan to get it to 100% stock and show it. Fun factor--how many 25 year old truckis are out there that are bone stock??? I'll be lurking.
GrumpysMJ :patriot:

bluedragon436
03-14-2013, 08:02 PM
:welcome: to :xjtalk: from Delaware!! That is a nice looking MJ you got yourself there!! It def. looks to be in great condition for it's age...

GrumpysMJ
03-14-2013, 08:20 PM
Yeah, it is. No rust, and floors are as good as the day it was made. Had been garaged kept. Engine needs a good detail. Going to do the usual fluid changes. Bit by bit going to replace the ware items under hood, hoses, vacume lines, give it a good tune up, ect. Bidding on an original 89 radio on e-bay now, and found a site that has NOS seat covers. Has 235-75-15 tires on now but I'm actually going to go down to 215-75-15. The larger tires really throw the gearing off and steering (manual) is a bitch with the large tires. Probably helped to wear down the steering box.
GrumpysMJ

XJ Wheeler
03-14-2013, 10:54 PM
Welcome to the family, Steve. Very interesting project. I think it would be hard to keep from modifying it but on the other hand is a cool idea to basically have a restored Mj (or XJ). I'll admit i have thought of how nice it would be to have my jeep good as new.

GrumpysMJ
03-15-2013, 03:27 AM
Don't really want to mod it. I have an 07 Mustang GT conv. that I can turn to when the modding bug hits. The last few years I've gone to a lot of shows, both entering and judging. Always found a crowd around original older cars and trucks. I figured if I came across the right veh in original shape, I'd grab it. If I do mod it, it will be with the parts that were add-on's from a Jeep dealer back in 88 (I got an original 88 Comanche dealer brosure). Things like a slider rear window, possibly wheels.
GrumpysMJ

XJ Wheeler
03-15-2013, 09:42 AM
Don't really want to mod it. I have an 07 Mustang GT conv. that I can turn to when the modding bug hits. The last few years I've gone to a lot of shows, both entering and judging. Always found a crowd around original older cars and trucks. I figured if I came across the right veh in original shape, I'd grab it. If I do mod it, it will be with the parts that were add-on's from a Jeep dealer back in 88 (I got an original 88 Comanche dealer brosure). Things like a slider rear window, possibly wheels.
GrumpysMJ

I gotcha, period correct accessories. Nothing wrong with that. Its cool that it has no options too, sets it apart.

I like the original paper stuff that goes with the vehicle as well. I've got two original sales brochures (one for the full model range and one for cherokee alone) and two different original advertisements. And for Christmas i got my brother an original press photo for the Cherokee.

TimmyTXJ
03-15-2013, 11:18 AM
Welcome to xjTalk Steve! I think you'll find it pretty difficult to fly under the radar here with such a clean, original MJ! (re your "I'll be lurking" comment)

Two thumbs up for keeping her stock!

GrumpysMJ
03-15-2013, 02:46 PM
Thanks guys. It's probably harder to "mod it" back to stock than it is to alter it. Luckely the previous owners didn't add anything other than an old Audiovox radio which I'm going to change to original. It's finding NOS parts to replace the worn parts. Found a few sites that have some available, like seat covers, weatherstripping, rubber floor mats, that kind of stuff. This weekend all the fluids get changed and new front wheel bearings. New steering box came in and that and tires nex week.
I'm 63 years young, been playing with cars n trucks since my first new car, a 64 Falcon Sprint, and I still get excited about having a new project. It's like an obsession!!!
What's wrong with us???
GrumpysMJ :patriot:

XJ Wheeler
03-15-2013, 07:07 PM
What's wrong with us???

Nothing!!! Its ALL the others that are wrong.:p