PDA

View Full Version : Welded the rear now for the front?

Metlic53
03-13-2013, 12:14 PM
ok guys i welded my dana 35 and it rode great at muddy gras, i was hard on it and nothing broke so i believe it will be fine as long as im not hopping or on rocks. so what should i do about the front? my other jeep is locked in the front and that thing would go through more than my 90 jeep especially on big inclines since the weight is on the front tires and both are getting power.
ive got the posi-loc cable installed on my dana 30 but its open diff, should i get an E-locker for it or weld it or would a lock right be alright? im wondering how the steering would be with something in the front.
it only gets trailered to the trails.

4.3LXJ
03-13-2013, 12:30 PM
Put a lunch box locker in, or the E locker. But don't weld it. You will loose your steering on slick surfaces.

NW99XJ
03-13-2013, 12:32 PM
do not weld the front!!!!
It wont be drivable on the street AT ALL.
What I would do is get (what is called) a "lunch box locker".....they're calle dthis because you open the diff like a lunch box, throw this in and close it up. Dont & done.
Spartan or Aussie are examples of this....they are FAR cheaper than an ARB or an E-locker like an Ected.
I have a Spartan in mine, installed it myself. No special tools required, and is relatively easy to do.
The spartan locker is strong as hell, and has held up very well to all that I have put it thru.
I would highly recommend it to anyone wanting to lock up their front that is on a budget.

bigjim350
03-13-2013, 02:50 PM
He has a CAD d30 with a posi lok, if I read that right. A welded front would be fine on that on the street. Wouldn't lose any steering at all if the posi-lok is unlocked

Sent from my nerdy smartphone

msmoorenburg
03-13-2013, 02:52 PM
knowing its a wheeler i'd weld it up. Just remember to hang on

Metlic53
03-13-2013, 09:11 PM
He has a CAD d30 with a posi lok, if I read that right. A welded front would be fine on that on the street. Wouldn't lose any steering at all if the posi-lok is unlocked

Yeah i have the CAD d30 with posi lok.

knowing its a wheeler i'd weld it up. Just remember to hang on

how would welded front and rear be while in 4LO? would it be able to steer at all trying to cruise through the trails at creekside or would i have to unlock the posi cable first?

4.3LXJ
03-13-2013, 09:45 PM
Yeah i have the CAD d30 with posi lok.

how would welded front and rear be while in 4LO? would it be able to steer at all trying to cruise through the trails at creekside or would i have to unlock the posi cable first?

This is what I was getting at earlier. By welding them both, it will mostly want to go in a straight line and you will constantly have to oversteer. There needs to be some give in it somewhere so it can go around corners

bigjim350
03-13-2013, 09:54 PM
Welded in the front with a posi-lok, would be just like wheeling with a ox locker in the front